DVDVR Message Board

So, far the non-playoff count is

ARI: Presumably will not be firing either coach or GM, since re-signing both last summer.

BUF: Just hired their GM in January, just re-signed the coach.

CGY: Doesn't have a GM, presumably keeping their coach.

CAR: GM Jim Rutherford is reportedly stepping aside to let Ron Francis take over as GM, rumored to be firing Kirk Muller.  Nothing yet.

EDM: Probably doing nothing, Eakins has only been there one year, MacTavish just over 1 year.

FLA: GM Dale Tallon was just appointed more powers, no word on whether or not Peter Horachek is coming back.

NAS: Barry Trotz fired, GM David Poile staying on.  Peter Laviolette and Phil Housley both strongly rumored to be taking over for Trotz.

NJD: GM is GM-for-life and coach Pete DeBoer is under contract for next season.

NYI: Just announced that coach Jack Capuano is coming back next year, announcement made by Garth Snow, so I'd assume he's coming back, too.

OTT: No announcements here.

TOR: New President Brendan Shanahan gave Dave Nonis a vote of confidence, Nonis said Carlyle would be evaluated but that he was a "good coach"

VAN: Fired their GM last week, no word on Torts but he meets with Linden later today.

WAS: Everything very quiet.  GM George McPhee has met with ownership, is meeting with them again later, won't comment.  Word is Caps are cleaning house, Barry Trotz could be new head coach.

WPG: Maurice said he'd like to come back, no official word yet.

Here's my fear:

Francis fires Muller because there is a good coach out on the market (Trotz)

Trotz, being from the Winnipeg area, gets the coaching job with the Jets.

Maurice gets turfed out because a much better coach is free.

Paul Maurice, your three time Carolina Hurricanes head coach, is introduced in Raleigh.

• Like 1

I think Maurice is to Rutherford what Billy Martin is to the Yankees. I hope that Francis will go in another direction.

The jury is out on Francis. Rutherford is a decent GM, but he's stuck in typical small-market hockey GM hell: big-time free agents don't want to go there, and so he's going to have to build his team out of young guys and spare parts and hope he gets lucky. This season the luck couldn't stay consistent. Hopefully next season they can make the playoffs. I'm thinking Ward, Muller or both is going to go in the offseason. Francis will do something big to make his mark.

Here's the million dollar question: do the Isles give up their pick to us, or do they delay a year and give it up for a draft that people are saying might be the deepest ever?

I liked the job Maurice did in Winnipeg this year, and if he can work out the family concerns, I would love to have him back. I think Trotz is a good coach too, but I don't like the overly defensive style his teams play.

I think Maurice is to Rutherford what Billy Martin is to the Yankees. I hope that Francis will go in another direction.

The jury is out on Francis. Rutherford is a decent GM, but he's stuck in typical small-market hockey GM hell: big-time free agents don't want to go there, and so he's going to have to build his team out of young guys and spare parts and hope he gets lucky. This season the luck couldn't stay consistent. Hopefully next season they can make the playoffs. I'm thinking Ward, Muller or both is going to go in the offseason. Francis will do something big to make his mark.

Francis is my childhood hero but I really don't know about him as a GM. Heard you are going to be tightening the belt down there, that the case?

Any thoughts about bringing back Lavvy? If you go in a retread direction he'd make sense unless he has major heat with the organization.

Trotz is a name a lot of Edmonton fans have batted around if they decide to make yet *another* change of direction.

I'm opposed to doing this based solely on too many changes in too many years, but it is interesting to consider. I don't think he'll be out of work very long if he wants a job.

Trotz strikes me as a Steve Mclaren or David Moyes in that he's fine for a small market whose standard is being mid table/upper mid table, but wouldn't succeed in a big time job. Heard similar criticism of Ruff, and while I think there's truth to that he did lead a team to the finals.

Francis is my childhood hero but I really don't know about him as a GM. Heard you are going to be tightening the belt down there, that the case?

Any thoughts about bringing back Lavvy? If you go in a retread direction he'd make sense unless he has major heat with the organization.

I don't know what "belt tightening" can be done. We got rid of Ruutu's deal, and Pittkanen is coming off of the books this summer, Semin is signed for another 5 years and Skinner's deal isn't that bad. We still have a decision to make on Hainsey's deal, but I suspect he'll be back. 

The big problem is that we're paying Eric Staal like he's an elite player and he's not. He's never going to be the 100+ point player that people thought he was going to be after the cup year. I think that he's a perfectly fine 70-80 point a year player, however.

The only fat that might be trimmed is if we trade or buyout Ward, but I don't see many takers on his 6.3 million deal. 

Trotz is a name a lot of Edmonton fans have batted around if they decide to make yet *another* change of direction.

I'm opposed to doing this based solely on too many changes in too many years, but it is interesting to consider. I don't think he'll be out of work very long if he wants a job.

Jeff Marek talked about how Linden and Eakins are like best buds, do all that bike riding shit together.  Maybe Eakins talks his way out of Edmonton?

Jeff Marek talked about how Linden and Eakins are like best buds, do all that bike riding shit together.  Maybe Eakins talks his way out of Edmonton?

Does that mean we're trading for Andrew Ference too?

The fact no one has fixed the obvious error in "The Photos That We Took Of Us" in like six months offered no such hint. So no.

That thread was started by Pete - for all I know it was intentional

• Like 1

I just saw that thread Caley started on HFboards about Feaster turning down Bouwmeester for Tatar AND Nyquist. Holy fuck, if that guy gets hired by any team (much less my team)... I don't even know.

I like Andrew MacDonald and all, but has his last two years really warranted that big contract? Man, being an NHL GM is some fucking gig.

• Like 2