DVDVR Message Board

Your most hated wrestler and why?

cwoy2j

I promised words and here they are.

RVD is my least favorite wrestler ever, by far, because he just doesn't get it. His understanding of wrestling is diametrically opposed to mine. I think guys like Flair have an opposing view of what pro wrestling should be to me, but it's not diametrically opposed. It's still something I can appreciate and it still contains details which I love. With RVD, everything he does is against the things I care about in wrestling. He hits his shit. He'll not just no-sell his comebacks, but make sure to sell before that in a way that makes it all the more aggravating that he blows it all off so he can hit his shit. The worst, the very worst, is when someone works his back. 

Which brings me to this point: It's been suggested to me that any bad RVD match is not because of RVD but because the person working with him didn't work in the one specific way that a RVD match can work. Which makes him different than any other wrestler in the history of wrestling. He is the most limiting wrestler ever. 

He's a king of contrived spots, of no-selling his opponents' actions to get himself over, of working dumb.

And now that he's older, it's absolutely obvious that he NEVER got it. He hasn't changed up his act. He hasn't started wrestling differently to make up for his physical decline like any wrestler who knew what he was doing ever did. It wasn't just that his athleticism brought him to the dance and made him stand out, it's that he just doesn't understand the art of professional wrestling at all. He just stumbles through it, high and careless.

He's the worst, not boring or a heatsink like the Harris Brothers, or goofy and glaring like Sid. He's actively offensive in every way.

my top three.

Ric Flair. bring on the hate. i just haven't been entertained by him, ever. i grew up on WWF with little exposure to NWA. his wwf run didnt showcase why he was so immensely popular. plus, he was opposing Savage. by the time the nWo started and i watched nitro regularly, flair was old and i still couldnt see it.

Bradshaw. can't stand him. haven't heard his commentating much, but his in ring was largely terrible for the majority of his career. that hes been with Wwe for going on 20 years is appalling.

Test. the douchiest wrestler ever.

theres lots more that i really dont like. the harris bros. bret hart (always an hbk fan), khali, cena, etc. but i dont despise them like i do the others.

• Like 1

One can do whatever they like, I just find it odd to continually complain about someone that no one on this board seems to really revere or hold in all that high regard.  He's been off TV for half a year, yet he's frequently still brought up with posts that are like "LOOK WHAT THAT DOUCHE IS DOING NOW A PODCAST".  It seems like he's moved on from wrestling, but those who have issues with him haven't.

I didn't care for Justin Credible's run as the champ in ECW, but I don't really think about it all that much.  It's done.  If fans chanted his name, I wouldn't really care that much, because large groups of people (especially wrestling fans) are generally moronic and I hold their opinions and voice in little esteem in any case.

My disdain for the Miz is that he doesn't look remotely tough.  His huffing and puffing and his "mean face" are so laughable.

If I had to pick the one absolute worst Miz moment, it would have to be the I Quit match with Cena for the title. Over The Limit 2011, I think. It was largely due to Miz trying to re-create Orton's performance at Breaking Point 09, and instead delivering the worst psycopath performance in wrestling history. There were other terrible things like Alex Riley being involved the whole time, and one of the more egrigious and uninspired Cena superman comebacks, but Miz's performance in that match still stands out as one of the worst I've seen.

I'd raise your shitty moment with that one time they tried to make him an bad ass heel against Morrison. I mean, Morrison was as sympathetic as a box of rocks in a landfill, but Miz trying to be Stan Hansen was probably the worst thing Miz has ever done.

My Hate List:

1) NEW AGE OUTLAWS. They kind of grew on me with their last run since they just stooged it up. But they were so utterly worthless during their big run. They took up 15-20 minutes per show to do their dumb catchphrases and parodies and nonsense. Their matches almost always completely sucked. They were just the absolute worst. I usually associated anyone who did the big singalong crotch-chop stuff with them with creeps who make out in amusement park lines like those detailed in this Onion article.

2) KONNAN. Man, I might hate him more than the Outlaws. At least the Outlaws were in that one crazy match when it was DX against Foley. Konnan was just worthless every way possible. His awful tank top/Kangol look was also hilariously great. He was like three years behind what the more street Latino kids I knew in high school were dressing.

3) JEFF HARDY. That dude is my age (36) and still dresses and acts like that. It's one thing to be given a dumb gimmick. But it's really clear that this dude lives his life this way, listening to (and apparently making) awful music while trying to make out with Hot Topic trainees.

