DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

If anyone hasn't watched it yet, Oshi no Ko is damn good. That premiere episode was insane. To start off a show with a feature-length premiere episode right off the bat was impressive. Props to those animators and studio Doga Kobo. 

When you are doing a manga or novel adaptation as an anime series, nailing those early chapters is important, and they clearly took a lot of care to do that in Oshi no Ko.

17 hours ago, dogwelder said:

The Calibarn seems to be too derivative...the red highlights a la Unicorn in NT-D mode, the Crossbone-like thrusters, the large slender beam cannon like the Dendrobium...

It was neat to confirm that Suletta's skill wasn't 100% just because she's driving a sentient mobile suit.  She was wrecking Gundbits like no one else in the show's been able to.  It does look like they're wrapping up in the next few episodes though, which would make this the shortest "Full Series" in the franchise.  

I'm kinda disappointed that they just hotshotted Lauda's turn like that.  He's was all cool, then one revelation by a traitor during a fight and he's full bore psycho stealing a high end suit and about to duel his brother to the death.

The death fakeouts were a little much this episode.  But looks like Calibarn is Suletta's final suit.  

And whats a Gundam without a massive superweapon set to destroy everything appearing in the last 2 episodes.

• Haha 1

That a movie or series?

Clearing the fuckups from Destiny is a low bar to hurdle.

On the other hand, Yay to a potential reprint of the MG Strike Freedom that's not the $165 EX version!

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

That a movie or series?

Movie

Clearing the fuckups from Destiny is a low bar to hurdle.

Like I've said in the past, the SRW rewrite/rehabilitation of Shinn made a lot of people appreciate SEED Destiny more.  And it took SEED Destiny out of my top 3 hated Gundam series.

On the other hand, Yay to a potential reprint of the MG Strike Freedom that's not the $165 EX version!

$165?  That's nothing.  I spent around $300 on the Metal Build Strike Freedom when it came out (and it's an absolute beaut of a figure especially with the wings spread out)

1 hour ago, dogwelder said:

Movie

Like I've said in the past, the SRW rewrite/rehabilitation of Shinn made a lot of people appreciate SEED Destiny more.  And it took SEED Destiny out of my top 3 hated Gundam series.

$165?  That's nothing.  I spent around $300 on the Metal Build Strike Freedom when it came out (and it's an absolute beaut of a figure especially with the wings spread out)

See, I actually thought Shinn needed the least rehab out of that series.  Arun, holy shit that was a total change between series.

I'm still iffy about dropping over $100 on a kit since I somehow always end up breaking something by accident, and since Mecha Parts Online shut down, it's a little rougher to get replacements (although I did get a new arm for the RG Unicorn I did when I snapped that in half, but it took 8 weeks).  

If I manage to finish this Wing Zero Ver. Ka. I'm working on without incident, I might jump up to stuff north of $100 (especially when the Witch RG/MG stuff comes out)

So now that it's done, I'll give TWfM a solid 7.5.  It was good, but not great.  Some really interesting concepts/ideas, but it seemed too rushed towards the end (maybe cut down on the school life scenes?) and the lack of mecha action at times was a bit concerning. 

I like that they tried doing The Tempest in a Giant Mecha/School type setting, but I'm not sure teh ending landed, as it all packed up too tidy.  Still, I'm good with a Gundam ending fairly positive instead of the wrenchingly sad like IBO did.

Well that Rurouni Kenshin remake is meant to be watched by someone, it j7st isn't me. The character designs don't do it for me, the bgm isn't particularly memorable and the OP/ED are mot my cup of tea. It will get a standard 4 episode commitment (by then we should have Sannosuke) but otherwise I'm not hopeful.

James

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 8:31 AM, odessasteps said:

I finally got around to watching Lupin v Cats Eye. Fine for what it is. 

cat's Eye are also coming back again in the new City Hunter movie

James

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am feeling really underwhelmed and am wary of the upcoming movie now.  They took away some of the distinguishing features between the two (no Fatum for the Justice, no more Dragoons for the Freedom) and gave both of them a boring transform to MA mode mechanism.

Meanwhile I'm more mad that they gave the fucking new Destiny model the RG right away and stuck the Freedom and Justice into the HG (even if it's a more "posable" HG)  But yeah, not thrilled with the downgraded designs.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:50 PM, J.H. said:

cat's Eye are also coming back again in the new City Hunter movie

cat's Eye is currently on heavy rotation weeknights on Retro Crush around 9PM-ish EDT.  3 episodes play in a time block along with 3 episodes of Ryoko's Case File.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

https://youtu.be/hUuDDSqmRco

The ultimate chuuni lunatic has returned. Peak anime fiction has returned. The moment Cid meets a cool vampire hunter he marks out and then starts copying all her shit. He's a fucking idiotic dork, and I love it. 

IMHO the best isekai shows are always when the protagonists have memorable or ultra-quirky personalities or they just go totally bat-shit with the isekai concept. That's why I love Eminence in Shadow.