DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Probably so.  It's circumstantial evidence at best and can be rationally explained 100 ways.  Which makes me think the prosecution is struggling to connect the dots in these cases.  They know Hernandez did it, but can't 100% prove it.

On its own is a tattoo that hints at some evil doings in 2012 damning? Maybe not. But combine it with all the other evidence (related to all three murders) and how does it look to a jury?

Everyone says about this case "well, it's all circumstantial"  Like that's a bad thing. Honestly, the overwhelming circumstantial evidence is usually the most convincing. A prosecutor can argue "Well, these witnesses are lying for some reason or other" or "the cops are out to get him" and some could buy it, but how do you reasonably explain stuff like Odin ominously tweeting "NFL" to his sister right before he died, or Hernandez arriving home with a gun five minutes after it happened?

That said, I'm guessing they are leaking all this stuff to TMZ and Deadspin because they want the image of him as a criminal out there to potential jury people. I don't know if they're genuinely unsure they can nail him (although, come on, they have to be pretty confident right now) or are just trying to seal the deal.

I didn't say it all the circumstantial evidence was a bad thing.  I said that by making his tattoos a big story is circumstantial and makes it seem that their case may not hit all its marks.  Obviously, I'm in no position to know for sure.  Either way, Hernandez isn't going to be a free man ever again.

Probably so.  It's circumstantial evidence at best and can be rationally explained 100 ways.  Which makes me think the prosecution is struggling to connect the dots in these cases.  They know Hernandez did it, but can't 100% prove it.

On its own is a tattoo that hints at some evil doings in 2012 damning? Maybe not. But combine it with all the other evidence (related to all three murders) and how does it look to a jury?

Everyone says about this case "well, it's all circumstantial"  Like that's a bad thing. Honestly, the overwhelming circumstantial evidence is usually the most convincing. A prosecutor can argue "Well, these witnesses are lying for some reason or other" or "the cops are out to get him" and some could buy it, but how do you reasonably explain stuff like Odin ominously tweeting "NFL" to his sister right before he died, or Hernandez arriving home with a gun five minutes after it happened?

That said, I'm guessing they are leaking all this stuff to TMZ and Deadspin because they want the image of him as a criminal out there to potential jury people. I don't know if they're genuinely unsure they can nail him (although, come on, they have to be pretty confident right now) or are just trying to seal the deal.

I didn't say it all the circumstantial evidence was a bad thing.  I said that by making his tattoos a big story is circumstantial and makes it seem that their case may not hit all its marks.  Obviously, I'm in no position to know for sure.  Either way, Hernandez isn't going to be a free man ever again.

The biggest smoking gun they have is the car that was rented in his name.  They have evidence of the car at the crime scene.  Evidence of him stopping to get a pack of gum in that car close to the time of the murder.  A chewed piece of gum was found in the car, and he is finished if there is DNA on it.

NFL hired 12 new officials including Ed Hochuli's son.

Of course 4 of those officials (including Shawn Hochuli) are from the Pac 12. So... umm... well now

Also - Scott Green and Ron Winter retired

I will not miss Green at all (he helped blow the call at the end of the Niners/Giants playoff game that I still cant rationally talk about)

And a potentially nuclear-esque lawsuit has been filed against the NFL by 8 players, including Richard Dent and Jim McMahon, alleging that they were doped like racehorses.

This one could get really, really ugly, folks.

Among the claims?  One from Jim McMahon that he broke his neck and was never told so by the NFL or team doctors.  AND that he broke his ankle and was told it was a sprain.

idk. You'd think someone would notice something was wrong if they had a broken neck...

In fact, on an overall scale, NFL players make significantly less than MLB and NBA (and typically have shorter careers, much higher injury risks, AND they don't get guaranteed contracts.)

Aren't there more players on an NFL team than those other sports combined? But really, if you are making even low-level NFL money and can't be set for a while, maybe something is wrong with you. I read somewhere that rookies are making at least $420k in 2014. The rewards out weight the risks. And in this economy, no one wants to hear about how guys who hit each other and are making more than most Americans aren't making enough money.

And a potentially nuclear-esque lawsuit has been filed against the NFL by 8 players, including Richard Dent and Jim McMahon, alleging that they were doped like racehorses.

This one could get really, really ugly, folks.

Among the claims?  One from Jim McMahon that he broke his neck and was never told so by the NFL or team doctors.  AND that he broke his ankle and was told it was a sprain.

idk. You'd think someone would notice something was wrong if they had a broken neck...

"Man that hurts. Like, a lot."

"Don't worry Jimbo, just a stinger. We'll give you a nice shot and it'll all be fine."

