DVDVR Message Board

things always look up at rock bottom.

So I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one
They always told me when you hit it you'll know it
But I've been falling so long it's like gravity's gone and I'm just floating

Fuck you house, and your fucking stupid refrigerator.  I've got two mini-fridges crammed with whatever food we could salvage, with water draining onto the floor and the big icebox now turned into a warm stinky boat anchor.  Go join the dishwasher and the bigscreen TV as things we can't afford to fix and really needed to work.  (Not mocking you JL, commiserating with sympathy and empathy.  This sucks.)  (and I'd greatly appreciate any kind of response to those PMs I sent you, flat silence and refusal to communicate is something that I've never understood and it just drives me up the wall with bewildered frustration.)

Can definitely sympathize.  Been living in my house for my whole life and inherited it when my mom passed away eight years ago.  Unfortunately, I'm just about clueless about being a homeowner and there are sooooo many problems that need fixed.  Drains backing up, faucets dripping, a screwed-up thermostat that leaves the furnace not knowing when to turn off, etc.

Drains backing up and faucets dripping are easy fixes.  Try some drano on the backed-up drains and you can google how to fix a dripping faucet.  

• Like 1

The main drain problem is the bathtub.  Once in a blue moon it'll drain(albeit VERY slowly), but most of the time I need to literally sponge-mop it out.  Drano doesn't help.  I don't know if it's just a ton of hair and other junk in there or what.  Any water run in the bathroom sink will even back up in the tub.  It sucks.

The main drain problem is the bathtub.  Once in a blue moon it'll drain(albeit VERY slowly), but most of the time I need to literally sponge-mop it out.  Drano doesn't help.  I don't know if it's just a ton of hair and other junk in there or what.  Any water run in the bathroom sink will even back up in the tub.  It sucks.

Yeah, that's a lot more serious.  You could try snaking it yourself but likely better to just have a pro do it.  It could also be that the pipes themselves have picked up deposits that have narrowed their openings.  But, yeah, if you're sponging out water most of the time, you need to get that fixed.

Do you have American Water as a water company? If not, does your water company offer "sewer insurance" for lack of a better term?  If so, buy it now, wait three months and call in a claim.

Speaking as a homeowner, I can tell you that You Tube is  KILLER teacher for the fixes that need done. I have gotten tons of help that way and saved loads of cash doing it.

If water from your sink is backing up INTO the tub, then unless you are very far into the "handy" side of the spectrum, (be brutally honest with yourself here,) you need a pro to fix it.

Speaking as a homeowner, I can tell you that You Tube is  KILLER teacher for the fixes that need done. I have gotten tons of help that way and saved loads of cash doing it.

I changed my outlet last week using Youtube.  One day I get home, and half the outlets and one room weren't working.  Did some googling, found out the most likely cause is one of the outlets on the chain stopped working, and caused the ones down the line to stop working also.  Figured out which one it was, replaced it, and bingo all the lights came back on.  Saved myself at least $100 on a professional.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't hard, but it is one of those things if I was rich I would have just picked up the phone.  But I'm poor :(  Also used Youtube to install a dishwasher, garbage disposal, and a thermostat.

• Like 1

F this "age of intolerance" we seem to be in.  Thanks to the internet, all you need is a computer and a handful of brain cells to be able to "publish" a viewpoint.  I can barely post anything on social media without it somehow erupting into a political argument.  Makes me feel justified in shutting myself off from humanity for the most part...sometimes people just suck.

If it's just hair and gunk, I recommend a drain blaster. It's worked wonders for my sink drains.

Just use my technique: massive endless Walls Of Text.  DROWN them in facts.  Link to a bunch of credible sources, in a wide variety of places.  Make them look like total fools by condescendingly chiding them for every single dumb factual mistake they say, every time they ignore anything you wrote as if you never said it.  Be as smug and sarcastic as humanly possible.  If you do it right and do it consistently, eventually 90% of those fuckers will just give up even TRYING to argue with you.  

Fuck you Elliot Rodger for deciding that the best way to handle rejection by women was to murder seven women. Men like you make women like me SCARED, because you seem so normal.

If you need me, I'll be in my hole...

• Like 3