DVDVR Message Board

The Idiocy of Donald Sterling

Josh Mann

I understand why the players are playing now. They worked so hard for this all season and they can't let this guy take that away from them. 

But once their offseason starts I wouldn't be surprised if they all asked to get the fuck out of there.

Whats funny is while Sterling is a crazy old bigot, is he really the worst owner in the league?

dolan?

Senator Kohl if he still owns the Bucks?

Have you paid attention to basketball before two years ago?  The Clippers are the worst franchise in the history of the league and I really don't know who is in contention for #2.  They have lapped everyone else probably twice, and he is in the center of all of it.

Bigotry aside Sterling was the worst owner in the league until that one year the Clippers made the playoffs with Brand, Maggette, etc. He was always content with losing and making a ton of money but he apparently got a taste for winning and liked it. Sterling 15 years ago never would've bothered with Chris Paul or Doc Rivers. He went from not caring to trying to win a championship almost over night. Very weird but he's probably still the most hated. Especially now.

I meant as a person, not as an owner.

The Clippers are obviously in the realm of worst teams in any sports league.

He is also the worst person, look up all of the housing discrimination lawsuits and you will realize that he doesn't just talk about not liking minorities he actively acts on keeping them down.  The crazy thing about this story is that he didn't say anything that should have been surprising if people were paying attention.  He hates black people.  He has been federally indicted for housing discrimination and has paid two of the highest settlements in American history for said discrimination.  This story is probably the least of his racial transgressions.  I'm not even offended by what he said on the tape, it is horrible and insulting, but it is almost comical.  His real life actions for his entire life is way worse, and if the NBA never wanted to take action.  Them going hard on this just seems like spilled milk to me. 

If you think this is something new here is a quote from this story http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-sterling-racist-history-2014-4

In a 1983 incident, prospective Clippers coaching candidate Rollie Massimino says that Sterling used the N-word in an impromptu interview at LAX (via Jeff Pearlman):

“Here’s this guy, and he has this blonde bimbo with him, they have a bottle of champagne, they’re tanked. And Don looks at me and he says, ‘I wanna know why you think you can coach these n*****s.’”

I meant as a person, not as an owner.

The Clippers are obviously in the realm of worst teams in any sports league.

He's the worse person that we know of as far as owners go. As Phil Jackson once said about the Clippers bad fortune, its a bit of karma for all the bad Sterling has done. He was already known for being a horrible person and yet you still had guys sign on to the Clippers. Doc Rivers played for the team, had to have heard the slumlord stories, the Elgin Baylor and Baron Davis stories, still signed on. There are players on the team who were around when those incidents went on. They re-signed with the Clippers.

From his tweets, Simmons seems to think that Silver is going to cave Sterling metaphorical skull in, and try to void his right to own the franchise.  Sterling would probably try to take the league down with him I'd imagine, with a huge lawsuit if he tried that. It just doesn't seem realistic. Reading columns about suspension and fines, are NBA owners considered "employees?"

Assuming Sterling just gets a fine(with or without a suspension), and not the team taken away, this could get really ugly for the NBA right quick. I could see the Clippers revolting, and threatening to sit out a game or something along those lines, and if they do, doesn't Silver have to get out the hammer for them? When does this go from a PR crisis over an owner to the owners circling the wagons to crush a "class" war? 

OVER REACH by the commish, and he's gonna be smacked down for it. . .

I might be completely wrong, but although he is an evil and racist slimebag, from what I have read on the various websites, that does not appear to be illegal. . .