DVDVR Message Board

The Batman: Arkham series.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is much longer than anticipated, however this is a new-gen exclusive game.  It's Rocksteady's final Batman Arkham game.  You really have to give them all the time they need.

It's kind of like with Projekt RED and Witcher 3.  Eventually 2014 became February 2015, but look at the results.  The game looks unbelievable and will be like one of the most immersive RPG experiences ever.  Takes time to get all that right.  And that also means it will be really polished and smooth.  Remember how smooth and polished Arkham City was?  I have no doubt Rocksteady can do it again, just give them however much time they need.  

I think we need to give Rocksteady credit here for now bowing to corporate pressure.  However, by the same token, they better deliver and not fuck us over like the final act of Mass Effect 3.

Honestly I'm kind of happy for the break because it gives me more time to play more stuff until Knight comes out.  So now I don't have to get everything in this fall.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does this game also have a contrived reason why there are no regular citizens in the city?  I loved Arkham City but at some point they're going to have to stop with the "closed sandbox" approach.  It's worse than GTA's "broken bridge" tactics.

edit:

On Halloween night, Scarecrow threatens the city with his newly created strain of fear toxin and bombs planted throughout Gotham, forcing the evacuation of the city's six million civilians.

sigh

If they can balance the scale of it (the game looks huge), and get the Batmobile control mechanics right. And if we can get a half decent multi-player, I don't think it will be an overblown statement to say this could be the best game ever. 

Rocksteady already confirmed no multiplayer.  Probably just the challenge maps.

Does this game also have a contrived reason why there are no regular citizens in the city?  I loved Arkham City but at some point they're going to have to stop with the "closed sandbox" approach.

The city has been evacuated.  Remember the first trailer?  Scarecrow gives out his warning and says they have this one chance to evacuate, and we see most of the city evacuating.  So that's why Gotham will only have cops, criminals and probably a handful of civilians who couldn't make it out.

Thanks!  I forgot about that and looked it up.  How did they approach it in Arkham Origins?  Just "strangely deserted" streets because it was Christmas Eve?  I only played Asylum and City.

In Origins it was way more contrived.  Police had a curfew in effect because all the criminals out in town to kill Batman and stuff.

Yeah, they needed civilians in this one. Hopefully in the next Batman game we get some sort of story where the city isn't in crisis and you can just sweep the streets doling out sweet justice to punks.

Just remember any future Batman game will not have Rocksteady at the helm.  It will be either WB Montreal or heck, maybe even Monolith.

To be honest, after what Monolith did with Shadow of Mordor, they would be my first choice to do a new Batman game or a Batman Beyond game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Origins was such a frustrating game.  The boss fights were the best of the series, the story was a real good Year 1-2 story, and the CSI stuff was excellently done.

But man, the slowed down combat, the upgrade in order tree, including missable upgrade conditions, and the fucking Riddler Bugs making it impossible to ever 100% the game, yeah.

• Like 2

Origins was such a frustrating game.  The boss fights were the best of the series, the story was a real good Year 1-2 story, and the CSI stuff was excellently done.

But man, the slowed down combat, the upgrade in order tree, including missable upgrade conditions, and the fucking Riddler Bugs making it impossible to ever 100% the game, yeah.

Yeah, they added an animation or something which made it incredibly hard to counter. The upgrade tree was fucking bullshit as well. Same with the 'challenges' which you had to do in order and didn't work in challenge maps. So you basically had to do them from the get go, otherwise you'd miss the opportunity to do them again.

I remember playing Origins and thinking it was more of the same which was a good thing, but the more I reflect upon the game, the more I realize it was an unpolished piece of shit. I did enjoy the DLC though, wish they did more of them.