DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

Is Universal doing a grand Brewster's Millions experiment to see if you can take priceless IP and turn it into as little return as possible?

Yeah, but when's the last time there was money in Dracula, really? Vampires, sure. But Big Drac, himself? You've gotta go all the way back to the Coppola movie to find a movie based on him that could remotely be considered a hit. And before that, you're going back to the 70's.

Is Universal doing a grand Brewster's Millions experiment to see if you can take priceless IP and turn it into as little return as possible?

Yeah, but when's the last time there was money in Dracula, really? Vampires, sure. But Big Drac, himself? You've gotta go all the way back to the Coppola movie to find a movie based on him that could remotely be considered a hit. And before that, you're going back to the 70's.

Halloween costumes, Jack.

I only have the most vague memories of it.  I actually bought it (and it's sequel that I didn't know existed) on a blu-ray disc awhile back when Echo Bridge dumped a bunch of old miramax/dimension stuff out in cheap packages, but I've never gotten around to popping it in.

In my defense, I think it was only 4 bucks.

I love Matthew Mcconaughey as much as the next guy, but I'm not convinced he's a better actor than Hathaway.

He is. By a long, long, loooooooooong way.

The Wes Craven's Dracula movies are pretty horrible.   That being said, Jonny Lee Miller and Jason Scott Lee played fucking awesome vampire hunter characters that deserved to be in better vampire movies.

I think a proper horror movie based on the life of Vlad the Impaler could be awesome.

When Charlie Hunnam was on the Nerdist podcast, he spoke of trying to get one developed and it did indeed sound awesome. The way he described his life was incredibly fascinating. Fuck all of the Dracula shit, don't even acknowledge it, just do a hardcore Vlad movie that covers his history, his brother's history, and their father's history.

Either of you two jabrones going to actually explain why one actor is better than the other by long long ways?

Well, I haven't claimed either one is better.  I said I'm not convinced one is better than the other, because they are both great.

I think a proper horror movie based on the life of Vlad the Impaler could be awesome.

When Charlie Hunnam was on the Nerdist podcast, he spoke of trying to get one developed and it did indeed sound awesome. The way he described his life was incredibly fascinating. Fuck all of the Dracula shit, don't even acknowledge it, just do a hardcore Vlad movie that covers his history, his brother's history, and their father's history.

I would watch the hell out of that movie. Not enough history movies get made for my taste, and that period of religious wars  is interesting, and i don't know enough about it.  Among the great historical tyrants(not that that's a good thing), Vlad gets overlooked. I'm not sure where the gold chalice thing(supposedly he put one right in the center of town and no one took it, lest they face the consequences) is apocryphal or not(probably is), but holy shit did this guy brutalize his people. . . would make for an interesting movie to say the least. BTW for those that don't know, "dracula" means son of the dragon in romanian(?). . . 

• Like 1

If I've done this right, you can click play it will pick up right where Hunnam starts talking about Vlad's history, which is fucking amazing.

EDIT: Damn, didn't work. Jump to 21:32...

BTW for those that don't know, "dracula" means son of the dragon in romanian(?). . . 

HISTORY LESSON~!

Vlad's notorious nom de guerre is not all that sinister.   It notes his father's membership into Ordo Dracul, a chivalric order of knights created by one of the Holy Roman Emperors.

It is said that Vlad actually hated the sobriquet because it kept him in his father's shadow.  His reign of terror and atrocities are thought of by most scholars as Vlad's way of trying to define his own rule as opposed to the way his father handled things.. 

Vlad II was a pragmatic if not stern ruler but he was notoriously cautious in his dealings with the Ottoman Turks..

His son, not so much.

"Dracula" after much Anglicized bastardization (mostly fueled by Bram Stoker) took on the translation "Son of the Devil," referring to Satan's manifestation as a red dragon in Revelations, the last chapter of the Bible.

I wrote a paper on Vlad Tepes for World History class in college.  I got an A.  I shoulda got an A+.

• Like 4

Either of you two jabrones going to actually explain why one actor is better than the other by long long ways?

well, my explanation goes like this: I am unimpressed with Hathaway's work (admittedly, I have not seen Les Mis).  On the other hand, I am impressed with a lot of Mconahayhayhay's work.  Thus, Matt > Anne

I wrote a paper on Vlad Tepes for World History class in college.  I got an A.  I shoulda got an A+.

Perhaps it was the grammar that held you back ;)

• Like 1

well, my explanation goes like this: I am unimpressed with Hathaway's work (admittedly, I have not seen Les Mis).  On the other hand, I am impressed with a lot of Mconahayhayhay's work.  Thus, Matt > Anne

I just have an irrational dislike for Anne Hathaway. Maybe because she was in The Princess Diaries movie(s) or I thought she came off kinda bitchy during that breakup with some guy years ago (right around the time her and Franco hosted the Oscars IIRC). Since I hate musicals, I just know her from Dark Knight Rises and Brokeback Mountain.