DVDVR Message Board

Rumor: Ron Francis crushed to find out that the Canes aren't one of SabreMike's top 29 NHL teams.

I'm crushed that I have to hope my childhood hero fails miserably. Truth is that if the slimebag who moved them sells the team I wouldn't hate them any more. Better yet, if Karmanos were to hire Troy Smith (friend from the Trasher days who played junior for Plymouth) as the next coach I'd entertain forgiving him.

I guess I can mention it here since everyone from the NHL involved is on teams that didn't make the cut, but remember when I said that thing about how I can't take the World Championships seriously because they take place during the playoffs?

Add "the IIHF referees make FIFA's look like saints" to that.  Just a deplorable final.

What did Jake Virtanen do to Craig Button? On Button's revised list released today, he has Virtanen at #43. Nick Ritchie is at 16, too. Huh.

My guess is that, being that Button lives in Calgary, he's talked to some people who have coached/played with/decided that Virtanen is a bad guy/cocky/has bad hockey sense.  It's really the only thing that makes sense.

Man, I love Button's nonsensical list.  For instance, Reid Duke, played on one of the worst teams in the WHL, hasn't played since March when his team's season ended, somehow these last 2-3 months of inactivity warranted him moving up 7 spots.  Dominik Masin, been nowhere near the list all season, has a good Under-18s and suddenly he's the 31st best player for the draft. Brendan Lemieux, teams goes out in the second round, not on the Canada U18 team so he's been out of action since early April, moves up 18 spots.  Josh Ho-Sang, played slightly less hockey than Lemieux, so he's been out of action since very early April, drops 19 spots.  So bizarre.

• Like 1

So this happened this morning:
17d78840-759a-43c4-b21e-0c3e230ec0d1_zps

He was a super nice guy. Very soft spoken, but really kind.

I also listened in on one side of a phone conversation that Assistant General Manager/Director of Hockey Operations (I had to figure out who he was when I got back to my office) Mike Vellucci was having in the hallway. I heard him talking about different coaches, nobody by name except for (I think) Adam Oates. Well, it was someone named Adam at least. He said "he should be fuckin' humble after what happened there".

I felt weird eavesdropping, so I stopped. But it was still super cool meeting Ron Francis.

• Like 5

So, just perusing some mock drafts and the thought hit me, if Detroit keeps their pick at #15, it will be their highest draft pick since taking Martin Lapointe 10th overall in 1991.  Their highest pick in 23 years!  That's pretty crazy.

• Like 1

Watch them trade down, Patriots style, and get an extra second rounder.

Well, they would have picked 18th last year (Which also would have qualified, as their other highest pick is Jakub Kindl at 19 in 2005) but traded down two spots to #20 where they took Anthony Mantha (the same Anthony Mantha who scored 81 goals in 81 games between the QMJHL regular season/playoffs) and got a second round pick which they used to pick Todd Bertuzzi's newphew Tyler (Who had something of a breakout season himself).

In other words, the Detroit Red Wings still run the draft better than anyone else in the league.

This is more of that nonsense where we're supposed to pretend Datsyuk isn't one of the 10 most overrated players of all time right?

I mean he's 35 now and hasn't scored 20 goals in a season in the last four years. (One of them lockout shortened.) He's the absolute hockey equivalent of those dudes in soccer with more fancy Youtube highlights than goals.

This is more of that nonsense where we're supposed to pretend Datsyuk isn't one of the 10 most overrated players of all time right?

I mean he's 35 now and hasn't scored 20 goals in a season in the last four years. (One of them lockout shortened.) He's the absolute hockey equivalent of those dudes in soccer with more fancy Youtube highlights than goals.

But, sticklifts, bro!

Edit: I know there's a hockey game going on right now... but, is Pavel Datsyuk even better than Marian Hossa? Hossa played more games, was better at an earlier age, is a freak of nature in terms of balance and speed for a man of his size, point totals are about the same. I think overall, he's had a better career whereas Datsyuk had a four year stretch after the '04 lockout where he was dominant.