Aren't there more players on an NFL team than those other sports combined? But really, if you are making even low-level NFL money and can't be set for a while, maybe something is wrong with you. I read somewhere that rookies are making at least $420k in 2014. The rewards out weight the risks. And in this economy, no one wants to hear about how guys who hit each other and are making more than most Americans aren't making enough money.

In 1980, the average salary of an NFL player was $75K.

Wasn't there a lineman that ended up playing a game with an undiagnosed broken neck in the last two or three years? Then they found it and, of course, that was that.

It sounds familiar but I can't place it.

Anyway I'm just saying as odd as it sounds, apparently it is possible to have a broken neck and not know it.

They're the same guys that mocked Jay Cutler for thinking of his long-term health while at the same time bitching about the owners.

That is a good point. You also have things like a guy having part of his finger amputated rather than miss some games at the start of the season. The whole mentality in football from the top to the bottom needs adjusting. Lose the whole military foundation.

They're the same guys that mocked Jay Cutler for thinking of his long-term health while at the same time bitching about the owners.

It's hilarious when you think about it.  With former Bears players at the forefront of the lawsuit, yet they were calling plays-every-game-with-diabetes Cutler a wuss.  Maybe that wuss won't be a husk of a person when he's 50 by looking out for himself.

• Like 1

The problem I have with this painkiller lawsuit is they are the same 'rub dirt' on it and suck it up guys. So which is it?

That's a fair point.  They mock guys for not being "tough enough" when it turns out that the only reason THEY were tough enough is that they were taking 1000 painkillers a month.

My favorite part is when he says something like "I don't consider myself a failure.  A failure is not getting knocked down.  It's not getting up".  yeah given that everyone has seen you drag her ass out of an elevator maybe that isn't the best analogy to use <_<

But if she actually said that she regrets what she did, then she is even weaker than I thought for staying with him in the first place. 

C'mon, the "Sometimes in life, you will get knocked down" quote from Ray in this story might just be the greatest* quote ever.  How else would YOU describe a night where you KO'ed your (now) wife and dragged her around?

* - that's sarcasm, folks

Question for the group your the NFL you have these three story's to break/continue during a black period in sports journalism (no nba games just baseball and hockey) Irsay, Rice, or Former Players sueing over what ever. Which one would you prefer to have to deal with?

In order:

1.  The Lawsuit:  while it gives the world a look into the dark underbelly that is The Shield , lawyers and money can take care of this.  And the  NFL has plenty of both.  Broke guys going after money via lawsuits isn't new.  And as Jerry said, PR wise, dealing with this is pretty straight-forward.  And really, most fans don't care as long as they can watch the games in peace.

2.  Irsay:  he's always been a mess, but had managed not to self-destruct.  That changed.  You've got a guy with a drug store's worth of pills and $29K in cash driving around high as a kite.  Oh, and his drug pal/jump-off died in a house he gave her.  Not that Irsay had anything to do with her death directly, but still.  It's a scummy situation for an owner to be in.  But being a white male billionaire has its perks, and Irsay will get off fairly light.  Goodell will slap him just enough for appearances' sake, and Irsay will be contrite.  Eventually, people will forget as long as Irsay stays out of the limelight. He's already been to rehab.  And Carlie Irsay is there to pick her dad's slack, so things should run pretty smooth here.

3.  Ray Rice:  at least Irsay can use addiction as an excuse.  That's somewhat explainable. Rice beat his GF/wife--there's no redemption from that.  And Rice did himself no favors with that press conference.  Rice will be suspended, but he'll return to the field at some point.  How will the fans react toward him?  At least Irsay may be forced by Colts executives to have a sobriety coach/babysitter with him at all times.  Who's going to keep Rice from knocking out his wife again?  How does anyone know it won't spill over to their daughter?  And how long has this been going on?  There are way too many variables with this story and Goodell can't really control it beyond supsending Rice.  The Ravens may insist on family counseling/anger management courses, but Rice doesn't seem to be ready to hear the truth. A volatile situation that can go in any direction.

• Like 1

Battered spouse syndrome, unfortunately, is much more acceptable these days for whatever reason. The guy beat the shit out of his woman and looks to be getting off easy by doing the rehab/program bullshit. Sigh, fucking misogynistic culture. Why do people think it's okay to put up with this shit?

Irsay was driving while totally blasted. Is there more that needs to be said? But he's rich and a celebrity, so he is gonna get off easy too. If seemingly a bazillion players in the last decade or so could get off with slaps on the wrist, Irsay is probably bound to sip martinis and stare at 20-somethings in bikinis on a beach somewhere.

A bunch of players from years gone by are hurting physically (and/or possibly financially), someone call the NFL check writers.

Goddamn it, luv me some 'Merika, but two of those three situations represent two of my biggest reasons to empathize with people who say "Fuck America."

• Like 4