DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'd back up his point about not using anonymous sources, but, well, I tend to believe most of what Meltzer says. 

I thought Breevort denied it convincingly without saying anything that could come back to bite him later.  If the stuff Rich wrote in the last paragraph is true, Breevort could be lying or issuing a carefully worded non-denial, but that doesn't seem like the case.  It seems like Johnson is mostly reading things into his the statement to fit his version of things.  Besides, Rich's sources hinted they were going to stop promoting X-Men for the same reason, which sounds insane given how well the titles sell and the effort they generally put into getting big name creators on the titles.

Marvel gets the merchandising money from the FF movies, don't they?  That came up in one of the marvel movie threads that Disney and Fox cut a deal a few years ago to that effect.  So, promoting FF is still in their interest even if they don't get the movie money?  Apparently, the superhero movies sell a lot of merch for Marvel. 

That's not even getting into the argument that a Fox FF movie probably sells some extra comics for Marvel.  Or that benching one of their most iconic franchises would probably cause a PR nightmare that would damage the property and their core business (comics).  Granted, you have to sell a insane amount of comics to make what you make off one movie, but.....

The FF are characters that could do with a hiatus, just to freshen them up.

Then maybe in the relaunch the writer will break them apart, depower/kill one of them before finally returning to the status quo and leaving the book.

Then maybe in the relaunch the writer will break them apart, depower/kill one of them before finally returning to the status quo and leaving the book.

Most writers on the book have done that anyways.  Isn't James Robinson currently doing some sort of depower/deconstruction of status quo?

What about a Fantastic Four book not titled "Fantastic Four"? Or is calling it "FF" or "Fantastic Force" too close?

There was a Fantastic Force book back in the 1990's.  Actually, I think Breevort wrote it.  Same situations.  There were rumors the title was going to be canceled (and replaced by a new book, Fantastic Force).  Rumors supposedly weren't true, but Marvel decided to use the title anyway.  Think the book was set in the future with new characters.  Vaguely remember Franklin Richards being the main character.

There was also a Fantastic Force mini using alternate dimension characters from Millar's run, iirc.

They've had two FF books lately.  One during Hickman's run starring the Future Foundation kids, the other from Matt Fraction's run starring the "replacement FF" - FF was dimension hopping in the main title.  Don't know that any of those books sold well.

I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing the FF take a break.  I'm not really big fans of the characters, and they seem stale to me even when i like the writers.  I"m not really in favor of benching one of Marvel's iconic titles, though, especially when the only reason seems to be "someone else is going to make money off the movie"

Did the first two FF movies even turn a profit?  I assume they did, since the sequel got made, but both are fairly reviled and poorly reviewed.

Most writers on the book have done that anyways.  Isn't James Robinson currently doing some sort of depower/deconstruction of status quo?

What about a Fantastic Four book not titled "Fantastic Four"? Or is calling it "FF" or "Fantastic Force" too close?

There was a Fantastic Force book back in the 1990's.  Actually, I think Breevort wrote it.  Same situations.  There were rumors the title was going to be canceled (and replaced by a new book, Fantastic Force).  Rumors supposedly weren't true, but Marvel decided to use the title anyway.  Think the book was set in the future with new characters.  Vaguely remember Franklin Richards being the main character.

There was also a Fantastic Force mini using alternate dimension characters from Millar's run, iirc.

They've had two FF books lately.  One during Hickman's run starring the Future Foundation kids, the other from Matt Fraction's run starring the "replacement FF" - FF was dimension hopping in the main title.  Don't know that any of those books sold well.

I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing the FF take a break.  I'm not really big fans of the characters, and they seem stale to me even when i like the writers.  I"m not really in favor of benching one of Marvel's iconic titles, though, especially when the only reason seems to be "someone else is going to make money off the movie"

Did the first two FF movies even turn a profit?  I assume they did, since the sequel got made, but both are fairly reviled and poorly reviewed.

First one did 154 million domestic, and 330 worldwide on a reported budget of 100 million.  So it almost certainly turned a profit, albeit probably not a huge one.

Second one got a budget jump to 130, and did only 131 domestic, and an abysmal worldwide total of 289.  It probably lost money on theatrical, but likely wound up slightly in the black by the time all the revenue streams were in.

Read the first six of Superior Spidey yesterday and today on my commute and lunch. Very enjoyable so far; Slott has a really good handle on Ock as a horrible person who's trying to do good things but doesn't really get how fucked his moral compass is. He has understandable (though not justifying) reasons for every thing he does (with the exception of Massacre, most of his really awful acts to this point are based on specific emotional triggers that make sense for the character, and Massacre is a purely pragmatic and understandable act even if it makes the average cape reader's skin crawl). He wants to protect the innocent, improve people's lives with inventions and get rich doing so, and get the girl. He's just doing those things from the paradigm of an imperious, petty narcissist and it's clear he's gonna break more eggs than he saves. Overall thoughts:

1) Anna Maria is awesome, and watching Otto come over to demolish her and be immediately won over with her brains, charm and chef skills was great fun. I'm glad she's sticking around in Peter's supporting cast, but I feel REALLY bad for her.

2) Boy, sometime between the first time I saw her in a backup strip during the Big Time/pre-Spider Island era and now, Screwball got a lot more evil.  Phishing off her paying customers? That's just not cool. (And is that supposed to be Robert Power as the Jester, or someone else? Because while Screwball's social-media-whore MO kind of fits with the DD villain's, he was always too genuinely nasty to stoop to pantsing JJJ for hashtag fame.)

