DVDVR Message Board

Payback '14

Dolfan in NYC

Cena put Bryan over huge in his post-summerslam promo. But at the same time joked around, no sold losing the title and explained that he was injured before the match started. This pretty much sums up the enigma that is Jawn Cena.

He didn't really joke around or "no-sell" losing the title in that promo and even said that the injury wasn't an excuse.

I have no recollection of the announcers treating Bryan's win over Cena as a fluke. Not saying they didn't, but I don't recall that happening at all.

They unquestionably treated his two Mania wins as such, though.

I disagree, they treated the Mania wins as a miracle and I have no problem with that.

A guy winning two matches over three opponents who have all been huge stars, while being injured and dealing with outside interference and crooked refs...that should be treated as a miraculous feat.

To me a fluke would have been Bryan rolling Hunter up ten seconds into the match or lucking into a pin off someone else's finish in the triple threat. I don't remember the announcers portraying it as pure luck, just more an amazing feat.

• Like 1

I do remember the commentators bringing up Cena's elbow injury a lot after the fact.

I think it can rub people the wrong way that Cena treats his championship opportunities rather lightly.  On a few occasions, he's commented that he'll always get more title shots...meanwhile, other people have to jump through multiple hoops for the same opportunities.

I dont get the "wins and losses matter" part. Sure they did back when it was presented as a sport, but at this point winning, losing, "looking strong" and all that stuff seem pretty irrelevant overall.

Which many people are saying is the problem.  

Why watch any of it if what happens is irrelevant?

I think most of the problem here is that people think that Cena's run is dying down and it's time to pass the torch, when the reality is that he's still firmly entrenched as the top guy, is still the best mic guy in the company when he doesn't have to read poop jokes, and is still putting on some of the best matches on the card. And he's booked like pretty much any top guy - he gets beat up a lot by cheaters, then wins when the odds are evened out. I mean, I'm not the John Cena target audience, but I completely get it.

And it's not like he needs to be losing high profile feuds. Save those for his matches with rising faces like Bryan. And beating young guys like Bray isn't a big deal, because they have a lot of wrestling ahead of them and it's hard to imagine that their careers are at their height. Whereas HHH was burying guys at the peak of their popularity.

Was gonna hit the like button til you dropped that last line. Shame on you

I tried not to, but just couldn't resist. I blame whoever brought up the Jericho Dusty finish.

• Like 1

I dont get the "wins and losses matter" part. Sure they did back when it was presented as a sport, but at this point winning, losing, "looking strong" and all that stuff seem pretty irrelevant overall.

Which many people are saying is the problem.

Why watch any of it if what happens is irrelevant?

It isn't irrelevant though. You're watching for the matches are you not? If they're good that's a good show right?

Wade Barrett is on the way up after two years of wasting away in the midcard. Ryback spent a year crushing dudes and is wasting away in the midcard. It really seems like fans are fine with pretty much anything. The youngsters like who they like, the older fans know its fake.

Wade Barrett is on the way up after a slow build with (finally) a catchphrase that helped get him over. Sadly, it isn't enough to have a great look and be great in the ring. Barrett given mic time is always entertaining and he's finally being portrayed the way he should have been all along (a snarky heel who can kick ass). Ryback is a perfect example of correcting a worker's status and using wins/loses to make it happen. He was shoved down our throats as an unbeatable monster. Unbeatable monster is done as soon as said monster starts getting beat. That's exactly what happened with Ryback. He's perfectly fine in the mid-card for now, and so is Axel. I'd have to say that what's happened with both men indicates that wins and losses matter. Hell, you can trace the break-up of the Shield back to when Roman beat Punk and the other two didn't. Ambrose was okay with it because he's a psycho, but apparently it was eating away at Rollins all this time. See, that's not hard to follow, is it? 

So is FSW saying wins and losses don't matter in the same thread he said Goldberg was a good title contender making anyone else chuckle? Or was that a different thread.

Combing through FSW's postings on the hunt for consistency is a fool's errand.

When you look at how damaged most of the roster is now thanks to being jobbed out, wins and losses do matter.

Don't forget the seemingly never ending months of Mr. and Mrs. HHH telling everyone on the roster how worthless they are.. ON TV. Man, I can't think of a single collection of moments that hurt an entire roster more. It's one thing with the face tells everyone he is wasting his time (*cough* Punk), but for the people who are in charge on air to tell everyone watching they think their talent is shit...

When you look at how damaged most of the roster is now thanks to being jobbed out, wins and losses do matter.

Don't forget the seemingly never ending months of Mr. and Mrs. HHH telling everyone on the roster how worthless they are.. ON TV. Man, I can't think of a single collection of moments that hurt an entire roster more. It's one thing with the face tells everyone he is wasting his time (*cough* Punk), but for the people who are in charge on air to tell everyone watching they think their talent is shit...

It's still real to this guy!

And it is pretty clear now he should have beaten Punk for the title in the Cell match.

The difficulty would have been expecting The Rock to work Ryback. I mean he probably would have if asked nicely but only a sick person would really want to seen that match in practice. 

Ryback should never have been in that match, he should have beaten Cesaro for the US Title.

Wade's got his catchphrase but he's also on a winning run - his clean victories over Sheamus, Big E and RVD mean something. If wins and losses don't matter, he could be doing jobs for Curtis Axel and he's still be just as over. Noone believes that. Torito is more over for pinning 3MB a lot, he wouldn't be as over if he lost all the time would he? Lordy.