DVDVR Message Board

2014-2015 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

The NCAA has, for once, acceded to logic and will call the first and second rounds the tournament the first and second round, the way every right-thinking person already does.  No more pretending that the play-in games constitute a round.

• Like 1

In case anyone is interested, the tourney sites for '16, '17 and '18 were also announced today.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24817188/ncaa-announces-all-mens-tourney-sites-for-2016-2017-2018

Sweet - the NCAAs are coming back to Spokane.  Maybe I can land a press pass and hang out with Kevin Durant in the entrance tunnel again ;)

For the Spokane Regional, Idaho is listed as the host. Is that so Gonzaga could possibly play there?

The story also says MSG is hosting a regional final one year. When was the last time MSG hosted NCAA tournament games?

Edited by Dewar

For the Spokane Regional, Idaho is listed as the host. Is that so Gonzaga could possibly play there?

The story also says MSG is hosting a regional final one year. When was the last time MSG hosted NCAA tournament games?

UConn just went through MSG to get to the Final Four last season.

Crap, didn't remember that. In my defense, it was 53 years since the previous time they hosted. :)

Greggulator might be able to answer this: What the hell happened to St. Joe's? They almost got tripled at Gonzaga last night.

Crap, didn't remember that. In my defense, it was 53 years since the previous time they hosted. :)

Greggulator might be able to answer this: What the hell happened to St. Joe's? They almost got tripled at Gonzaga last night.

St. Joe's only really played six players last season. Four of those guys aren't on this year's team (graduation, left to play overseas, etc.). The one returnee who started is a sophomore who is really struggling. The other returnee got hurt and is red-shirting (and isn't that good anyways).

They lost to Fairleigh Dickinson on opening night.

They also have a pretty hard out-of-conference schedule -- they've got Villanova, Temple, and the under-the-radar Western Kentucky and Denver. The A-10 is also a consistent mine field. This is going to be a loooooong year for the Hawks.

In other Philly hoops news:

La Salle is hosting the next time Philly gets the regionals. That's awesome and I'm trying to figure out a way to scam free tickets.

The Explorers are 2-0 in two shaky wins against Colgate and Quinnipiac. Wins are wins, but we escaped both times. We have a really good senior frontcourt, but they haven't gotten going yet, and the rest of the rotation is largely comprised of freshmen, first-year-transfers or guys who didn't get a ton of minutes last year. It's a really interesting mix of talent that hasn't come together quite yet. I think they'll end up at least decent by the end of the year.

I had LaSalle on the moneyline against Quinnipiac. I was cursing you out for most of that game. :)

I think we were dogs headed into it, even?

Sorry if you watched that game. It may have set basketball back 40-50 years or so. Man was it ugly.

I hate the "NBA vs. NCAA" argument where you seemingly can't be a fan of either. I love both. I just love basketball. But anyone who thinks the quality of play in the NCAA is anywhere near as good as the NBA really needs to watch more basketball.

The NCAA is more fun, though. Obviously the main attraction with March Madness is gambling and office pools and the like. But another aspect is that it's truly the most American sporting event. How many cities in America have professional sports teams? I think 45? 50? College football is nationally popular but doesn't have much of a following in the urban Northeast, which is the most populated part of the country.

When La Salle was in the Sweet 16, we played Boise State (which I think is mostly a commuter school w/ bigtime football), the "other" state school in Kansas that has an agricultural leaning, and the bastion of the traditional south in Ole Miss. We then got bounced by a commuter school in Kansas (Wichita) that has a pro-like following.

KU was down 15 at the half to Florida, now up by 8.  I've never seen them play as badly as they did the first half and rarely as well as they half in the 2nd.  What a weird fuckin' game.