DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

I've only ever seen 1 or 2 eps of Maison, I always meant to give it a shot but back when it was on my mind it wasn't easily available. 

Re Takahashi's other projects, I think her lesser known titles are the best after UY. Rumic World & Rumic Theatre were really great. Mermaid's Flesh I haven't watched but need to. 

Inu Yasha I gave up on before the 1st season was even finished. Another case of being way too annoyed by the characters. 

I'm intrigued to give Kyokai no Rinne a shot now that it's finally gotten an anime adaption. 

Man, Fairy Tail *had* me this week.  

I've been digging the hell out of this arc so far.

I just shrugged and tossed this at the 13 year old (And the wife for what it counts; the fact that at least a few of you were into it helped me decide). He's 22 episodes in after maybe three days. I needed something because he was going back to find the Robotech DVDs and I wanted him to see something he hadn't seen before but that I didn't have time to watch with him.

Part of me is regretting I didn't toss Saint Seiya at him instead.

Sword Art Online is both a good anime, and GROSSLY overrated by some of its diehards.  It's also really inconsistant from arc to arc.

AoT I can get not liking, you have to really be into that kind of stuff and be OK with the violence to stick around.

Gundam finally showed up on Crunchyroll so I'll be giving that a shot, although I hear its 08th MS Team with younger kids, so that'll be all kinds of fun.  Might need to find me another light hearted show for a pick-me-up post Gundam episode viewing, since I can't use Fairy Tail right now, since its all dark and shit this arc.

3 episodes deep and Iron Blooded Orphans is already shaping up to be one the bleaker entries in ht Gundam franchise. I hope my gut is wrong about Orga...

James

Its one of the darker entries we've had in awhile, but bleak feels just a pinch strong. What is you suspect of Orga?

Gundam finally showed up on Crunchyroll so I'll be giving that a shot, although I hear its 08th MS Team with younger kids, so that'll be all kinds of fun.  Might need to find me another light hearted show for a pick-me-up post Gundam episode viewing, since I can't use Fairy Tail right now, since its all dark and shit this arc.

There are some similarities in concepts, but I wouldn't say its much like 08th MS Team.

MS 08th wishes it was as bleak as Iron Blooded Orphans. MS 08th also had a some very likable protagonists whereas this show... they're all kind of dicks

James

I don't really find much of them to be dicks yet.

Hell, the one likable character they just killed!

James

You see I wouldn't have called him particularly likable or not a dick. He just wasn't as bad as the other soldiers attacking them. I sort of love how he died as it had a cut the bs feel.

Orga gives the vibe of being a master manipulator. I get the feeling that by the end of it, he and Mikazuki are not going ot be seeing eye to eye.

James

Ah, I got that feeling as well just from the premise and previews. The show has sort of pushed that down a bit these first episodes. I'm hoping it keeps that up as it would actually be nice for the obvious to not happen there with his character.

AoT I can get not liking, you have to really be into that kind of stuff and be OK with the violence to stick around.

The manga honestly turns into absolute trash later on outside of Levi being a badass.

Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie gets a limited theater release in the US next month!  I've already preordered my ticket for the showing at my local theater on November 10.

Just in time for my birthday!

I liked GitS: ARISE but didn't love it like I loved GitS:SAC. The in depth storytelling of SAC is just some of the best TV I've ever watched

James

This.  I have the entire SAC run on DVD and it is great.

Finally watched this week's IBO episode.  I wouldn't say that they're dicks either.  They're just not your typical Gundam crew.

My one concern, though, is that for being the main protagonist, they really haven't focused too much on Mikazuki.  It's almost like they're going the route of what was planned for GSD by focusing on other characters early on before putting all the spotlight on the main character.  I just hope Mikazuki doesn't wind up like pre-Banpresto rewrite Shinn.

I can see that though unlike Heero, Mizazuki isn't really showing a strong will or interest in anything. Its interesting too as its not like he has no opinions or thoughts of his own. He just doesn't seem particularly motivated outside of following Orga's orders.

I'm getting more of a "less psychotic and murderous" Heero vibe from Mikazuki than a Shinn, but it might just be the whole child solider thing.

Oh, no, I wasn't comparing Mikazuki's personality to Shinn's.  I was more referring that Mikazuki just seems to be 'there'; that other than being the pilot of the Gundam, he's more of a background character.  I was comparing it to the original plan of GSD (first part would be focused on Athrun and Cagalli, second part on Kira and Lacus, while the more substantial part would be focused on Shinn) before who really knows WTF happened (although these days I tend to believe the 'Cagalli rumor' story).

So after the 3rd episode of Iron Blooded Orphans (Crunchyroll is a week behind),

Fuck bleek, this show makes 08th and Evangelion look like SD Gundam.  

I'm not sure how much I'm digging Mikazuki pretty much being an automaton under Orga's control.  I mean, he offed Gjallahorn dude mid sentence without hesitation.  I'm guessing his arc is gonna be his mini-harem instilling emotion into him so he can have his own mind and convictions when the possible Orga heel turn occurs.  But it is kinda odd that they have Kudelia and Arta fawning all over someone who's pretty much a robot.