3) The Massacre story was in general just brutal and difficult to read, largely in a good way. That dawning moment of terror right at the end, for someone who's so cold it takes him a minute to realize he's legitimately scared of something before Otto cuts it off sent chills down my spine.

• Like 1

Read the first six of Superior Spidey yesterday and today on my commute and lunch. Very enjoyable so far; Slott has a really good handle on Ock as a horrible person who's trying to do good things but doesn't really get how fucked his moral compass is. He has understandable (though not justifying) reasons for every thing he does (with the exception of Massacre, most of his really awful acts to this point are based on specific emotional triggers that make sense for the character, and Massacre is a purely pragmatic and understandable act even if it makes the average cape reader's skin crawl). He wants to protect the innocent, improve people's lives with inventions and get rich doing so, and get the girl. He's just doing those things from the paradigm of an imperious, petty narcissist and it's clear he's gonna break more eggs than he saves. Overall thoughts:

1) Anna Maria is awesome, and watching Otto come over to demolish her and be immediately won over with her brains, charm and chef skills was great fun. I'm glad she's sticking around in Peter's supporting cast, but I feel REALLY bad for her.

2) Boy, sometime between the first time I saw her in a backup strip during the Big Time/pre-Spider Island era and now, Screwball got a lot more evil.  Phishing off her paying customers? That's just not cool. (And is that supposed to be Robert Power as the Jester, or someone else? Because while Screwball's social-media-whore MO kind of fits with the DD villain's, he was always too genuinely nasty to stoop to pantsing JJJ for hashtag fame.)

3) The Massacre story was in general just brutal and difficult to read, largely in a good way. That dawning moment of terror right at the end, for someone who's so cold it takes him a minute to realize he's legitimately scared of something before Otto cuts it off sent chills down my spine.

Great post. I have The Superior Spider-Man #1 and the Massacre story from #4-5 not only as the two best stories from The Superior Spider-Man run but also two of my favourite ever Spidey stories.

• 2 weeks later...

Young Avengers Vol. 3. Finished up Gillen's run finally. This particular volume was a solid read. On the whole though I wasn't the biggest fan. Mother was a weak villain that lasted too long. I didn't care for Gillen's making everyone gay or bisexual sans Kate as it felt a bit forced. Miss America was a lot more tolerable than her debut in Vengeance and I enjoyed getting to see her past. That said I'm still not a fan. I also didn't really care for Billy, Teddy, or Prodigy. Nothing wrong with any of them, but there is something about their personalities that just doesn't draw me in too much though I did enjoy the roles they played. Even with me only particularly liking 3 of the team members Gillen writes all of them well enough in the team/family dynamic that I did enjoy the story. It was also nice seeing how Gillen continue Loki's story from where he left off in JIM. I was particularly fond of JIM's ending leading into consequences here. Decent run on the whole, but I still can't seem to care much about Young Avengers.

Daredevil Volumes 5 & 6. Volume Five was a very nice conclusion to everything Waid had been building up since the beginning. I dug the identity of the mastermind behind Matt's trouble and how Waid dealt with Foggy's cancer. It was also nice seeing just how far down Matt was pulled before his comeback. The serpent Society story in vol. 6 was nothing special, but I enjoyed it for the look at Matt's past and how he dealt with helping someone he hated so much. The Silver Surfer story was probably the most disappointing of what I read. It was nothing bad per say though it did make Surfer look like an idiot at times and felt pretty throwaway. Good read overall.

Samnee is stylistic, but is good and fits Daredevil perfectly. McKelvie is nice enough as well, but his art never greatly stood out to me outside of some of the stranger but cool layouts he did in the series. I liked both well enough.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Angela. This was a decent improvement over the first volume. Bendis has a better handle at least on what he wants the characters to be though his Drax is still pretty damn terrible. Angela's entrance into the Marvel universe was ok enough, but it didn't feel particularly big or special. I do like the relationship she forms with Gamora. the Infinity tie-in issues are probably the highlight though I do wish though Bendis's Brand needed to turn the hardass up a notch or two. Even being a decent read overall I still don't get a sense of direction which the book really needs.

Superior Spider-man: Superior Venom. Otto's arrogance continues to be his gradual undoing as he is pissing off and scaring the people closest to Pete while Green Goblin continues to build his power base. The Venom stuff was good. It was nice seeing Doc completely in over his head with symbiot, and I enjoyed seeing Cardiac again. The duel of the goblins was good fun. I especially like that the end result didn't remove Kingsley current status so much as remove him from this particular game. Solid read in the end.

Uncanny X-men #22. For the most part I liked how this all went down though I'm disappointed Hijack seeming went back with Scott and crew. I also don't quite buy the reasoning for Dazzler going back with them either as no one knew her predicament and her rescue was more dumb luck. I did like Dark Beast's involvement though it was a bit too short. Will be interesting seeing where the next story takes the direction of the book as it seems like the Shield stuff is over.

Superior Spider-man: Superior Venom. Otto's arrogance continues to be his gradual undoing as he is pissing off and scaring the people closest to Pete while Green Goblin continues to build his power base. The Venom stuff was good. It was nice seeing Doc completely in over his head with symbiot, and I enjoyed seeing Cardiac again. The duel of the goblins was good fun. I especially like that the end result didn't remove Kingsley current status so much as remove him from this particular game. Solid read in the end.

Hoping to read this over the coming days having finished The Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 4): Necessary Evil recently.