DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2013-14 Regular Season - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

Thank you sir!

So here's the list of people who have scored 40+ this season and never been an All-Star:

Terrence Ross

Arron Afflalo

Marcus Thornton

Gerald Green

Trevor Ariza

Al Jefferson

Goran Dragic

Rudy Gay

Obviously Gay, Jefferson, and Dragic are no surprise but the rest of the list is really WTF. Arron Afflalo???

Arron Afflalo???

A guy scoring 19.6 ppg having a 40-point game is not unusual.  Afflalo scoring nearly 20ppg is a bit of surprise, but he's playing on a crap team where someone has to take the shots.  I don't know how you can be surprised by Afflalo but not Dragic.

Cause Dragic is having a hell of a season to the point that he was a serious All-Star contender.

You're totally right that it's not inconceivable that a 20ppg guy on a crap team can get 40 points, but I don't think anyone has been talking about Affalo as they have Dragic which is more my point.

Cause Dragic is having a hell of a season to the point that he was a serious All-Star contender.

You're totally right that it's not inconceivable that a 20ppg guy on a crap team can get 40 points, but I don't think anyone has been talking about Affalo as they have Dragic which is more my point.

Affalo, Lowry, and Stephenson were probably the three best guards in the East before the All-Star break.  Affalo didn't make it based on where he played, Lowry didn't make it because everyone hates his guts, and Stephenson lost out because he is most likely a crazy person.  I'm not really complaining because if I had to watch a basketball exhibition I'd much rather watch Kyrie Irving and Dwyane Wade, but those other guys were playing better, or at least more consistently at the time.

Oh, and who knew that Thabo was such a big piece of what the Thunder do?  People want to blame Westbrook fro their struggles, but giving up 40 to guys like Jodie Meeks and Gerald Green is a much bigger problem than Westbrook shooting too much.  Thabo as a defensive stopper is a big part of what they do, and they really miss him.

So this happened:

Rep. Pat Garofalo @PatGarofalo

Let's be honest, 70% of teams in NBA could fold tomorrow + nobody would notice a difference w/ possible exception of increase in streetcrime

God some people are dumb.

With that said, the percentage of professional athletes that get arrested is far less than males of the same age range over the entire population.  The only difference is that we know the names of the athletes that do crimes, and we don't know the names of the millions of people doing crimes day by day. 

Before Felton got cuffed, I can't even remember the last NBA player to get arrested.  Whereas the NFL skims by on this sort of stereotype while becoming possible triple murderers, suspected serial rapists, and fiancee punchout kings.

Because southern white people love the NFL.

Southern white people love college football.  The NFL?  Varies depending on exactly where you are in the South.

Obviously, it's a multi-layered situation that comes into play with the NBA = TBA (Thug Basketball Association) with some people.  But I don't think it's a case of regional bias that much.  Southern whites never followed the NBA with any dedication.

The perception of a 20/20 game, mostly.

20/15 is exceptional but 20/20 is really eyecatching, like 35 points or 40 points and 45 points or 50 points. It's just the perception even though it's only 5 rebounds (or points).

I knew the Heat were in the shit tonight rebounding when the Wiz had like 9 offensive boards in the first quarter.

Phil Jackson will be named the new VP of Operations for the New York Knickerbockers by Friday.  

That sound you hear is the clock officially ticking on Mike Woodson's career as Knicks Head Coach. 

I really like Enes Kanter.  Dude always brings it everytime I see him play.  Not sure what the Jazz are missing really, since they have some really solid guys.  Burke is going to be a great NBA PG in a year or two, Kanter is developing as a very good big man, and Hayward is usually reliable.  Anyone who's seen more of them have any thoughts?  I've honestly only seen them when they play the Mavs.

Not saying the Heat or LeBron are in a slump and I realize that it was just a regular season game and it's not going to change anything come playoff time, but..........

.....I LOVE that Pierce is still giving LBJ grief in 2014.