DVDVR Message Board

April 2014 Football Thread

The Natural

What an emotional day. I shed some tears during YNWA, and almost shed some more watching Stevie tear up at the final whistle.

Fuck me, it feels weird to be in this position.

• Like 1

Atletico Madrid wins at Getafe, but perhaps at the cost of Diego Costa.

Per BBC Live Reporting:

A bitter sweet moment for Atletico. Adrian's low cross into the six-yard area sees Diego Costa stretch out his left leg to divert the ball over the line. But in doing so, Costa collides with a post and looks in serious pain. The Spain international is unable to celebrate and remain motionless on the floor.

On comes a stretcher and after a few minutes attention, the player is carried off with pain etched across his face. That does not look good.

I was thinking about the emotion swings for the Liverpool/Man City fans during the match yesterday. Wanted Liverpool to go all the way as a best friend of mine supports them, I know some do here. Be fitting to win their first Premier League Title on the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

Atletico Madrid wins at Getafe, but perhaps at the cost of Diego Costa.

Per BBC Live Reporting:

A bitter sweet moment for Atletico. Adrian's low cross into the six-yard area sees Diego Costa stretch out his left leg to divert the ball over the line. But in doing so, Costa collides with a post and looks in serious pain. The Spain international is unable to celebrate and remain motionless on the floor.

On comes a stretcher and after a few minutes attention, the player is carried off with pain etched across his face. That does not look good.

It looked real nasty lIve, with him bleeding from his shin after the impact, but Simeone said he was ok and shouldn't miss any time.

And Simeone added: "Diego is well and he is fine. One more cut won't do anything to this tiger."

"It's just a cut," confirmed Atleti, while Simeone's own personal press officer, Pepe Pasques, tweeted: "Relax everyone! Everything is fine. We just need to fix the post!"

• Like 1

Bloo shit lite to play first 3 seasons at Yankee Stadium. I can't wait to see the reaction when someone like Eillsbury breaks his leg on a divit. This is going to be such a train wreck, their 11 fans and the league are going to get everything they deserve and then some.

Bloo shit lite to play first 3 seasons at Yankee Stadium. I can't wait to see the reaction when someone like Eillsbury breaks his leg on a divit. This is going to be such a train wreck, their 11 fans and the league are going to get everything they deserve and then some.

And I can't wait for you to whiff on the rest of your predictions like the one about NYCFC playing next season in Tarrytown because MLB wouldn't allow them to use YS.

Seriously, this is hysterical. It's like you're impersonating Man United fans impression of the "bitter Blue," only you're in a spittle-spewing fury over a club that hasn't played a single game or signed a single player. Then again, I guess I can understand your anger after watching RBNY stink up the joint to start the season. Chin up little soldier...

• Like 2

3 years = new 60-90 days. NYCFC was basically a giant fuck you by the league to the fans in this area who've been supporting it since the beginning, so yeah I hate them.

They played YNWA on the Sirius XM footy channel this morning on my drive to work. I was wailing along with it, trying to hold back some tears. It was just the beginning of a very emotional day, both in Liverpool, and here in Calgary (for non-footballing reasons)

In lighter news re: Newcastle... there's a Newcastle fan on a board I read who's been keeping track of their current form. Just hopeless.

Let's update the list of pathetic results with the last two game shall we?

Newcastle 0
Newcastle 0
Newcastle 0
Newcastle 0
Newcastle 1
Newcastle 0
Newcastle 4
Newcastle 1
Newcastle 0
Newcastle 0
Newcastle 0
Newcastle 0
Newcastle 3
Newcastle 0
Newcastle 1
Newcastle 0
Newcastle 0

17 games, 10 goals from 5 games.

I had some password/log in issues for a few days but I have it all sorted out now. I just wanted to say that the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on Hillsborough tonight was incredible, intense, heartbreaking, gutting and powerful. I hope ESPN replays it often because everyone needs to see it. Incredible documentary!

Dortmund is the first team to advance to the German cup final due to a 2:0 home win against Wolfsburg. Bayern will be their most likely opponent there, having to play a home game against 2. Bundesliga club Kaiserslautern. Interesting how this possible final will be treated by both clubs, Bayern still has the cup final 2012 to make up for when they lost 2:5 against Dortmund, while Dortmund would like to win a title at the end of a tough, but ultimately not too bad season I could imagine. With Lewandowski on his way out and great strikers being rare in the Bundesliga aswell as Bayern being as strong as they are it´s tough to say if Dortmund will be able to grab some gold over the next few years, so this might be the last opportunity in quite some time.

Oh, and: Spanish Copa del Rey final coming up aswell. Barca and Real battling for the title could be terrific with the quality this season´s el clasicos had so far.

EDIT: With Bayern 3:0 up 55 minutes in, the Dortmund - Bayern final is pretty much set.
Watching the Copa del Rey now, Barca really slow out of the gate and Real takes the lead with a Di Maria goal that looked like clear offside at first glance.