DVDVR Message Board

Reading Exchange 2014?

JRGoldman

Wait. We're doing the club, right? So I wouldn't need a pick unless you got picked. 

Like I said, we can do the exchange instead if we'd rather do that. I just figured the club would be better for message board discussion purposes. 

Wait. We're doing the club, right? So I wouldn't need a pick unless you got picked. 

Like I said, we can do the exchange instead if we'd rather do that. I just figured the club would be better for message board discussion purposes.

No No - you are fine.

That was me misunderstanding.

I thought you wanted picks from everyone before you picked a person so that way it would be all oh "Rippa got picked and his book is Cat in the Hat"

My name is listed on the sign up but I never officially posted in like Jae asked, so to avoid confusion I'm just gonna go ahead and post "I'm in" anyway.

I feel like I just took over your thread, and I'm sorry about that.

Would it be cool if I participated in the discussions but didn't have a book suggestion? All I've read for the last few years is philosophy and things shaped like political manifestos, so I don't have any good recommendations otherwise and I don't want to force anyone to deal with that stuff.

Of course. These sign-ups are really only for people who want their name in the hat. After this only people who participate get put in the hat. So if 3 of us actually read whatever book is chosen...only 3 of us are eligible to choose the next book. But everyone can get involved with no obligation to chose a book. 

My name is listed on the sign up but I never officially posted in like Jae asked, so to avoid confusion I'm just gonna go ahead and post "I'm in" anyway.

I feel like I just took over your thread, and I'm sorry about that.

I didn't think anything of it. You have experience wrangling us for stuff like this and I do not, so I'm sure it will work out much better this way.

Deadline to get your name in the hopper is tomorrow at 3pm Chi-city time. After 3 I'll PM the Chosen One and then hopefully I'll announce the book that evening. Getting kind of excited.

I'm really excited for this to start. While trying to think about a book, should I eliminate any of my choices for a reason other than length? Are we trying to keep nominations fiction only? I know when we did the exchange some people seemed hesitant about sci-fi/fantasy stuff. Can we all agree not to make anyone read anything wrestling related, or at least not Masked Man's book?

I would just more say - check on availability before selecting (similar to the movie club)

ie: an out of print book might be tougher for folks to read if it wasn't big enough to make libraries, e-copy, etc..

I know there was one book chosen in the summer reading exchange that was only available in like e-book form and only available in like one format so jae had a tough time pairing that book up with someone who was able to actually access it

And as far as sci-fi/fantasy goes I think it just depends on what you're talking about. Book 1 of 20 in the Black Tides of Alborium Cycle is probably not everyone's cup of tea. Phillip K. Dick or a novelization of Back to the Future Part 3 would probably go over better.

And as far as sci-fi/fantasy goes I think it just depends on what you're talking about. Book 1 of 20 in the Black Tides of Alborium Cycle is probably not everyone's cup of tea. Phillip K. Dick or a novelization of Back to the Future Part 3 would probably go over better.

il_340x270.585578827_coht.jpg

That thing looks like the best Choose Your Own Adventure ever.

• Like 1