4) TOMMY DREAMER. I was and will forever be a huge ECW mark. But Dreamer was a snoooooze. I'm totally fine with him letting open wounds scrape against dirty truck exteriors or getting thrown recklessly through like 15 tables at a time. But anytime he did a promo was so terrible -- the crap with him holding his hand above a candle to look intense against Raven, etc. However, Jerry Lawler caning him in the testicles will forever be one of the three or four best moments of my college years.

5) ZACK RYDER. The cause celebre of our time. He's The Macarena of wrestling -- a terrible novelty act who "got over on his own" by making terrible videos and is just absolutely terrible in every way a wrestler can be terrible. He's awful in the ring. He's awful in promos. He's a terrible actor. He's a comedy worker that a bunch of smarter-than-thou fans decided to rally behind for whatever reason. But he has absolutely no discernible talent whatsoever.

6) HULK HOGAN. The wrestling match that made me a fan was Randy Savage beating Tito Santana for the IC Title at Boston Garden. I was 7 or 8 and loved -- LOVED -- seeing the bad guy win via cheating. I've been a heel fan ever since then. Hulkamania Hogan was always the worst to me, ESPECIALLY when I also had cable and could watch The Horsemen and Sting and The Von Erichs. Then his WCW babyface stuff was just beyond awful -- It was bad enough Flair jobbed to him, but it was even worse when Hogan started beefing with Kevin Sullivan's neverending string of terrible "monsters" or Zeus or whatever. Hogan turning heel was a good novelty act for like three weeks. But has anyone gone back to actually watch his promos? Dear lord are they terrible. There's absolutely nothing entertaining about them at all -- him essentially repeating the same things, this time with a god awful forced evil laugh and that ridiculous painted-on beard. He was THE WORST.

7) THE BELLA TWINS. Has any duo gotten more screen time while having less talent than these two? I'll give them some credit for improving in-ring over the past year or so, but that's because they're actually trying as opposed to obviously not caring. They're still pretty worthless after all these years. At least they married/dated well.

8) TEDDY LONG. Ugh. Teddy Long lasted for DECADES without doing one memorable thing. I guess him managing DOOM was decent enough but that was so long ago and didn't last all that long, either.

9) COMMENTATOR JERRY LAWLER -- Obviously not in-ring Lawler. But Lawler has been THE WORST since he debuted as an announcer. His shtick has always been brutal and has just gotten worse with each passing minute. It feels like 65% of those old Raws was him screaming about the "puppies" of partially clad bimbos half his age. He was so aggravating and annoying in all aspects.

10) SHEAMUS. He has consistently good matches and that counts for something. But he just reeks of a dude who is some corporate kiss-ass -- "No problem, Hunter. That supermarket opening looks like a real good time!"

• Like 3

i actually think you would have been really into Zach Ryder in 2009, Gregg. (I say this not remembering if you were watching ECW then or not), but the song and the one cut off leg and the Saved By the Bell moments with Rosa where they filmed it in slow motion, totally breaking all semblance of reality. He had some fun matches that year too. That was then, though.

i actually think you would have been really into Zach Ryder in 2009, Gregg. (I say this not remembering if you were watching ECW then or not), but the song and the one cut off leg and the Saved By the Bell moments with Rosa where they filmed it in slow motion, totally breaking all semblance of reality. He had some fun matches that year too. That was then, though.

I watched zero WWECW. I had a few "gap years" where I just watched Raw and pretty much it. I have zero idea if that stuff was any good.

By one cut off leg, do you mean he wore something like a Flo-Jo look? Because if so, my opinions on him have changed dramatically. The only Ryder I know is the one that my annoying friends from home who are even bigger nerds than I am about pretend wrestling whine and moan about all the time.

• Like 1

Oh, let's see, I've had nearly five decades to buildup the hate... There's just so many to choose from...

Let's start with Kevin Nash, probably because I knew a guy just like him in Seattle, one of those goofs who thinks he's all hot and trendy because he's spouting lines from ten year-old movies and trying to pick up women half his age. Nothing Nash has ever done in the ring has been the least bit interesting, save for losing to Benoit in WCW.

Konnan: Oh how the WON would rhapsodize about this phenom setting records all over Mexico... I rarely agree with Vampiro or Bob Barnett, but they were right about this choad.

HBK: I never bought his human pinball routine and the older he got the more annoying he became. A guy close to my age prancing about to "Sexy Boy" is absurd on all sorts of levels. Factor in his general douchiness behind the scenes and he becomes eminently hateable.

There's a lot of lower-level schmucks, but fortunately most of them are in TNA where I don't have to suffer through their ineptitude.

• Like 1

Holy shit Mr. Positivity really brought the hatred for this post. That being said I agree with just about everything you wrote there.

