DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown spoilers, 9/12

YouHaveUntil5

Usos/Show/Henry over Harper/Rowan/Stardust/Goldust

Bo Dallas over Justin Gabriel - Swagger and Zeb at ringside

Paige over Summer Rae - AJ on commentary - Paige over with the Black Widow - Layla tries to attack after the match but AJ stops her and hits her with the Paige Turner

Mark Henry over Rusev in an arm wrestling contest - Rusev challenges to left handed rematch, attacks Henry after Lana throws powder in his eyes

Dolph Ziggler and his stunt double R-Ziggler over Miz/Mizdow

Jericho and Reigns over Orton and Rollins - Orton and Rollins attack Reigns after the match, but Reigns gets the upper hand to send the crowd home happy

That immediately made me think of the Italian Four Horsemen in DDT and their "Italian powder" (coke thrown in an opponent's face). Now I can't find any of those promos on Youtube and I'm pissed. In the words of Antonio Honda, "FUCK!"

Actually, I did find one and I'm posting it here just so I can watch it, Youtube is being an asshole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMgXvc26at0

EDIT: Good god I can't believed I watched all of that. Didn't think it would confuse me even more... if anyone has seen that match, what the hell happened? Japan is a foreign country. 

8-man tag was fun. LOVED LOVED LOVED Bo-Gabriel. The commentators just had tons of fun here, and I chuckled at JBL referring to Swagger as Biff. Half the match being on the mic, as JBL said, was a bit different too. The AJ-Paige feud continued nicely with them stealing each other's moves. AJ wore her wedding ring on commentary. The Henry-Rusev arm wrestling thing was long, but really good. Unlike Raw, they had a lot of little things here to keep your attention and the commentators took it seriously instead of just making a mockery out of everything in it. The stunt double tag was shockingly good. Truth was fantastic with Dolph, and the commentary was incredibly entertaining tonight. JBL was just on fire being silly the whole night, and was in rare form with the goofy tag match. Paige stole the show with her backstage promo, and the main event was perfectly fine, but nothing too special. Jericho pinning Orton clean should've been played up seriously, but I doubt it will get more than a passing mention on Raw.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/09/wwe-sd-9-12-14.html

Screens -

578c15350902615.jpg

e3d14a350902647.jpg

50893f350902756.jpg

52b65b350902787.jpg

9f750b350909203.jpg

656d59350909274.jpg

ff12f7350909436.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/cer0uofvntt90yy9pb48fb17fsbtlpzx

Curt, great post! Why is Antonio a Japanese name? Also, I feel like I know what was being said in that promo.

The crowd is not saying"what?" But, "fuck!" Right?

Can we get a DDT thread built?

Smack down:

What is that belt?

Jericho pinning Orton is kinda a big deal?

If you are unfamiliar with DDT, then Antonio Honda having that first name is going to be the first and smallest bit of weirdness you encounter. Yoshihiko, the ladder, American Balloon, Dino... there is no way I could even start a thread like that but it should be made.

What I watched was okay (esp. the arm-wrestling match which was so incredibly old school) but I missed a bunch. Good thing mun2 replays tomorrow.

Lana might be the best woman they've ever had at being in character at all times on screen.  She never appears to be thinking "what am I supposed to do?"  She just does what "Lana" would be doing.

I know she's an actress from Florida yet she's better at getting me to suspend my disbelief that she's an evil Russian woman than Brie Bella was at getting me to think she actually loves Daniel Bryan.

• Like 2

I think at this point she's either the best female performer they've ever had or on the shortlist for that title. She adds in so many little touches that make her character and the pairing with Rusev my favorite acts in the company. Then you add in her Instagram videos and social media stuff and she really goes above and beyond. It's kind of weird how the only person in the company that keeps kayfabe in 2014 is an FSU Cowgirl.

Brie Bella is awful but I'm not sure either Bella is capable of actual human emotion so her not being able to convincingly act in love with Bryan on TV isn't a surprise. I was shocked by how awful their chemistry was together on Raw those few times.

Lana is by far the best at actually knowing the character and how to play up that character on social media. Waiting for eons at an airport? What the fuck - why not do a wacky Russian accent video to put your character over. It makes the character more memorable and it makes you care a bit more about the person playing it, which bodes well for a post-WWE future on autograph shows and such.