DVDVR Message Board

Reading Exchange 2014?

JRGoldman

So I know not every book generated equal discussion and it dragged out a little bit (in part because of the ill timed board implosion), but I had a blast doing this last year. If I remember right we started around this time, so I thought I would kick the tires and see if people would be interested in getting it fired up again. Jae, obviously you are welcome to do it, but if you have no interest in running this thing I don't mind. 

Anyone have any ideas for what we might do to improve or restructure? 

Not that I'll be taking part, but would it not be a better idea to just run a straight forward book club? That way you're guaranteed to have discussion, whereas with last year's format, it's probable that only 2 people have read the book chosen.

EDIT: Actually, I shouldn't say that I wouldn't participate in it, as it would be interesting to read something I wouldn't necessarily pick up myself. As long as it wasn't 500 page dungeons and dragons stuff.

I was actually thinking about moving forward with a real book club. The book exchange was totally fun, but I had some ideas to make sure there's actually discussion about the books we end up reading. THe problem with the book exchange was one person was in charge of reading one book, and there wasn't much incentive for people to read more than one.

My sort of plan would look like this:

Everyone who wants to participate gets thrown into a hat and I draw one randomly. THat person picks.

We read the book and I'll break it up into sections. A thread for Chapters 1-4 for example. This way we can break things up and people can discuss as the read at their own pace. Each Book would get a month or(more or less depending on the book.

Everyone who completes the book gets thrown into the new hat(except for the previous winner) and a new book is chosen. This way there's incentive to read and discuss.

What do people think of that?

I mean really there could still be a book exchange AND a Book club, but I don't think it would need to be at the same scope as the last one. Everyone could send me there books and I'd dish them out. A catch-all thread could be created to discuss.

I was actually thinking about moving forward with a real book club. The book exchange was totally fun, but I had some ideas to make sure there's actually discussion about the books we end up reading. THe problem with the book exchange was one person was in charge of reading one book, and there wasn't much incentive for people to read more than one.

Or even the one people were assigned. :)

Or even the one people were assigned. :)

Damn skippy. If Lacelle shows his mug around here again, his ass is mine. :angry:

(shuffles off, grumbling and kicking rocks)

If I had bothered to participate in the book exchange last year, I was going to make someone read Valley of the Dolls (which I have actually read and don't recall hating).  Obviously, me revealing that suggests I have something more sinister up my sleeve.

My sort of plan would look like this:

Everyone who wants to participate gets thrown into a hat and I draw one randomly. THat person picks.

We read the book and I'll break it up into sections. A thread for Chapters 1-4 for example. This way we can break things up and people can discuss as the read at their own pace. Each Book would get a month or(more or less depending on the book.

Everyone who completes the book gets thrown into the new hat(except for the previous winner) and a new book is chosen. This way there's incentive to read and discuss.

What do people think of that?

I mean really there could still be a book exchange AND a Book club, but I don't think it would need to be at the same scope as the last one. Everyone could send me there books and I'd dish them out. A catch-all thread could be created to discuss.

I think that's a good idea. It also allows someone to drop out at the end of the month if they don't feel they'll be able to make the time commitment for the upcoming month(s).

In retrospect, I shouldn't have said anything when I first got assigned a book I'd already read, because it would have actually guaranteed I finished the book I was given.  Whoops.

My only concern about breaking the book into chapters is that we are going to run into issues similar to what is going on with the Game of Thrones threads

And I would rather not have to ban the lot of you.

My only concern about breaking the book into chapters is that we are going to run into issues similar to what is going on with the Game of Thrones threads

And I would rather not have to ban the lot of you.

Couldn't whomever runs this just start all the chapter threads at the same time, so that people who read ahead can just move on to the next level? Perhaps I'm being a tad naive, but I feel like this would work. 

• Like 1

That makes sense to me. At least we can try it with the first book and if it sucks the ass we can just go into one thread per book territory.

Let's do it.

Everyone who wants in say so and I'll put your name in the hopper and we'll see if we can get this off the ground.

I'll give signups until Tuesday(because weekend is slow on the board and Monday might be a crazy day for me.) In the mean while everyone get an idea of what book in case you're chosen. I'd avoid super-long books(I think we want to keep this relatively light), and anything left/right wing political. Take a look at the stuff that was chosen for the book exchange as a measuring stick.

In the hopper as of now:

Liam

rippa

beast

matt D

Shane

Briscoe

Jae

JRGoldman