DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Huh, the Wall Street Journal is reporting that Microsoft is in talks to by Mojang (makers of Minecraft) for $2 billion.  That's definitely unexpected. The price seems on the high side for what's essentially a one-game studio without anything particularly impressive in the pipeline, unless the revenue stream from servers/merchandise is huge.

Can't develop it? Just buy it, it's the Microsoft way.

Between this and Rise of the Tomb Raider holiday exclusivity and Microsoft's seemingly light first-party schedule for 2014 & beyond, Microsoft is in full-on panic mode. Everything they need to do is right there, they just won't do it.

This is the same company that sent someone during Rare's presentation of Banjo-Threeie who spent most of his time ignoring it and fucking around on his cell phone. I want Microsoft to do better than this.

Happy 15th birthday, Dreamcast. The first 'grown up' purchase I made on my own, and one of the most underrated consoles in history.

Biggest console launch ever up to that point and the gaming media still acted like the system was a failure. Of course, it was Sega, so they never landed EA, and some games just flat didn't work with some consoles. And that was that. GREAT system though, with graphics on some games that still hold up 15 years later.

I really think the Dreamcast was the last console that put its complete focus on fun.  Games like Crazy Taxi, Power Stone, and Jet Set Radio were just so damn fun to play.  They lost because all the other consoles tricked us into believing that fun was less important than graphics, marketing, and competing for big name games.  I spent most of the day playing Destiny which is available on the Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, and PS3, yet everyday someone tells you that their Playstation is better than your Xbox or vice versa.  The Dreamcast was the last console that tried to be both a hardcore gaming machine, and a quirky, unique, kinda goofy console.  It's really a shame it didn't catch on, because I would have liked to see what strange, out of the box things they would have tried going forward. 

Huh, the Wall Street Journal is reporting that Microsoft is in talks to by Mojang (makers of Minecraft) for $2 billion. That's definitely unexpected. The price seems on the high side for what's essentially a one-game studio without anything particularly impressive in the pipeline, unless the revenue stream from servers/merchandise is huge.

Between this and Rise of the Tomb Raider holiday exclusivity and Microsoft's seemingly light first-party schedule for 2014 & beyond, Microsoft is in full-on panic mode. Everything they need to do is right there, they just won't do it.

This is the same company that sent someone during Rare's presentation of Banjo-Threeie who spent most of his time ignoring it and fucking around on his cell phone. I want Microsoft to do better than this.

I really don't understand the complaint here. Sony and Nintendo have bought studios and exclusives before. Exclusive games are the best way to sell your console. "Full-on panic mode"? You know, the X-Box One is currently the 2nd fastest selling console is history. Only one console ever has sold more this early in its lifespan. That console is the PS4, of course. Microsoft is in 2nd place, but they aren't striking out here completely. Everything's fine.

Sega is dumb for letting Power Stone, Crazy Taxi, and ChuChu Rocket die essentially. All 3 of those would be huge if they were releasing new, downloadable $15 games in those series on PSN and X-Box Live.

Power Stone isn't Sega's fault. It's a Capcom game. They tried to market the hell out of it, the anime got released here and the second game got a ton of press in places that covered DC games. But it didn't stick, and we haven't seen it since except for the PSP release of the two arcade games (which IIRC had none of the single-player-focused content, what there was of it, in PS2.)

I played part II, it was frustrating since it's clearly meant to be part of a trilogy and that whole last chapter where you walk through the woods and nothing happens is just a bizarre finale.

Rest of the game was okay but I don't want to talk about the quick time events.

Thing I remember enjoying the most was being a street vendor running a plinko game, so I don't know what that says.

• Like 1

I played part II, it was frustrating since it's clearly meant to be part of a trilogy and that whole last chapter where you walk through the woods and nothing happens is just a bizarre finale.

Rest of the game was okay but I don't want to talk about the quick time events.

Thing I remember enjoying the most was being a street vendor running a plinko game, so I don't know what that says.

My friends and I still quote some of the voices from that part of the game at each other. Like we don't say "DAMN" any other way than that one super pissed guy does.

I think I will bring my PS3 to the hotel (where I have been stuck for the past 24 hours) so I can polish off some of my PS3 backlog. How much life does the PS3 have left, and are game still being released on 3 that never see life on the 4?

