DVDVR Message Board

Also an issue: the fucking shitty terrible way kids get educated and gendered, where boys get taught that love is sex and sex is success, and girls are taught all the severely fucking backwards & destructive things they're taught. This person's perceptive tools were busted, but they were busted within tragically familiar social norms. Making this a mental health or singular outlier is convenient, and anything convenient cannot be an answer. The way we teach (our schools and our communities) is failing us, literally catastrophically.

So Fuck All Of That, I guess.

I agree that the way our society thinks about gender and gender roles is far from ideal, and hurts a lot of people.

It also seems very reasonable to suppose that this way of thinking played a large role in contributing to these killings.

But you read what the guy wrote, and I think it's impossible not to conclude that mental health played a large part in this as well. The level of narcissism, the lack of self-awareness, and the total lack of empathy... it's hard not to conclude that something was seriously wrong with this guy. And though his thought processes were clearly filtered through toxic ideas about gender, it seems hard to believe that someone so messed up wouldn't have been set off by something else eventually.

But I agree with you - these sorts of incidents shouldn't just be written off as "well, this guy was nuts", while the rest of the more complicated issues get swept under the rug. I just think we should be careful about going to the other extreme as well.

• Like 1

This is really minor compared to other folks but fuck you to my ex girlfriend. You break up with me when I'm at my lowest, now you want to have a final talk? So I can hear from you....again how much imperfect I've been? Fuck you, no. You broke up with me, just leave me be and let me live my life!

Go ask a school girl in Nigeria or a mother in Saudi Arabia or an only female child in China how "messed up" they think our "gender-values system" is.

It's not a competition.

"It's worse elsewhere" and "We need to do better" are ideas that exist at the same time. They don't cancel each other out.

No they don't, but it certainly puts things in perspective. There's a billion and one things to enumerate about the shittiness regarding America. Gender equality isn't really one of them. At least not to the point that it warrants discussion on a topic like mass shootings.

Go ask a school girl in Nigeria or a mother in Saudi Arabia or an only female child in China how "messed up" they think our "gender-values system" is.

What BL88 said. Saying "gee, this one guy is terrible, I hate that guy" doesn't mean that a response of "WELL GO BE FRIENDS WITH HITLER THEN, IF YOU HATE THAT GUY SO MUCH" makes any damn sense.

RE: Russia, that's because there's plenty of pockets of insurgency and whatnot across the continents for would-be murderers to channel their violent tendencies. Psycopathy isn't a condition solely imputed onto Americans, but the way its carried out is. I'm all for "blame America first," but these are asinine points.

Once again:

1. Don't just say "asinine!" and run off, EXPLAIN your points.

2. It's not like we don't have PLENTY of "legitimate" outlets for American psychopaths to channel their violent tendencies. Law enforcement, the military, various shady mercenary and private security outfits, non-serial-killing criminal activities, combat sports, bar/street fights, hunting, losing yourself in the fantasy of proxy violence in the entertainment media... the list goes on and on.

I've explained my points sufficiently. But to put another way: you criticize gender values in U.S. as one of the reasons why these mass shootings take place, yet it other places of the world where gender equity is a four-lettered term, these acts don't take place. So clearly there's something else afoot. All of those professions you listed operate legally, someone with a real itchy trigger finger isn't going to take the time to fill out all those forms, they want to act immediately on their impulse to kill. Going a rebel group in the Caucuses is such an outlet, not signing up for Blackwater's six month training program.

Ok kids, out of the pool. This thread has done too much good to be shut down because some people want to argue politics. Take it to a new thread or private messages.

At no point has anyone mentioned a left and/or right position. Discussing topics that omit the words "work rate," "finisher," or "needs to be put over" doesn't = POLITICZ.

"It's worse elsewhere" and "We need to do better" are ideas that exist at the same time. They don't cancel each other out.

No they don't, but it certainly puts things in perspective. There's a billion and one things to enumerate about the shittiness regarding America. Gender equality isn't really one of them. At least not to the point that it warrants discussion on a topic like mass shootings.

We can discuss both. And we should. Because they both fucking matter quite a bit.

Let's go ahead and take it out of this thread. I don't mind people talking about it, and Rippa of course can over rule me on this, but make your own thread and when you inevitably fuck it up by personally attacking each other I'll shut it down. And probably hand out a time out or two. So. That's the warning.

• Like 3

I feel like I hit bottom Friday. But every time I think that, the floor shatters and I fall further. 

I have had worse times in my life. But I never paid so much financially and spiritually to be crushed. On top of that I sold one of my most prized possessions and I have nothing to show for it. 

Gotta give myself a big F You for thinking that moving into a house with a deck was a great idea. Guess what? It's not! Deck's are a pain-in-the-ass to maintain! DON'T MOVE INTO A HOUSE WITH A DECK!

Yeah, we did that too. I tore said deck down within three years of moving in and will NEVER replace it.

I feel like I hit bottom Friday. But every time I think that, the floor shatters and I fall further. 

I have had worse times in my life. But I never paid so much financially and spiritually to be crushed. On top of that I sold one of my most prized possessions and I have nothing to show for it. 

Be well, Vic.  *e-hugs*

• Like 2

Fuck my trash.  For whatever reason it smells like someone gathered up all the 1/2 empty bar glasses with cigarettes in them, drank them all, barfed them back up, and let that ferment in a corrugated metal shed for a week in 90 degree temperatures.

I'm sitting here trying my damndest to not vomit myself.

Be well, Vic.  *e-hugs*

Ditto.  I know the feeling, all too well.  

(And hey Burgundy, if you were perplexed at a certain attempted add on FB with the initials BN, that's me.)

• Like 3

Gotta give myself a big F You for thinking that moving into a house with a deck was a great idea. Guess what? It's not! Deck's are a pain-in-the-ass to maintain! DON'T MOVE INTO A HOUSE WITH A DECK!

Yeah, we did that too. I tore said deck down within three years of moving in and will NEVER replace it.

Scrubbing/staining/sealing a deck isn't all that much work aside from a  few hours but I have to replace a board or two before we put our house on the market, and figure out a way to repair a loose corner, hopefully w/o needing a ladder since I get bugged out by heights. That's the part that stinks -- I'm okay with some house case stuff (I can replace a toilet!) but stuff like sawing and the like isn't anything I'm particularly great at. And I lost a weekend doing so since it was raining on and off this weekend.

It's really not worth it. My wife likes to sit outside but we also have a front patio. I also love it when our deck-less neighbors grill out front. Everyone sort of hangs out and sometimes an impromptu block barbecue starts up.

One of my favorite moments of my life came in 2007. That was when the Phillies clinched the NL East on the final day of the season, capping a ridiculous comeback against the Mets. My wife and I have the MLB package so our house became a headquarters of sorts for a few of our neighbors who would pop in to get Mets scores over those weeks. The day they clinched became a block party and we had multiple front grill operations going on.

Decks don't provide such opportunities!

The one good thing is that maybe the person who wants to buy our house will be seduced by deck ownership like we were.

The hopeful new house (god, I don't want to jinx this!) has a back patio.

The real grail is the composite deck.  Low maintenance, but expensive as heck to build.

AND if it's installed wrong (like our deck was prior to us buying the house) the fucking thing buckles and crumbles as the composite expands and contracts.

FUCK DECKS!

The real grail is the composite deck.  Low maintenance, but expensive as heck to build.

Ah, that's what I was thinking about.  Just had the wrong name.

Maybe paving blocks from Lowe's or Home Depot would work.  Unless your deck is up high.  Then never mind me.