DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

On 10/7/2023 at 8:48 PM, J.H. said:

I'd rather we get some news on the Sunrise Akira projrct, or is that officially dead?

James

I was there live when Otomo announced the project, so I'm curious as well. We got the announcement in 2019 and then pretty much nothing after that. 

Sometimes project like this move at a glacial pace. Otomo probably has to finish Orbital Era first. Plus the whole pandemic probably delayed things. 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 6:23 PM, J.H. said:

And it's not like Sunrise doesn't have a reputation for announcing things before they've done an ounce of work on it

James

For another example, Hideaki Anno literally took nine years to finish Evangelion Rebuild 4 after Rebuild 3 was released. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, Retro Crush.  I have watched the entire run of Martian Successor Nadesico thanks to your on demand queue.

Only took me thirty years.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot believe that I have never heard of Harukana Receive.

It is about girls that are competing in a beach volleyball tournament.

It will test the upper limits of your fanservice tolerance.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have gotten past the whole weird looking dude with a snub-nosed revolver for a head thing, I am starting to enjoy No Guns Life.  There is a kick-ass cyberpunk story going on there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y0wmKezZ_w&ab_channel=MarvelousVideos

Gonna leave this here because technically it is about anime. It's a rundown about the notorious '80s cartoon and toy series Inhumanoids. Kinda long but the British-inflected German dude's accent is strangely compelling and the details about the series are REALLY strangely compelling. I was like 6 years old when this series came out, and it is no wonder that five or so years later I would end up having my parents buy me Akira for Xmas and take off running from there. 

You can find all of the Inhumanoids episodes right there on Youtube too if you're interested.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So Elfen Lied is really good, right? A friend of mine posted a five minute clip on FB and it was definitely up my alley. You know why. So, check it out, yay or nay? 

It is good and disturbing as hell.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Zom 100 Bucket List of the Dead last night.

GREAT show. The main character is a genuinely great hero, who defeats antagonists with empathy and understanding. Some great comedy, art, and wacky ideas. Highly recommend.

Also a few episodes away from finishing the first season of Jujutsu Kaisen. It's a mixed bag. Some days I'm really into it and others I'm a little indifferent. That may be more me being busy while watching some of the episodes.

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They subtitled it now! Boooooo. 

There being a small old man with a beard and glasses showing up as a sensei type immediately cracked me up, of course. 

Adult Swim is AFAIK showing the dub version at midnight and the sub version at 3 AM (or at least that's what my DVR guide said)

• Like 1

Crap. I'm gonna have to change my recording manually I guess. 

EDIT: Ah, nice. They let me pick between the two versions; I thought my series timer would only record whatever was first at bat. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

• 3 weeks later...