DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

I guess I'm alone in actually enjoying the Costa Rica-Greece game then? A good game of attrition where once it went to extra time Costa Rica had to sit back and defend due to being a man down and hold on for penalties, while Greece tried to use their man advantage to score a winner, knowing that the extra man counted for nothing if it went to penalties. Not super exciting, but I thought it was an intriguing match from the second hand on.

Really disappointed for Mexico. Was really wanting someone to just punch Robben in the face afterwards.

• Like 2

Robben apologizes for diving

"I must apologise," he told NOS.

"The one (at the end) was a penalty, but the other one was a dive in the first half. I shouldn't be doing that."

On Moreno, who went off injured after tangling with Robben at the end of the first half, he added: "He hit me on my shin and must then (go) off himself with an injury.

"Then I get hit again if that is not a penalty, I do not know."

About an hour or two after game time.

Dude's a natural heel. :)

There is a real possibility of a CONCACAF Semi-Final if CRC can pull off the upset against the Dutch, and the US can find a way to sneak past a very good Belgium team and probably Messi in the Quarterfinal game.

Yeah, I know we're all like, jazzed that we made it out of a group that a lot of people thought we weren't making it out of..

But we ain't getting past Argentina, since I got a sneaking suspicion that they were coasting through groups to save themselves for the Knockouts.

Argentina other than Messi haven't gotten out of first gear yet, but compared to the disaster under Maradona's management they are 100 times better defensively. And you have to think that either Di Maria or Aguero have to score at some point. If they get going, that's one scary team.

Guest Edwin

Argentina other than Messi haven't gotten out of first gear yet, but compared to the disaster under Maradona's management they are 100 times better defensively. And you have to think that either Di Maria or Aguero have to score at some point. If they get going, that's one scary team.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

The French should be up by at least 2 goals by now.

Guest Edwin
Not that this really matters, but the Univision commentators were arguing during half of the first half of what has been the best goal so far in the WC and their top 3 picks (rightfully) are Van Persie's diving header against the Spaniards, Chaill's volley against the Dutch and James first goal against Uruguay.

They gave RvP's goal the nudge as the best one so far.

Yeah. I would be tickled if we can make it to the quarterfinals since we seem to play poorly in the first knockout round more times than not. I have very low expectations we will make it further than that; however, a rematch of last year's Gold Cup final to determine who plays for the World Cup would be FANTASTIC. 

Guest Edwin

Depending on how the groups are drawn of course. If they ever faced each other in the Euro Cup, I'd favor the Germans or the Dutch over the French specially if they played against either team like they've played against Nigeria.

Boateng and Hoewedes are going to be Germany's undoing. Just awful. Wouldn't it make more sense to switch the two at least? Boateng has played a bunch of full back and Hoewedes has no idea what he's doing at fullback. 

Boateng and Hoewedes are going to be Germany's undoing. Just awful. Wouldn't it make more sense to switch the two at least? Boateng has played a bunch of full back and Hoewedes has no idea what he's doing at fullback.

Sub Khedira for Mertesacker, moved Howedes to CB, have Boateng and Lahm as full backs, and Khedira ahead of the back four.