DVDVR Message Board

Dexter: The Final Season

Petey

I think Masuka's daughter not being anywhere in the final episode is what made me the angriest. What the hell was the point of introducing that entire "story" in the final season if it was going nowhere? I kept waiting for the episode to take an unexpected turn an any moment and have her show up to drug Dexter and strap him to a table or something because he killed her real Dad in a previous season or something, but nope. Just pointless, poorly written, and aimless from episode 1 of this season. How horrible.

Can we get back to talking about what an asshole Dexter was in the finale? Because he was an asshole.Who the hell is he to get to decide that Deb is going to just vanish from the hospital and sleep with the fishes instead of getting a proper burial? Seriously. I know the Morgans didn't exactly have a big family or anything, but Deb had fucking friends and loved ones who might have wanted to be able to pay their respects and bury her. In fact, I'd say she damn well would have deserved that, as opposed to decomposing at the bottom of the ocean with a bunch of murderers. But, no, Dexter decides that's how it's going to be, because....why? Don't you dare say because he technically killed her and that's his ritual when he kills someone. We spent this whole season teaching Dexter that that was all bullshit he didn't need to do.What an asshole.

Also, there was no reason for Dexter to euthenize her.As someone who lost a love done to a brain injury a while back, let me tell you how this goes: When the doctor came back with a prognosis as bleak as Deb's (and it must have been pretty bleak, because she died almost fucking instantly as soon as Dex took her off life support), she would have immediately engaged the next of kin in a Very Serious Conversation regarding their options moving forward - one of which would have been to provide Deb with "comfort measures" (a lot of morphine) and take her off life support so the brain damage could take it's course and she could pass away quickly and peacefully. That's right: THE DOCTORS WOULD HAVE DONE IT THEMSELVES. It's not like this was something unlawful that Dexter had to do on the sly. And he was her only living kin - there wasn't even anyone with legal standing to argue the point with him if that's what he wanted to do.But, no, he has to put on his kill suit, sneak in, and pull her off the life support himself, WITHOUT any comfort measures, because.....? I guess so he could steal her body and throw her in the ocean so crabs could tear out her eyeballs.What an asshole.I'm really happy that no one on the writing staff has apparently had a loved one in this situation (because it sucks), but y'all could've at least googled how this stuff works.

This just makes the whole thing even worse. Fuck this show.

Wait, forgot about Roseanne and The Cosby Show. The Cosby Show didn't practically invalidate an entire series though, so I think it's between Roseanne and Dexter. I think Dexter still takes the cake.

The correct answer is "Battlestar Galactica."

Ugh.  Don't remind me.  My wife and I are still back in season 2 of BREAKING BAD.

The good is that I will now get to enjoy it while everyone else is bummed that it's over.  The bad is that it will take forever because my wife keeps begging off because it's too fucking depressing.  But I'm stuck. 

This is a conjugal obligation not to watch ahead.

This is a bullshit excuse!  Watch ahead and keep quiet about it like any reasonable man would.  Then again you have probably written a book's worth of stuff about Dexter over the years and that is decidedly unreasonable.

Just fucking watch it already!

Well I just watched all of Season 8 in the past week. Haven't taken it seriously since the first few episodes of season 5 with Lumen in, downhill from there. Been some great actors in this since then, but just not a total package.

You know the spree Patrick Bateman goes on in American Psycho? Where you're not sure it's even happening, it's so unreal. That is how I thought Dexter should end, with a panic so tense that you don't know how he's going to squirm his way out it, or if if he even will. 

I want to write an essay here about all the plot-holes, logic gaps and characters that didn't get or didn't need a wrap up, but unfortunately I just don't care enough to do that.

Instead I think I'll mainly attribute it to the 16 directors, 19 writers, 26 producers over the last 8 seasons, surprised there weren't more actually, it felt it. 

Or you can blame it on John Lithgow, I mean where do you go after that sort of performance?

• Like 1

Instead I think I'll mainly attribute it to the 16 directors, 19 writers, 26 producers over the last 8 seasons, surprised there weren't more actually, it felt it. 

That's not really an unusual number for a long-running TV show.  In comparison: Seinfeld had 31 producers, 32 writers, and although it's only got 6 directors that's because they had the same two guys direct almost every episode.  

• 3 months later...

So the head of Showtime just revealed that the potential DEXTER spin-off would be centered on....Dexter?

It seems someone finally realized that nobody gave enough of shit about any of the other characters for a spin-off to be viable and that the only way they're going to be able to squeeze any more blood out of this stone is if Michael C. Hall is willing to put on the green henley again.

On the one hand, a DEXTER that's finally free of Miami Metro is an immediately improved DEXTER. But, if we're being honest with ourselves, it would just be all the same old bullshit, all over again.

Do Not Want.

The last seasons of Dexter were far worse than 24. 24 just failed to make sense at times and the writers stopped giving a fuck about continuity. Dexter just failed on all fronts and had the worst series finale of all time. The more I think of that series finale, the more I think the Deb character got off easy by dying in the dumbest fucking way possible.