DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I have such distaste for the ideas put forward by Vows BUT it would suddenly make sense why they are circling the wagons so much on it. It's one thing to justify a decision made years ago because a certain cross section of the fanbase annoys you. It's another to justify the decision that you're making moving forward.

So Captain Marvel is finally getting a new creative team, and it involves the showrunners of Agent Carter. I'm pleased with this news. DeConnick gave Carol a decent personality but couldn't plot well at all. Agent Carter was pretty good, and I like the current plans to continue to have Carol in space. The only thing I don't like is that there will be no SWORD involvement. I need my Brand fix dammit.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/latour-rodriguez-to-stick-with-spider-gwen-following-secret-wars

Happy Latour/Rodriguez/Renzi will remain the creative team on Spider-Gwen after Secret Wars. I was confident about that. Shame the series is on hiatus while that event is occuring. I was unsure whether Spider-Gwen would carry on after #5 or have a new #1. I should have figured it would get a #1 as that seems to be the in thing. A new #1 after just five issues. Should just pick up where they left off and start at #6.

Are they going to publish two different Spider-Man titles concurrently, one with Peter and one with 

Miles Morales

or is Peter going into hibernation for a year or two?  As recently as March, Slott was talking as if he's be writing a Peter Parker Spider-Man title after Battleworld/Secret Wars.

Did Slott not know he was off the title, or was he trying to emulate Vince Russo and work the fans?

Finally read Ant-Man #5, the last issue of the current series (there's a "Last Days of Ant-Man" and a giant-sized Annual coming, but one is a Secret Wars tie-in and the other is probably self-contained and throwaway, if the last 20 years of Annuals are any indication).

My opinion is much the same as it was after #1: taken in a vacuum, this is a really fun comic. But as part of a shared universe it's incredibly frustrating because between FF #16 (wherein he was the leader of a fairly successful superteam and took on Doctor Doom solo and won) and #1, Scott Lang has lost 40 IQ points, his girlfriend*, his job prospects and the respect of all the superheroes who have previously been friendly and supportive, without any explanation other than "Well, he's a down-on-his-luck goofball in the movie, so he needs to be one here!" He is quite literally not the same man he was less than a year ago, with only the barest of explanations (there are some throwaway lines about self-sabotage and "nothing sticking" for him). And yet, it's *really* funny and a genuinely good story. It's one of those situations where the shared history of the MU is a huge negative, because it's every bit as infuriating as it is rewarding.

*Granted, Darla didn't seem super happy with their life in her, like, 3-panel appearance in Avengers World. But it would be nice to see some acknowledgement of the end of the relationship rather than just pretending it never happened.

ETA: This was cross-posted from my Facebook, which is why there are details explained here that basically everyone here is likely to know already.

Edited by Cliff Hanger

Are they going to publish two different Spider-Man titles concurrently, one with Peter and one with

Miles Morales

or is Peter going into hibernation for a year or two? As recently as March, Slott was talking as if he's be writing a Peter Parker Spider-Man title after Battleworld/Secret Wars.

Did Slott not know he was off the title, or was he trying to emulate Vince Russo and work the fans?

I'm waiting to find out:

We get two Spidey books, one with Peter and one with Miles? Might we get one where it's Miles and Peter out of costume as advisor to Morales or there's no Pete at all? Pete's only just come black free of SpOck's control. Speaking of SpOck, I'm hoping he'll get a book under Christopher Yost. I also wonder what's going to happen with Dan Slott. Slott's written Spidey for years. A lot of Spidey characters, could do with a cull. We know Miles and Spider-Gwen will at least survive Secret Wars/Battleworld.

Pretty happy about the announced lined ups so far.

Aaron on Dr. Strange

Waid on Avengers

Spider-Girl with her team

Rumored Lemire on X-Men

Robinson on Squadron Supreme

Pak on Totally Awesome Hulk (probably Amadeus Cho, so he's the best possible writer, though too bad FVL's not doing it with him)

The Agent Carter showrunners on Captain Marvel which I'm fine with as that'll be fresh at least.

I forget who's writing Miles Morales as Spider-Man

Bendis on Iron Man

It's a good line up so far.

/reads BleedingCool rumors about Marvel's plans for the X-line and sees it's actually coming true

Bahahahahaha!!!!! Fuck you, Marvel. Thanks for making it easier to drop your shit without looking back.

/reads BleedingCool rumors about Marvel's plans for the X-line and sees it's actually coming true

Bahahahahaha!!!!! Fuck you, Marvel. Thanks for making it easier to drop your shit without looking back.

Huh? BC has been reporting the mutants leaving Earth for months now yet the current books they have rumors up for today all still seem Earthbound.

Not really excited or interested in much of what they reported. Most of it feels like it has the wrong writers, teams, or somewhat poor direction in general.

Huh? BC has been reporting the mutants leaving Earth for months now yet the current books they have rumors up for today all still seem Earthbound.

Not really excited or interested in much of what they reported. Most of it feels like it has the wrong writers, teams, or somewhat poor direction in general.

Never bought the "exiled into space" stuff, but Lemire does mention the Terrigen Mists covering Earth and having some undisclosed effect on mutants leading to this supposed falling out between the two groups. Marvel using the X-Men to prop up the fucking Inhumans just like they had to prop up the Avengers(bet it'll end the exact same way, too) is pretty laughably transparent. Think I'll try a few Image and Valiant titles now.

Never bought the "exiled into space" stuff, but Lemire does mention the Terrigen Mists covering Earth and having some undisclosed effect on mutants leading to this supposed falling out between the two groups. Marvel using the X-Men to prop up the fucking Inhumans just like they had to prop up the Avengers(bet it'll end the exact same way, too) is pretty laughably transparent. Think I'll try a few Image and Valiant titles now.

Didn't hear that. That is completely unnecessary and dumb. I actually like the Inhumans and like so far of what I've read of Soule's run. That said, I'm still sort of annoyed with where they are currently as I think DnA had the right idea and perfect place for them leading the Kree Empire.

It looks like Cyclops is heading up the non-Earth X-Men.

Holy shit, so that rumor is going to be true? Wow. The balls of those guys.

But no, in no way does the Disney/Fox shit have any influence on what goes on in the comics...

Sure...

BTW, is the best way of keeping up with Marvel comics now still going to the LCS? I saw something about Marvel Unlimited, but that looks like new stuff doesn't hit that for 6 months.