DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

CROWDS was good, my only gripe was putting the name "Gatchaman" on it. It was like they took 2 other Tatsunoko shows that were unrelated and mushed them into one show

James

Well first episode of Dragon Ball SUPER is out...the first few episodes are going to be set-up obviously. Nothing major happens but  damn is it good to hear Masako Nozawa as Son Goku. Not crazy about the theme song but you can't win them all. I did like how they recapped the last episode of the Buu fight and even used the BGM from DBZ for it. I am very much looking forward to watching more.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching the first episode of Aquarion Logos and I thought it was good.  The MC seems to be a lot better than Amada was.  Hopefully it's a good thing that the series supposedly won't be connected at all to the first two.

Also, Gatchaman CROWDS Insight has been really fun to watch so far.

The surprise hit of the season, though?  IMO, Sore ga Seiyuu.

Which season of Jojo?

Or did you decide to watch the OVAs fro mthe 90s? :)

James

First season. I know Stardust is the one that made the series an iconic manga, but I kind of love the idea of a Victorian melodrama going full Shonen Jump fighter even if they did squeeze that story into 8 episodes. I'd kind of like to see the OVAs, but not badly enough to actually hunt them down.

I thought Dragonball Super was supposed to be simulcast on Funimation's site.  Its not there.

EDIT: Also, I can't help but notice that the first two episodes are Battle of the Gods.

Yeah, thought I had saw that Funi was gonna run it, but nope. I did manage find subs though, so its fine, although since I saw that the first two arcs are just extended versions of Battle of the Gods and Revival of F, no hurry to keep up yet.

I'm pretty new to anime, outside of Dragonball Z and some of the bigger movies like Akira and Ninja Scroll, but am almost done with Assassination Classroom and loving it. My gf and I just got a trial of Funimation and we have Hulu+ so I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions of shows to watch next. I am probably rewatching Dragonball and DBZ.

Depends on what you're into.  If you're into Dragonball, then Fairy Tail would be a good one, although you're playing catchup.  After that, it depends on what you're into, Fantasy, Mech, sci-fi, dystopian, Stuck in a VR MMO...  

Or, we could just start dropping our recommends list in general and you can see what you like.

Sadly, my go-to recs (Macross) are no longer on those services.

Is there a particular genre you're after, or an age you don't want to go past (my recs tend to be very 70s and 80s centric)

Depends on what you're into.  If you're into Dragonball, then Fairy Tail would be a good one, although you're playing catchup.  After that, it depends on what you're into, Fantasy, Mech, sci-fi, dystopian, Stuck in a VR MMO...  

Or, we could just start dropping our recommends list in general and you can see what you like.

I don't have a particular genre or age preference. Most likely I'd be more into something action-oriented. It may help to list the shows I've watched and enjoyed: Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Neon Genesis, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Sailor Moon and just now Assassination Classroom. It'd be cool if you just dropped your lists and I can check things out.

From what I saw on the two services, I would recommend:

Fairy Tail

Cowboy Beebop

Log Horizon

Soul Eater

Akame ga Kill

Attack on Titan

Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's (sub, stay the hell away from the dub)

Fate/stay night

Bubblegum Crisis 2040

That's top of my head.  There's stuff that's on my "to watch" list that I haven't gotten to yet that could make it.

If only Hulu had our one only King of Braves available, I know what I'd recommend that but alas.

I say use Hulu to watch Galaxy Express 999, Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Hokuto No Ken and Cowboy Bebop...

But that's just me, I'm a sucker for older stuff.

Is Hayate The Combat Butler on there? If so watch that since it is straight up fun

James

Some action/mecha stuff on Hulu that I'd recommend:

Kiddy Grade

Full Metal Panic

Aquarion

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann

Bubblegum Crisis 2032

Gaiking: LOD

Durarara

ROD The TV

Star Driver

Rinne no Lagrange

Psycho-Pass

Girls und Panzer

AKB0048 (I think I'm still the only person on here to watch this, though :) )

Martian Successor Nadesico

Majestic Prince

Rahxephon

Kill la Kill

WAIT!  Since when did Hulu have all 64 episodes of God Mars???

Finally delving back into the world of Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Gone through the 3 movies in the past few days, Golden Wings, My Conquest is the Sea of Stars & Overture to a New War. All of them do a good job of matching the quality of the main series and reminding me why it's in my top 5 or so list of anime.

Now to move on to the 52 ep side stories oavs.