DVDVR Message Board

Lots of rumors out there that Pittsburgh wants Mike Babcock as their coach which means one of two things: Babcock asks out of the last year of his deal with Detroit and signs with Pittsburgh soon, or Pittsburgh lets Dan Byslma coach one last year as a lame duck, then take a run at Babcock when his deal runs out next year.  There was lots of talk at the end of the season that Toronto also was looking at Babcock and that was partly why they didn't fire Carlyle, so they could take a run at Babcock next year.

"Let's not fire our coach now because Babcock MIGHT be available in a year and he MIGHT want to join our team".

If this is actually true, sweeping every single person out of a decision making role with those franchises is the absolute least that needs to happen as a starting point to rehabilitation.

Which isn't even to say there isn't something to the idea Babcock will be leaving Detroit, but to base the future of your franchise around a hypothetical coaching hire is beyond insanity. Nick Kypreos has been championing the idea that Babcock won't be around forever in Detroit pretty loudly.

James Mirtle just suggested that he's heard that the reason Pittsburgh decided not to fire both Shero and Byslma this morning is to try to keep them from going to the same team.

One only a few hours south

So yeah... apparently Ovie blew out his knee today

He is apparently walking without crutches, so perhaps not as bas as initially feared.

FWIW, one can walk without crutches with a fully torn ACL.  And it doesn't necessarily even hurt.  I did it for 14 months and the only time it hurt was when I would step on something that would create sideways pressure on the knee.  Then the knee would basically give out and I'd be in excruciating pain for 15 or 20 minutes.

Not saying that's what he's got or anything like that but "no crutches" <> "not bad"

The shit Trevor Linden has been spewing lately is terrifying. Apparently the Canucks ARE good enough to be a playoff team. Could have fooled me. Robert, you're going to have to tell me what I'm in store for 'cause this sure sounds like the post-lockout Leafs or Flames.

A franchise in denial is a terrible thing. I wouldn't be real worried until they make their first move & if it's throwing money at a high priced older UFA, then you're in trouble. I'm actually tempted to place a bet they sign Shawn Thornton.

The shit Trevor Linden has been spewing lately is terrifying. Apparently the Canucks ARE good enough to be a playoff team. Could have fooled me. Robert, you're going to have to tell me what I'm in store for 'cause this sure sounds like the post-lockout Leafs or Flames.

If you're a believer in fancy stats, they are a playoff team.

The Canucks had a -25 goal differential, man. That ain't no playoff team. Our top scorer had 50 flippin' points! We were the worst team in the league in the second half of the season and rode an unsustainable (we're not Anaheim) PDO the first half. What team with a core made up of guys north of 30 has ever turned it around like the Canucks would need to? If Tortorella said one wise thing in his tenure here, it's that the core is heck of stale. Barry Trotz's revolutionary tactics will be the thing that rights the ship, though, amiright?

With the best draft since 2003 (better, perhaps?) a year away, now would be the perfect time to start selling all valuable assets over the age of 25 not named Sedin. The mandate from our owner, however, is playoffs. So, we'll sign Ryan Miller, lose Markström to waivers, and sign Mike Cammalleri to a 6-year, $65 million contract. Ryan Kesler, you spent the Olympics more focused on letting people know you want out than actually playing? We'll placate you, guy! Nothing's wrong here!

headInSand_southPark.jpg

While I'm ranting, mother fucking Bo Horvat (who could be a good 3C) for Schneider. Nichushkin could be the next Anze Kopitar dummy draft pick miss for the team.

I think my biggest issue with Corsi at this point is calling it Advanced. Shit is grade 7 math.

It's just a new stat. Which is fine.

I was shocked by how much CBC has referred to it. It's a thing now, I suppose. That's cool. Just come up with a better name for it. Shots directed works, doesn't it? They were just using it for single games in the playoffs, which goes against the entire point, but hopefully they start to actually talk about why it's meaningful, perhaps even talk about individual player's stats (I think they did this for Crosby, but again, playoffs). Baby steps and all.

We'll see but it meshes with the meddlesome owner narrative. I think with the dearth of centres in free agency teams like anaheim and pittsburgh could pay a premium. And I know it won't be easy but moving up to first would be ideal. Tanev or Kassian plus 6th. We need a Hank replacement badly.

Jaro Halak with a 4 year $18 million contract for the New York Islanders.

Either he will be great and I'll end up with free playoff tickets or he'll be a dud and the Sabres end up with another lottery pick in the deepest draft in memory. I really can't lose.

I do think this was the first sane thing Garth Snow has done in years.

Word is Barry Trotz has called the other teams and said he is off the market, very close to being Washington's coach.  So defensive-minded coach vs. Alex Ovechkin should be fascinating drama.  I'd include Mike Green but I'm not convinced he will be there by the end of summer.

Also it's silly season for rumors.

My faves

-Nail Yakupov+ for Florida's first overall pick.  WHY IT MAKES SENSE: Oilers and Yak might be on the outs, Oilers get the defenceman they wanted, then keep their pick and get the center, too.  Florida gets a more dynamic scorer than whoever they could take at the top of this year's draft.  WHY IT MAKES NO SENSE: Is Yakupov any better than Reinhart/Bennett?  What's the +?  Yakupov + Gagner, maybe.

-Dion Phaneuf or Jake Gardiner and Toronto's 1st for Florida's first overall pick.  WHY IT MAKES SENSE: Florida gets a more-established defenceman and doesn't move down that far.  Toronto gets a good young defenceman they can build around, Carlyle doesn't care for Gardiner, the whole team doesn't care for Phaneuf.  WHY IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE: Is Florida THAT desperate for d-men?  Is the best place to nurture a potential franchise d-man in the harshest media market in the NHL?

-Philadephia and NY Islanders are interested in Grant Clitsome.  WHY IT MAKES SENSE: Josh Morrissey has had a great playoffs for the Jets AHL team and will likely play in the NHL next year.  Philly just lost defenceman Erik Gustafsson to the KHL, Isles are always looking for more NHL-level talent.  WHY IT MAKES NO SENSE:  It's Grant Clitsome.  Are there not bigger/better fish in the sea?