DVDVR Message Board

Dexter: The Final Season

Petey

I thought the past season was stupid. Hannah's a wanted fugitive and no one notices her in the airport or bus besides that one dude. She kept the same look every time she went out in public? What's gonna stop that dude from going to Argentina to get her, especially moreso that she drugged him to get away? Dexter "dies" and not one of his coworkers/friends ask where is Harrison? If Doakes were alive, he'd have asked, "Where the fuck is Harrison?" The whole taking Deb out of the hospital thing was ridiculous. Is Quinn gonna reunite with Angel's sister now that Deb's dead?

Too many questions left unanswered....They need to make a bonus season finale.

I thought the past season was stupid. Hannah's a wanted fugitive and no one notices her in the airport or bus besides that one dude. She kept the same look every time she went out in public? What's gonna stop that dude from going to Argentina to get her, especially moreso that she drugged him to get away? Dexter "dies" and not one of his coworkers/friends ask where is Harrison? If Doakes were alive, he'd have asked, "Where the fuck is Harrison?" The whole taking Deb out of the hospital thing was ridiculous. Is Quinn gonna reunite with Angel's sister now that Deb's dead?

Too many questions left unanswered....They need to make a bonus season finale.

No, fuck that. They don't need to make any more episodes because they'll just fuck it up even more.

• Like 1

I assume Elway isn't familiar with mass transportation and thought he was on an airplane.  'Cause, otherwise, Elway deciding to ride the bus to Dayton, then arrest Hannah was all kinds of dumb.

DUDE, YOU'RE ON A BUS.  THEY'RE LIKE CARS.  YOU CAN GET OFF AT ANY TIME.

Can we get back to talking about what an asshole Dexter was in the finale? Because he was an asshole.

Who the hell is he to get to decide that Deb is going to just vanish from the hospital and sleep with the fishes instead of getting a proper burial? Seriously. I know the Morgans didn't exactly have a big family or anything, but Deb had fucking friends and loved ones who might have wanted to be able to pay their respects and bury her. In fact, I'd say she damn well would have deserved that, as opposed to decomposing at the bottom of the ocean with a bunch of murderers. But, no, Dexter decides that's how it's going to be, because....why? Don't you dare say because he technically killed her and that's his ritual when he kills someone. We spent this whole season teaching Dexter that that was all bullshit he didn't need to do.

What an asshole.

Also, there was no reason for Dexter to euthenize her.

As someone who lost a love done to a brain injury a while back, let me tell you how this goes: When the doctor came back with a prognosis as bleak as Deb's (and it must have been pretty bleak, because she died almost fucking instantly as soon as Dex took her off life support), she would have immediately engaged the next of kin in a Very Serious Conversation regarding their options moving forward - one of which would have been to provide Deb with "comfort measures" (a lot of morphine) and take her off life support so the brain damage could take it's course and she could pass away quickly and peacefully. That's right: THE DOCTORS WOULD HAVE DONE IT THEMSELVES. It's not like this was something unlawful that Dexter had to do on the sly. And he was her only living kin - there wasn't even anyone with legal standing to argue the point with him if that's what he wanted to do.

But, no, he has to put on his kill suit, sneak in, and pull her off the life support himself, WITHOUT any comfort measures, because.....? I guess so he could steal her body and throw her in the ocean so crabs could tear out her eyeballs.

What an asshole.

I'm really happy that no one on the writing staff has apparently had a loved one in this situation (because it sucks), but y'all could've at least googled how this stuff works.

The fact that over the last three years they somehow wrote themselves into this corner where the "quest" of Dexter was living in Argentina with some woman and his kid tells you just how far they swirled out of control.

When the show started, the "quest' of his character was simply "living in his own skin without causing havoc to the one or two people he cared about" in the face of growing complications from outsiders (his brother, an fbi super-agent, Doakes, La Guerta or Deb finding out about him).

They succesfully expanded this with Rita, with the idea that he let his cover life become too real and his quest became "Living in his own skin while also having a family."  Once that quest failed and resulted in her death, it should have marked the beginning of the end. 

