DVDVR Message Board

2013-14 NCAAF: Goin' Bowling

Dolfan in NYC

Aw, that's not a fair comparison. Missouri's offense was so gimmicky when Gabbert was there. Everybody should've known his game wasn't going to translate. They used to take shotgun snaps at 8 yards over there.

Ok, I'm about to speak treason, probably insanity, but considering the last two years have seen a 14.5 point underdog win (Louisville over Florida) and this year saw a 17 point underdog win (Central Florida over Baylor).. you know, I'm going to miss the BCS if smaller teams can't get into the big name games (I'm not talking about national semifinal games, cause it'd be foolish to say that UCF deserves that).. but big name, big payday games.

The thing is, the bowls are going to be free to return to their real purpose:  Making rich people richer.

Having a decent season with a large fanbase that is known for traveling well is going to trump having an excellent season with a small fanbase that doesn't travel as well.

Of course, I'm still in favor of a 16 team tournament that includes ever 1-A conference champion and a few at-large teams.

• Like 2

Central Florida has played a great game but I'm still not sure what to think of Blake Bortles on the pro level. I'm getting a Blaine Gabbert vibe... not that I think he's destined to fail just that I wouldn't want to risk a first on him. He should also sit for a while. Don't throw him right in there on a bad team.

Nah, he's nothing like Gabbert, but I think he's gonna be pretty limited in the NFL. He has a decent arm, but there have been times this year where he's needed to fit the ball into tight windows and didn't have the velocity to do it. I'd liken him more to a more athletic Andy Dalton. Give him a superstar WR and a punishing defense, and he can get you to 10/11 wins yearly before bowing out in the first or second round of the playoffs.

I'm sure the draftniks here will be able to fill in the blanks with "arm strength...blah blah...40 shuffle time...blah blah" but I don't understand why McCarron is considered a late second/early third rounder. Granted I haven't watched 50 hours of game tape on all the top guys but I've watched Bortles, Bridgewater, and Carr's Bowl games and I like AJ better than all of them.

AJ got slapped with that "game manager" tag that people treat like it's an insult, but, really, there aren't very many guys in the nation that can effectively be a game manager anywhere, much less against SEC defenses.