DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

i find the Thor concept very intriguing, not so much for the female aspect, but more for "the unworthy Thor" idea. i'm sure it's been done before, but i've never read it. also i really liked the leaked image regarding this. Not just him not having the power, but someone else having it and going by the name "thor".

the Cap one i'm more ambivalent about. i REALLY liked Brubaker's run with Bucky taking the mantle, and i like the Falcon, but i just really don't care. Hope it goes well tho.

This seems like a Marvel bait and switch for the media rubes.

Well yeah, but it can still be fun in the meantime, like Superior Spider-Man was.

There is nothing stopping it from being a good run. I'm just jaded by these types of promotions that will not even boost sales. 

Wasn't there a Thor Girl at the end of Dan Jurgens run?

This seems like a Marvel bait and switch for the media rubes.

Well yeah, but it can still be fun in the meantime, like Superior Spider-Man was.

There is nothing stopping it from being a good run. I'm just jaded by these types of promotions that will not even boost sales. 

Wasn't there a Thor Girl at the end of Dan Jurgens run?

Yeah, she was a supporting player in Initiative and Youth In Revolt.

I'm waiting for someone to complain that it's dumb for Captain America to be able to telepathically see through the eyes of any bird, mostly because I am one of the 3 people who liked Johns on Avengers and read every issue of the Priest Cap&Falcon and want to see that era referenced.

Daredevil: the Man Without Fear. This is the Miller mini going over Matt's origins. It was a pretty good read overall. At some point I really need to go back and read the good runs on the series. Its strange in that Daredevil doesn't strongly appeal to me, but whenever I read something like this and Waid's run I can't help but find myself enjoying it.

Iron Man: Fatal Frontier. Only read the first three volumes of Gillen's ongoing, but this feels a lot more like what Gillen should have had appearing in the monthly instead of the convoluted story with Arno. I loved the Moon Gold Rush, Udarnik, Tony vs. Doom, etc. This actually built nicely off of the first six issues of the ongoing bringing back the Circle, Eli Warren, and the general idea of Tony vs. societal progress like when he stopped Extremis. This was pretty damn good on the whole and really leaves some nice stuff that hopefully someone will build on sooner than later.

Marvel lost their minds when Miller handed in the final drafts of Man Without Fear. The whole "Daredevil deliberately killing a guy" led to the final issue almost not coming out at all. It took one guy from the bullpen going iinto Ralph Macchio's office and laying out a case for why it had to stay the way Miller submitted it. Macchio then apparently made the same pitch to Defalco and Gruenwald who finally agreed. Miller even called the guy from the Bullpen to personally thank him for going to bat for him.

James

• Like 1

That's really interesting. I remember reading that page for the first time and feeling really uncomfortable about it. There was an old internet urban legend at one point that it was initially a pilot movie for a TV show (where the killing would make more sense, because Hollywood has a hard time with villains who survive), but IIRC that's been basically debunked now--and if anyone around here would know, it'd probably be you.

I honestly didn't think much of it when reading as Matt was still young and pretty damn angry at the moment. It was also kind of the guy's own fault. I thought it was a pretty strong scene. I'm glad they kept it.

Daredevil: the Man Without Fear. This is the Miller mini going over Matt's origins. It was a pretty good read overall. At some point I really need to go back and read the good runs on the series. Its strange in that Daredevil doesn't strongly appeal to me, but whenever I read something like this and Waid's run I can't help but find myself enjoying it.

Daredevil is probably the most consistently good ongoing Marvel series. Get on it!

• Like 1

Hmmmm, not sure I can back the DG Chichester run as "Great". The David Mack run was disappoiting ot me and my hatred for the Kevin Smith run knows no bounds. I love Waid. Its the best DD has been since Kesel!

James

Hmmmm, not sure I can back the DG Chichester run as "Great". The David Mack run was disappoiting ot me and my hatred for the Kevin Smith run knows no bounds. I love Waid. Its the best DD has been since Kesel!

James

I wonder how the chichester/mcdaniel run has aged. I always thought intrinsically that putting DD in a metal suit was odd, as you would assume it effected his radar.

I think the Kesel run is one of the most underrated in last 25 years. Although, whenever its brought up people rave about it, so may e its not underrated anymore. :)

I was absolutely in love with Cary Nord's art on that too short run. I remember also quite liking Joe Kelly's followup run at the time. Between DD and then Superboy around 2000, those two writers did a lot to shape two of my favorite chars.

Kesel also wrote one of the best FF stories in that annual when Ben ends up in the future.

[Plug] i did an interview w Kesel for the kirby collector about his use of jacks characters at dc. [/ plug]

I'm not hugely a fan of Smith's DD, and it's not in the top 5 things he's written, IMO. Probably not top 10. His Green Arrow is probably his best superhero stuff.

But it's not a bad run, and it's one of the weaker stretches DD has had the last 30ish years.

• Like 1

Kesel also wrote one of the best FF stories in that annual when Ben ends up in the future.

[Plug] i did an interview w Kesel for the kirby collector about his use of jacks characters at dc. [/ plug]

His Superboy run with Tom Grummet was Kirby-licious.  Loved it.  I would like to read that interview sometime Mark, where can it be found?

Now for something completely different, I know Cliff Hanger loves him some Marvel Unlimited.  now for one week only you can get a month free for 99 cents! (makes me wish I had a tablet to read these on)

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/marvel-comics-unlimited/?mbid=social_fb

I'm not hugely a fan of Smith's DD, and it's not in the top 5 things he's written, IMO. Probably not top 10. His Green Arrow is probably his best superhero stuff.

But it's not a bad run, and it's one of the weaker stretches DD has had the last 30ish years.

I gotta go with Fowler that Green Arrow run was fun stuff.  Green Arrow was one of my favorites with Smith/Meltzer/Winnick for a while there

His Superboy run with Tom Grummet was Kirby-licious. Loved it. I would like to read that interview sometime Mark, where can it be found?
2nd tjkc tpb i think