No, there's a LOT to hate about wrestling. But I just don't join the general ALL OF THIS IS THE WORST THESE WRITERS IF I KNOW VINCE HHH BURIED EVERYONE hate trends. A lot of the week-to-week wrestling anger smarks generally have is just noise. As soon as there's a good episode of Raw or -- even better -- a PPV that knocks things out-of-the-park, everyone all of a sudden raves about the program again.

There's really no one getting a ton of TV time right now that I despise. My least favorite dude who gets regular time is Sheamus, but he at least has decent matches

I won't really pay attention to them (or will just skip them) but he's fine as a good hand in the ring but just awful when asked to do anything more than that. The Miz is fairly terrible but he had that one epic, amazing promo when he was beefing with MVP. It's an all-time great promo.

• Like 1

I watched zero WWECW. I had a few "gap years" where I just watched Raw and pretty much it. I have zero idea if that stuff was any good.

By one cut off leg, do you mean he wore something like a Flo-Jo look? Because if so, my opinions on him have changed dramatically. The only Ryder I know is the one that my annoying friends from home who are even bigger nerds than I am about pretend wrestling whine and moan about all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ6-di_dWzw

• Like 2

Shawn Michaels - Partly for his unprofessional shit that Vince somehow always let him get away with, and partly for WWE trying to tell us he's one of the best ever. FUCK THAT SHIT.

Zach Ryder/Curt Hawkins - Simply for the "I'm the Shawn, he's the Marty" t-shirts these two shithead never-wases wore trying to be funny. Shawn and Marty? These two are more comparable to Tekno Team 2000. Asshats.

Justin Credible - hated his run at the top of ECW. Hated him in X-Factor. Seems like a nice guy when he's getting interviewed on podcasts, but still hate his in-ring stuff.

That's it for guys I really hate. There's guys I never need to see on my television ever again (Kane, CM Punk, Orton, Christian), but no real hate. I'll throw Johnny Smith on the list for my dad's sake. :)

• Like 1

The Flo-Jo look is something I have long dreamed of seeing a wrestler use. Kudos to Zack.

Maybe he's just awful as a babyface? Because he truly is. Him as a stooge heel in that match was fine. He could be a perfectly good guido Stevie Richards.

I hadn't watched that match in years but I actually think Zack looked really good in it. He had a few moments of being not so smooth at the start, but he bumped huge for Christian (the neck snap from the outside in, the corner clothesline, eating the shots from the apron, the shoulder tackle from the top) and he looked pretty good on offense, managing to add some shots in with the abdominal stretch and getting the knee in there for the chinlock and making sure to switch things up. There was a sense of struggle. That has to be his career match, right? Christian was so good that year. He was the master of teasing a spot early in the match and paying it off later, or doing a spot early on and then twisting it later and so good at switching up things match to match. I really liked how Zack took over because Christian went to the top too much and Christian's comeback came because Zack went to the superplex twice, for instance, and the fight for the tornado DDT.

ADDING: HECTOR GARZA

He got SO MUCH lucha-attention in WCW because he had that one nuts dive. But literally every other luchador was better, by a wide margin.

Stooging lucha heel Hector Garza is probably one of my top 25 wrestlers ever. So much better than what he got to display in WCW.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ6-di_dWzw

Shit like this pisses me off. Everyone whines about Zack being buried when Rosa was the only interesting part of any act Zack has ever had. They need to be talking more about Rosa tbh

ADDING: Ted DiBiase, Jr.

"Son of the Million Dollar Man" is probably the easiest gimmick of all-time to get over. "My dad's rich. You're poor." It takes NOTHING more than that and people would want to kill him. They also gave him a golddigger in Maryse as a heat magnet. That dude was such a charisma suck.

I'm adding Jeff Jarrett; if it's one wrestler I wish would shut the fuck up in the ring, it's him.

Edit, to replace "get throat cancer" to "shut the fuck ..." But, seriously; shut the fuck up dude.

ADDING: Ted DiBiase, Jr.

"Son of the Million Dollar Man" is probably the easiest gimmick of all-time to get over. "My dad's rich. You're poor." It takes NOTHING more than that and people would want to kill him. They also gave him a golddigger in Maryse as a heat magnet. That dude was such a charisma suck.

The crazy thing is after seeing Ted in NOAH, I thought he'd do well in WWE. At least he flamed out properly, instead of lingering for years and occasionally tricking people into thinking he had what it took to be a big time player like Cody.

Also, I should add Ed Leslie to my most hated list. Talk about a guy who was never good or interesting in any one of his million gimmicks. Pays to be friends with Hogan, I guess.