DVDVR Message Board

Brian Burke basically demanded a new arena today on no logic other than "because Edmonton got one", which given the difference in age between Rexall and the Saddledome may be the single most Calgary sports thing in the history of Calgary sports.

• Like 2

Nick Kypreos said Pittsburgh wanted to hire Pierre Maguire, but Maguire wanted a 5 year deal and Pittsburgh didn't want to go above 3.

Calgary unveils their Assistant GMs as Brad Pascall and Craig Conroy.  Pascall, in case you were wondering, was a member of Hockey Canada and is the 'Pascall' in Cassie Campbell-Pascall.

Bylsma's only chance was if the Pens promoted that in-house guy who was supposedly a finalist. So not that unexpected.

I'm not overly enthused by Rutherford but he saved us from being the Detroit Lions of hockey by hiring an inept broadcaster as GM so thats already one plus. Now if he brings in Laviollete, I'll be ecstatic. If he hires Barry Trotz, the warning lights will be flashing.

Bylsma's only chance was if the Pens promoted that in-house guy who was supposedly a finalist. So not that unexpected.

I'm not overly enthused by Rutherford but he saved us from being the Detroit Lions of hockey by hiring an inept broadcaster as GM so thats already one plus. Now if he brings in Laviollete, I'll be ecstatic. If he hires Barry Trotz, the warning lights will be flashing.

Laviolette was hired by Nashville last month.

Bylsma's firing was fairly obvious.

Florida is going to interview Willie Dersjardins after the Calder Cup finals. 

They were playing Lee Stempniak on Crosby's right wing, they're a franchise that already loves treating third liners like first liners.

Kunitz did fuck all for Pittsburgh when it mattered too, though he's pretty solidly established as a top two line guy at least.

Laviolette was hired by Nashville last month.

Bylsma's firing was fairly obvious.

Florida is going to interview Willie Dersjardins after the Calder Cup finals. 

Trotz got a job 2 weeks ago in Washington as well

Brian Burke basically demanded a new arena today on no logic other than "because Edmonton got one", which given the difference in age between Rexall and the Saddledome may be the single most Calgary sports thing in the history of Calgary sports.

I don't know if that's entirely fair. Only 4 NHL teams have an arena older than the Saddledome, and as someone who's been to the Saddledome fairly frequently for both hockey and concerts, I would say that Calgary could definitely use an upgrade.

I look forward to Rutherford completely blowing every draft for Pittsburgh and paying third liners like they are first liners. 

But then again, Pittsburgh has money and scouting so he'll probably look like a god damned genius.

I remember when he signed Glen Wesley and he outright said he didn't think giving up 4 first rounders was a high price because he didn't believe the draft was important.

To be fair, the Bruins picked Kyle McLaren, Jonathan Aitken, and Sergei Samsonov with the three picks. Samsonov had a few good years but he wasn't that far off in the '90s. There were some awful fucking draft classes in the '90s through to the mid-noughties.

• Like 1

Philly re-signed Kimmo Timonen today with a nice friendly $2 million cap hit.

Also, some Boston guy reported the Bruins were going to deal Brad Marchand for Patrick Marleau.  Pete Chiarelli actually commented on that one saying there were no discussions to that effect and that he's not trading Brad Marchand which was a pretty good shoot-down.

I wouldn't do it if I'm Doug Wilson. I wonder if he trades Marleau then Joe is next or if it's a one or the other scenario.

Does New York buyout Richards or Nash? At least Richards has kind of settled into the mediocre role of a lesser 2C on a stupid contract, whereas I don't think Rick Nash offers much of any value. Maybe some team would give up an asset for him, I don't know. Holy fuck that guy is the worst though. 10 points in 25 fucking games! Tied for 9th on the team with Benoit Pouliot! $7.8 million for another four years!

Does any site have shot charts?  I want to see a Rick Nash playoff shot chart to see exactly how he got all these shots that I don't remember him getting.

Good question and found a snazzy website here. Average shooting distance was 30 feet, farther out than most forwards. POWER FURWART! lol, compare his shot chart to Brassard's, who is considered soft. 30 ft vs 26 ft. 3.6 S% vs. 13%. Rick Trash!