DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Triple X! - Thread 2

Dolfan in NYC

The smart fan conspiracy theories spinning out of Lesnar/Taker will take us through the next 30 years. I can not wait. 

How can anyone possibly believe there were some good matches left in the streak? People, the man can't even move anymore. He's not actually a Lich.

Weirdly, I think that the battle royal may have been one of my favorite matches of the night. Del Rio was ON POINT murdering people and actually had me buying into him at least being the last guy in there with Big Show. Show just lurking in the ring like a 7 foot tall Jason was a very cool visual. 

I hate Kofi Kingston, but holy shit. That save spot...I don't even know how physics and reason allowed him to do that. I'm hoping they cover it on Cosmos. 

Same with Bray's spider pose thing, the camera followed Cena JUST enough for Bray to strike the pose, it was perfect.

It isn't a spider pose.  It is actually something quite clever and far more sinister. 

He is mimicking the epileptic-esque body contortion symptoms witnessed in people who allegedly suffered from demonic possession.

The first time I saw Bray do that in a match I was like, "Ohhhh, shit...."

You know you've watched too many horror movies when your first reaction to Bray was, "Oh man, he's Nell Sweetzer's evil twin brother!"  :)

Too bad they already booked Staples Center for Summerslam. I really think Brock, having just conquered the streak, versus Daniel Bryan for the WWE title could sell out a stadium.

Maybe they should move it across town to Dodger Stadium.

You know what was awesome about the Tiger Suplex, besides the fact that it happened? How it was built to. It felt like a natural idea for Triple H to have, and related to his game plan of the match. Fine don't let me put the chicken wing on again, I've got a better idea you little shit.

Besides that one move, I think it was one of Triple H's best performances. It wasn't just a brawl like his last few bouts. Remember in his younger days when he used to talk about all the tape he'd watch and how he was a student of "the game". Last night felt like that guy showed up and it was really fucking cool.

• Like 4

I think that's Hunter's best match ever, maybe. I'd have to rewatch the Taka match. I have rewatched a good amount of his 00 and most of what I saw didn't come close because he always ends up with a bloated mess of a third act and last night didn't have that at all.

It was really weird to me that we had two matches with double german suplexes. 

I think it was definitely his best non-garbage match, at least. I always find that the HHH matches I like involve lots of plundah. This was my favorite match that he worked just straight up.

For those wondering why they didn't take advantage of so many of the biggies in one place, we still don't know. They had plenty of time backstage at the HoF and Mania as well as in between to do something like this.

I'm glad they made Flair scarce for the rest of the weekend. I have very mixed feelings on all of his issues, and I think it's best that they keep him off-camera, probably for good aside from maybe a "Here's Ric Flair...wave" spot.

They could've done a tribute to the Great Day in Harlem.

Great_Day_in_Harlem.jpg

• Like 2

Also of note is that the two losses Brock Lesnar has since his return were in No DQ matches after taking his opponent's finisher on the steps. That's his kryptonite. If he stays out of No DQ matches and away from the steps, he's golden

• Like 2

Holy cow, this was one helluva show. I think the shitty Wrestlemania streak might have been broken as well. ;)

Cesaro winning and Taker losing were my legit holy shit moments. Hunter/Steph vs D-bry shenanigans were great too.

Kofi's strength is landing on the steps.  Is there money in a Brock vs Kofi in a steps match?

Does Brock even want to get in a steps contest with one of "those" dudes?

I'm a million years old.

2.) Brock's invincibility was obliterated at Extreme Rules 12 and they did nothing to help him recover with the HHH feud. He became a monster with more bark than bite. This is the reset of the mess they made.

Why do people keep saying this? Cena has been booked as an invincible GOAT candidate who got decimated and resorted to a desperate shot with a chain to steal a win. Triple H had his arms broken by the fella.

What ACTUALLY hurt his credibility was the CM Punk feud. With Heyman having to interrupt to save his hide on many occasions after Punk had basically destroyed him clean.

• Like 4

Thinking more on Brock/Taker, and the idea that some HOT YOUNG STAR should have ended the streak...

People butt hurt about this have conveniently forgotten that Daniel Bryan just became the most pushed guy in the history of the company by beating his EPIC BOSS and then destroying the top Legacy guys for the title in the main event. This is like Stone Cold having his Vince, Bret, and Rock matches in a single night. They're also ignoring Cesaro getting a Hogan homage and The Shield powerbombing the Attitude Era back to the 90's.

But more than that, I just don't see the gamble on a young guy breaking the streak. Someone pointed it out earlier: what if it had been Punk? And then he stopped working out and caring and fizzled out? What if it had been Legend Killer mode Orton? Is Randy Orton worth breaking the Streak in hindsight?

With Brock, they know exactly what they have: A part time guy that will deliver every time he makes an appearance. A monster character that is proven to make an impact, who is now even stronger with breaking the Streak. Business wise, I think it makes sense. It takes a certain amount of trust to be the guy to do something like this and they obviously trust Brock.

Plus now he gets to be this Super Shredder/Crimson King/Sigma megaboss waiting in the wings. It's going to be awesome.    

I really have no problem with Lesnar beating Undertaker.  I think someone like Roman Reigns beating Undertaker at this point could be a make or break moment or burden to his career that he doesn't need.  If Bryan had done it this year, people might have hated him for it.  Fans were going to get angry and ticked off about this no matter what, so it's better it was someone like Lesnar.

The streak had become downright comical to me because it was almost as revered as like the World Series or something.  People had truly talked themselves into believing it would never end and it would be great to have this legacy of a giant 20-plus year winstreak of Undertaker at WrestleMania.  But Taker has become older and slower, and suddenly the streak has lost its mystique.  I think it was better for it to end now than continuing another three years against the likes of Sting, Cena, etc because IMHO it can't frankly go on any longer.  

OK so he loses the streak to Sting?  Another old part-timer who will be pushing 60 by that point?  Sorry, but no.  Flat no.  And Cena?  Yeah fans will really be OK with that.

I'm not saying this is best case scenario of the streak ending.  The match itself was not one of Undertaker's better matches, but for the power of that moment and the reactions, I think it was good.

I think the problem is the audience did not have enough time to recover for Undertaker losing.  They shat on the Divas match and were depressed during the main event.  They really need to get a better handle on match placement and timing at Mania IMHO.  At WrestleMania 25, Undertaker and HBK had a five star classic, but then HHH really thought it was OK to put himself over Randy Orton in a lethargic main event.