DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2013-14 Regular Season - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

I know some people who actually think the Lakers will get to pick high enough to get a Parker or Wiggins.  Those people are crazy, or seem confident in one of those envelopes having a bent corner.

Or realize that the Lakers are in the 5-6 spot. Not too far off from having a high lottery pick. C'mon RandomAct, you should know by now that just because a team has won 13 games like the Bucks it doesn't mean they're getting the #1 pick. Lakers have good odds. Since 1985 only 4 teams with the worst record have won the lottery. In that same time frame, teams in the 5-8 range have won it 12 times. Pretty good odds for those teams. So for those of us rooting for teams with 22 wins (talking to you Jazz/Celtics/Lakers fans!) we have a good shot.  Will they get in the 1-3 range, its a possibility. I'm ok with them drafting 5th or 6th. They'll get someone good in this draft. 

So I just had a horrifying thought...

Lakers seem to like the crazy players...

They're getting a high (but not too high) draft pick...

Alfredo, you can stop worrying where the Lakers end up, we're getting Marcus Smart.

Lakers usually swing for the fences when they have a high draft pick. They did it with Bynum and somehow got as much as they could out of his bad knees before he went completely nuts. They handled the injuries better than we fans did (remember how many times we wanted him traded while they were contending?), but that last season when he started being a clown was ridiculous. 

I think they'd be a team that would take Exum or Embiid (I could also see them passing on Embiid since I'm not sure they can stomach the back injury) if they're in the top 3 because well, Parker and Wiggins haven't really been lighting the world on fire. If the Lakers are in the 5-6 range, I think for Marcus Smart, he better hope the Lakers take him because he's listed in the Kings spot A LOT. I would have way more faith in Smart's career if he's with the Lakers than with the Kings.

One thing I've noticed this season is that there's a lot of talent in college, but no one really is standing above everyone else. You might get the best player at 10. I like Gary Harris out of MSU and he's listed lower in the lottery. Even guys like Payne and Cauley-Stein have shown some potential. Usually its about where you get drafted.

This will be another crazy draft if a lot of the guys listed in mock drafts declare.

Sixers honored Scott Hartnell last night. They should sign him to a 10 day contract because he'd be better than what they have now and all the Flyers fans would come to games.

I know some people who actually think the Lakers will get to pick high enough to get a Parker or Wiggins.  Those people are crazy, or seem confident in one of those envelopes having a bent corner.

Or realize that the Lakers are in the 5-6 spot. Not too far off from having a high lottery pick. C'mon RandomAct, you should know by now that just because a team has won 13 games like the Bucks it doesn't mean they're getting the #1 pick. Lakers have good odds. Since 1985 only 4 teams with the worst record have won the lottery. In that same time frame, teams in the 5-8 range have won it 12 times. Pretty good odds for those teams. So for those of us rooting for teams with 22 wins (talking to you Jazz/Celtics/Lakers fans!) we have a good shot.  Will they get in the 1-3 range, its a possibility. I'm ok with them drafting 5th or 6th. They'll get someone good in this draft. 

So I just had a horrifying thought...

Lakers seem to like the crazy players...

They're getting a high (but not too high) draft pick...

Alfredo, you can stop worrying where the Lakers end up, we're getting Marcus Smart.

Lakers usually swing for the fences when they have a high draft pick. They did it with Bynum and somehow got as much as they could out of his bad knees before he went completely nuts. They handled the injuries better than we fans did (remember how many times we wanted him traded while they were contending?), but that last season when he started being a clown was ridiculous. 

I think they'd be a team that would take Exum or Embiid (I could also see them passing on Embiid since I'm not sure they can stomach the back injury) if they're in the top 3 because well, Parker and Wiggins haven't really been lighting the world on fire. If the Lakers are in the 5-6 range, I think for Marcus Smart, he better hope the Lakers take him because he's listed in the Kings spot A LOT. I would have way more faith in Smart's career if he's with the Lakers than with the Kings.

One thing I've noticed this season is that there's a lot of talent in college, but no one really is standing above everyone else. You might get the best player at 10. I like Gary Harris out of MSU and he's listed lower in the lottery. Even guys like Payne and Cauley-Stein have shown some potential. Usually its about where you get drafted.

This will be another crazy draft if a lot of the guys listed in mock drafts declare.

I just think it's unreasonable to think they'll get 1-3.  4-7, sure.  I can buy that.  I just think Laker fans are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think they are getting Wiggins or Jabari.  Now if they can grab Smart, Exum, or Embiid, that would honestly be much better picks for their team needs.  It would also smell less fishy.

For most of the guys, it depends on the team that drafts them. Bill and Jalen will go over this ad naseum on Grantland podcacts. From a franchise stand point, who would you rather join? A mess like the Cavs, or a team that at least has a plan like the Jazz or the Celts?

There's too much pressure and money put on these college guys for this to happen, but what IF Wiggins, Parker, Emibiid didn't come out this year?  The anger would be so pure.

Looking at the 76ers schedule the next legitimate chance they have of winning is probably against the Pistons, which would be the game they would have to win to stop from getting the NBA losing streak record.  Biggest game of the year, Fowler.

For most of the guys, it depends on the team that drafts them. Bill and Jalen will go over this ad naseum on Grantland podcacts. From a franchise stand point, who would you rather join? A mess like the Cavs, or a team that at least has a plan like the Jazz or the Celts?

Lakers.  Stupidly signing Kobe to that albatross of a contract aside, I can't imagine they'll be bad for too long.  And you know they'll be on TV, no matter what.

The thing about the Lakers is yes they are a destination team that will spend the money. But the ones who built that dynasty were Dr. Buss and Jerry West. Neither of which is walking through that door. I'm sure they'll get their act together and anyone would be thrilled to be drafted by them. That's assuming Jeanie Buss really is taking over.. . .