Instead they killed off that momentum and then tried to recycle it after three years of aimless junk in this really arbitrary and forced way by adding this ridiculous woman/murderer/wife/victim/step-mom and then acting as if we should care about this new garden of eden fantasy.  I mean, how absurd is that...Im going to go live with the apparently wealthy poisoner-lady in Argentina in bliss forever walking along the beach...compared to the much more realistic "fantasy" he had with Rita, which was just "I'm going to live in this modest house and raise these kids without fucking it all up somehow"?  How much more real and therefore relatable and moving is that latter storyline than the ridiculous one they ended with?

They also messed up with Deb.  What possible reason was there to making the last two seasons about her dealing with who Dexter is and coming to terms with it and going through all those stages if you're just going to kill her off anyway.  If her final purpose on the show was to die and send Dexter into his final catastrophic tailspin, then her death should have been immediately tied to her finding out about Dexter.  That is the only way to pay that off correctly.  All of the brother-sister love that would have led to those last scenes was already there in seasons 1-4.  To break it down, just to build it back up and then end it that way anyway...

Ugh.  They were in such a good position to make this work...and they went so far off into left field...they worked so hard just to get back to where they were already at the end of season 4 (failed family, failing his sister).  And the worst part is that, unlike a show like BUFFY that also went pretty wrong in its final seasons, but still had a few brilliant episodes worth watching as standalones...I don't think there is a single episode of this show that I would rewatch after season 4.

They ruined the arc of the show and didn't even manage in 50 or so extraneous episodes to add one "must rewatch" to the list (like say "Tabula Rasa" or "Once More With Feeling" or "Lessons" or "Conversations With Dead People" on BUFFY).

decomposing at the bottom of the ocean with a bunch of murderers.

And how did it sink to the bottom of the ocean since there wasn't any weight added to her? While describing the episode to someone, I seemed to be extra annoyed by this element. There were plenty of things to be annoyed by though. Maybe they did it so people wouldn't miss the show? I certainly never want to see it again.

decomposing at the bottom of the ocean with a bunch of murderers.

And how did it sink to the bottom of the ocean since there wasn't any weight added to her? While describing the episode to someone, I seemed to be extra annoyed by this element. There were plenty of things to be annoyed by though. Maybe they did it so people wouldn't miss the show? I certainly never want to see it again.

No air in the lungs for WHY THE FUCK AM I EVEN ANSWERING

LET US INSTEAD REMEMBER THE ONE TRUE HERO OF THIS SHOW, THE ONLY CHARACTER THAT WASN'T A BLIND FOOL, THE ONLY CHARACTER THAT WOULD RAISE HARRISON PROPERLY, THE ONLY CHARACTER THAT DEXTER DIDN'T RUIN WITH HIS SHITTINESS

I'm mostly with you...but I don't think it is established that James Doakes was great father material.

I bet that once you got to where you could look after yourself, Dexter would be pretty flexible.  You could pretty much name your own hours.

Doakes would have you doing calesthenics at sunrise and orienteering on Christmas morning.  You'd probably end up a filthy hippie out of rebellion.  He's be, like, checking your BMI and making you attack weaker kids to learn dominance. 

You know it would suck, dude.  Never mind how tight he would buy all your shirts.  Fuck.

I will sing with the choir.  I know what they were intending to do, but they didn't really go about pulling it off the right way.

The show has never really followed Lindsey's novels, so I am not sure why they just didn't pull the trigger on Deb bringing Dex in.

Once they hit a grand reset button on the last episode of the Lumen season that went HEY GUYS YOU DIDN'T NEED TO WATCH THIS ONE BUT THANK YOU ANYWAY I was pretty done with this show. 

Also, they should have said 'screw it' and pulled the trigger on the Deb/Dexter romantic relationship and just make them a psychotic gross incest murder family. 

I think this is the most insulted a finale has made me feel. Just utter bullshit. Fuck this show with deer antlers. I'm trying to think of TV shows that I've watched the whole way through, not counting ones cancelled in their first and/or second season, and I can't think of anything worse that whatever the hell that was last night. THINK OF HOW MANY FUCKING MINUTES THEY WASTED ON MASUKA AND GIRL FROM LATER FNL SEASONS! WHY?! Were either of them even in the fucking episode last night?

And the shit thing is that I can see there being a Dexter movie at some point because no one on this show has the biggest career and it would be a paycheck.