Microsoft should really hire some guys that made Power Stone to make an all-star mascot fighter for them. Make it a Power Stone clone with Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, Banjo & Kazooie, Johanna Dark, Conker..... Blinx the Timesweeper...

Making it a 3/4 overhead 3D fighter takes away the "Smash Bros clone" stink that sunk Playstation All Stars.

Huh, the Wall Street Journal is reporting that Microsoft is in talks to by Mojang (makers of Minecraft) for $2 billion. That's definitely unexpected. The price seems on the high side for what's essentially a one-game studio without anything particularly impressive in the pipeline, unless the revenue stream from servers/merchandise is huge.

I really don't understand the complaint here. Sony and Nintendo have bought studios and exclusives before. Exclusive games are the best way to sell your console. "Full-on panic mode"? You know, the X-Box One is currently the 2nd fastest selling console is history. Only one console ever has sold more this early in its lifespan. That console is the PS4, of course. Microsoft is in 2nd place, but they aren't striking out here completely. Everything's fine.

Well, my point is look at Sony and their first party studios and look at Microsoft and their first party studios.

Sony seems to be more willing to take risks and you see games like The Order 1886 (Ready At Dawn), Driveclub (Evolution Studios), Bloodborne (FROM Software), Uncharted series and The Last Of Us (Naughty Dog) and Heavy Rain (Quantic Dream). I'm not saying Sony is successful with this -- no, far from it. You have strikeouts like Puppeteer which sadly didn't set sales on fire.

Microsoft doesn't have anything like that or seem to be as willing to take risks. Black Tusk Studios was developing an original IP....just to get that pulled and have to work on another Gears of War. I guess whoever they pitched it to wasn't paying attention and was playing around on his Windows Phone. BigPark Studios is just making XBLA games and Kinect games -- Microsoft could put them on a Xbox One game if they wanted to (and I don't mean JoyRide II). And we all know about Rare Studios.

Hopefully, Quantum Break will sell really well and Scalebound will be a game that Microsoft needs. Microsoft can't just survive on Halo, Forza, and Gears of War forever. Really what Microsoft needs is their "The Last Of Us." I don't just mean a similar setting or storyline, but something unique and new to their identity. People bought a PS3 because of The Last Of Us and that's relatively recent.

Microsoft did indeed sell a lot more and I have high hopes for Sunset Overdrive (if I would buy a Xbox One, it would honestly be for this). But 2015 and beyond....I don't know if Microsoft can continue and not slip. Maybe they should buy Nintendo....seriously.

Ohhhh, ok. Well I agree with all that. I'd love more great first party stuff from Microsoft. But I don't have a problem in the meantime with them buying Mojang (which I guess would then turn them into a first party studio for Microsoft. Even though I don't like Minecraft, that would be what we more asking for, right?) or getting third-party exclusives like Tomb Raider.

I'd cream my pants if they bought Nintendo, but it ain't happening.

Sega is dumb for letting Power Stone, Crazy Taxi, and ChuChu Rocket die essentially. All 3 of those would be huge if they were releasing new, downloadable $15 games in those series on PSN and X-Box Live.

I've really been yearning for an updated Crazy Taxi or a proper port of the original. The other releases seem to be flawed in some way.

Dead Space might be the greatest homage to Resident Evil ever made.  At no point, even when getting killed in the same spot, did I not have fun with this game.  Even the silly ass Religious Zealot shit that didn't come into being til like Chapter 8 or so worked.  

I'd be annoyed at the standard modern horror film shock ending if I didn't know that 2 and 3 existed so it yeah.  Gotta start on 2 now.

• Like 1

An update on my playthrough of Rainbow Moon.  I'm up to roughly 84 hours of game time.  I'm probably in the last third of the game though I can't really say for certain.  I can definitely say I'm long past the time where I'm enjoying the game much as it's strictly just a grind at this point.  I'm committed to that platinum, dammit.  The flaws in the game at this point are just overwhelming - the map system being particularly egregious (the world map doesn't label areas and it can be really tough to find where you need to go).  Also, there's basically no strategy or challenge to the game.  When you enter combat, you're either strong enough or you're not, no maybes.  And since the combat is like 98% of the game...you get the idea.  I will say that the graphics are terrific and the world itself is charming.  There's a great game in here somewhere - hopefully the sequel will give it to us.