DVDVR Message Board

Ligerbusa

• 1 month later...

The official title of the new movie is not Terminator: Genesis, it's...Terminator: Genisys

Yeah. They're getting destroyed over it.

Whatever Genisys is, it seems like it's going to play a big part in the movie. There were Genisys banners on the San Francisco set with the tagline, "Link Life'.

• 2 months later...

Matt Smith has to John Connor's son or brother.

Someone on Twitter leaked some images from the teaser that will be out soon, possibly with Interstellar. 

Some blurry and dark shots of Reese and Sarah running and shooting. Unfinished shots of HKs over Hollywood and an HK Centurion, an old Cameron design that never made it into the films. Apparently it's called a Spider Tank in the script. There was also a shot of 1984 Arnold which is actually from The Terminator. It's this image.

terminator_to_do_list_.jpg?cb=1406298759

Next shot was over his shoulder as someone is approaching him. It's older Arnold carrying a shotgun. The leaked plot that's out there (said to be old) had the name for older Arnold. They called him the Watchman, the casting sheet I found called him Guardian.

There's also a shot of T-1000 crashing thorugh a car windshield. The leaker said there's other versions of the trailer, one using a cover of Eurythmics, "Sweet Dreams".

This seems to be the movie. It's batshit crazy. Now, it's possible this is all bullshit but the same plot was written by two different people, one of which spoiled Arnold's role as Sarah's father figure a few months ago. And a lot of it matches up with what I've seen and heard.

SPOILER TAGS AREN'T WORKING FOR SOME REASON

We start in 2029 with Connor sending Reese back to 1984. This scene will probably be great. With Reese in the machine, a new Terminator sneaks up on Connor. Apparently this is a T-5000, made of nano-mites.

We're now in 1984 and we see the T-800 arrival scene from The Terminator at Griffith Park. But an older Arnold shows up with Sarah Connor. The older Arnold is called the Guardian. They destroy the other T-800. The Guardian has protected Sarah since she was 9 years old when her parents were killed by a T-1000. The Guardian has told her everything about the future.

Reese arrives and again, it's mostly the scene from The Terminator but with Jai Courtney instead of Michael Biehn. The cops are after him after he steals the hobo's clothes but this time, one of the cops is the T-1000, played by Byung-hun Lee. He has a partner, a T-800 or T-850, probably played by Aaron Williamson.

Sarah and the Guardian save Reese and eventually destroy the T-1000 and T-800. Somehow, the Guardian has built Time Displacement Equipment in 1984. Reese has a flash forward from 2017, I guess his history is being rewritten, he remembers receiving some sort of iPod device from his parents. This has something to do with Genisys, the new SkyNet.

So the Guardian sends Reese and Sarah to 2017 to stop Genisys. The Guardian can't go himself because his flesh has been damaged. This explains why Arnold has brown hair in the recent Entertainment Weekly picture.

OndlfMC-wrg.jpg

He looks like modern day Arnold Schwarzenegger because he's been there since the 60s.

Sarah and Reese arrive in 2017 and meet the Guardian. This is where he has grey hair, he's been waiting for them for 33 years. They also run into an adult John Connor. Except he's not exactly John Connor, the T-5000 nano-mites took over him in 2029 and he's now a Terminator. A similar idea was tossed from both Terminator 3 and Terminator Salvation. Actually, I think it's almost exactly what they had planned for T3. He's creating Genisys, apparently Miles & Danny Dyson work for him. 

The Guardian ends up sacrificing himself to destroy John Connor and Genisys. Reese tries to tell Sarah that the Guardian didn't love her, he was just a machine but she's upset that her father is dead. And then...the Guardian reforms as liquid metal, he is now a T-1000. He had to do something in those 33 years, right?

And we also get a computer screen that says Genisys is rebooting, teasing the second film which is scheduled to shoot back to back with a third.

Matt Smith's role wasn't mentioned, it was hinted to me that he could be SkyNet itself or perhaps the T-5000 that infects John. I still think it's possible he could be a younger John Connor, he looks a lot like Jason Clarke. Smith is signed up for the sequels. Perhaps Sarah gives birth to John in 2018 now.

They aren't even trying to avoid time travel issues are they?

A Terminator/John Connor from 2029 has travelled back to 2017 to build Genisys while at the same time Reece from 2029 and Sarah from 1984 travel from 1984 to 2017 to stop said TerminatorConner while a copy of the original Terminator from 1984, who has been reprogrammed as the Guardian, waits around and self upgrades because... reasons?

Jesus Titty Fucking Christ...

I'll wait until actually seeing the fucking movie before casting judgement.  And so should you.  

Everyone was screaming that the new Bad Lieutenant movie was gonna suck because it was a "remake" starring Nicolas Cage, and it turned out to be a goddamned masterpiece.  And don't go saying "yeah, but Werner Herzog" because Terminator: Genisys's director Alan Taylor has some street cred his damn self: he directed episodes in practically every HBO masterpiece show: Oz, The Sopranos (including the penultimate episode where Tony's inner circle gets whacked), Carnivale, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire,  and Game of Thrones (including the episode where poor Ned Stark got his).  And he did side gigs directing Homicide: Life on the Streeet, Lost, The West Wing, Mad Men, and Law & Order.  "What about big-screen movie credentials?!" you say?  Well, he is the fella who just directed Thor: The Dark World, which was at least better than the first Thor movie, and shows he's plenty competent at handling big-budget ongoing franchise tentpole films; and he's also done a couple of indy flicks I haven't seen, Kill the Poor and Palookaville.  

What about the script?  Here we're on admittedly weaker ground, but it's not terrible.  The two credited writers are Laeta Kalogridis and Patrick Lussier.  Laeta was the creator of Birds of Prey, and wrote the screenplays for Night Watch (the Russian one) and Shutter Island.  Patrick wrote Drive Angry and those I'm-told-they're-not-completely-terrible Dracula movies with Rutger Hauer.  

Why am I usually the only one pointing out this stuff?  The movie may indeed turn out to be completely terrible, I don't know; I haven't seen it and it sounds like nobody else has either, they're deep into the post-production phase where everybody disappears into tiny dark rooms with computers for the editing and the usual cubicles for all the CG work.  

"What about big-screen movie credentials?!" you say? Well, he is the fella who just directed Thor: The Dark World, which was at least better than the first Thor movie, and shows he's plenty competent at handling big-budget ongoing franchise tentpole films;

It's not a big secret that THOR was basically taken away from him in post.