DVDVR Message Board

WOTD - DEAN CELEBRATION WEEK: DICK MURDOCH

RIPPA

One of the most iconic stories on the board is Dean talking about his earliest wrestling memories being of Dick Murdoch. Of course - I am so fucking old now the details have blurred together for me so...

WHEN I WAS 12 I SAW DICK MURDOCH WRESTLE IN A (insert venue here) VS. (insert old wrestler who liked to bleed and get punched in the face here)

http://youtu.be/SuJQHBiO_P8

Oh and this happened...

Love ya Dean

• Like 3

Here's what I wrote about Murdoch vs O'Connor:

"This is a very cool, very frustrating match. Here's the quick breakdown. Ten minutes of Murdoch putting on headscissors, O'Connor getting out, going for a headlock, getting put back in. Most of the work here is by O'Connor trying to get out and each time he makes it, there's an escalation of energy in him trying to get on top and Murdoch putting him back down. He finally takes over with a cheap knee to the face. This leads to some amazing looking arm stuff by O'Connor and then some back and forth legwork. THIS ends with a limping Murdoch being unable to hold onto the headscissors for long and punching O'Connor in the face. 

Up until this point it's a really fun match. I might doubt the logic of O'Connor going back to the headock again and again but I can see it as old man's pride. 

The problem is that the FACE PUNCHING leads into 6 or 7 minutes of comedy. And it's good comedy, first with Murdoch complaining about O'Connor's fists, sneaking his own, and then getting wildly out punched, and then with O'Connor escaping holds quickly as the crowd laughs and Murodch lumbering at him (including a great spot where he goes through the ropes). It's entertaining, but a minute or two before they were starting to punch each other in the face, while limping, after 20 minutes of holds. It's jarring and really, annoying. I like comedy a lot at the beginning of a match or throughout a match, but i don't think it belonged in the tail end of THIS match, even if it was all well done. 

Then the time-limit is coming so they go into a pretty compelling series of pinfall attempts until the bell rings.

Well worth watching but highly frustrating."

I guess the Ted DiBiase vs. Ric Flair Mid-South angle isn't available on Youtube anymore for free due to WWE, so somebody try and look it up on Dailymotion if they have the time (which I don't). The smack when Dickie punches Ted is fucking ridiculous. 

Oh god I just found this. No idea who is hanging above the ring in the Dodgers jersey. That guy dropping down a tiny blackboard for instructions and Dick doing something like a quadruple-take trying to see where the wire is behind him is absolutely hilarious. As are the basketball nets hanging in the background.