DVDVR Message Board

April 2024 Wrestling Talk

I briefly thought Bryan Danielson may return to WWE for a short run with Triple H booking but particularly Trips letting talent work different promotions. See Shinsuke Nakamura and Shayna Baszler. I think he'll stay with AEW as he's helping Tony Khan out behind the scenes according to accounts. Both speak highly of each other.

As far as Triple H and the schedule goes, you have to remember that this is something he's been talking about for decades. His whole thing about leaving WCW for the WWF was that he wasn't getting ringtime in WCW because it was just a TV company, and then when he went to the WWF and started touring and having 5 or more matches per week, that's when he thinks he got better at wrestling. And he's been talking about that ever since it happened. It's not something he's going to budge on, it's a fundamental belief of his.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

As far as Triple H and the schedule goes, you have to remember that this is something he's been talking about for decades. His whole thing about leaving WCW for the WWF was that he wasn't getting ringtime in WCW because it was just a TV company, and then when he went to the WWF and started touring and having 5 or more matches per week, that's when he thinks he got better at wrestling. And he's been talking about that ever since it happened. It's not something he's going to budge on, it's a fundamental belief of his.

When Paul went to WWF, they were also using about a dozen or so people that were not enhancement talent. WCW was still doing house shows and running those marathon tapings doing MONTHS of TV well in advance. Those were already well in effect when he was Terra Ryzing and Jean Paul Levesque. What did he think he was doing...chilling in catering? Now, Eric's priority was to cut down on house shows in 1994. However, they were still doing matches. Both companies would still make guys wrestle no less than twice a taping. Either way, WWE isn't doing that now.

It would be like if my fundamental belief was to use a pager more. Like yeah, that's not a thing anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Triple H being the Al Bundy of Wrestling isn't news.

He literally talks about the DX invasion of Nitro as if it was the night he scored four Touchdowns. Although in a way that implies Al Bundy only scored two Touchdowns, and then they got a two point conversion off of a kickoff return TD.

IT WASN'T A FUCKING TANK YOU LYING GIT.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I have no dog in the fight, but it's not like Ospreay is some rookie. Okada definitely ain't a goddamn rookie. That first brush with the IWGP title was well over 10 years ago, and he (Okada) was already wrestling well before then. If the concern is anything, it's the fact that their bodies have already been through so much. If I was Paul or TK, the first thing I would be doing to putting on a schedule that preserves them so they can be on every notable show we have. Yeah, they might do an occasional TV match. However, based on how a lot of their notable, higher paid talent is treated (especially in WWE), they're getting treated like their special so they can maintain that sense of importance. At some point, guys like Hogan, Warrior, and Savage weren't doing matches on Superstars and Challenge unless it was a big time angle associated with it.

If there isn't going to be large talent turnover or annual cullings post WrestleMania *knock on wood*, then one of the priorities of the new ownership is not running them into the ground. Hence, why they probably don't look at the few non-televised live events they run as something they want to do anyway. Probably view them as antiquated and unnecessary injury risk.

THIS. Ospreay has been wrestling for 12 years and HHH said he was "young in his career". Excuse me? 

It's just the WWE mindset of "X didn't wrestle Vince's '80s-'90s schedule so he's not our type". Incredibly deaf argument. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

Triple H being the Al Bundy of Wrestling isn't news.

What is news is how incongruous that is with the mindset of folks that actually own the company.

They have so much money tied up in talent. The last thing they want is having all the folks getting paid millions to sit at home injured. Availability is going to be essential, especially for two day WrestleManias, Royal Rumble, Summerslam, and the Saudi shows. On one hand, you say everyone wants to work with WWE. Of course, that's what you're suppose to say. No argument from me. However, you cannot say folks don't want to work when (1) your competition has essentially the same schedule and more if you include indy/international shots and (2) every corporation now has based their MO on work life balance even if they're outright lying and don't want you to have proper work life balance. If you had to choose one, the latter would be more important because if someone puts a mic in front of your face, you trot out the approved corporate line especially for current employees. I guarantee there were at least a solid amount of current WWE talent absolutely baffled by that line. You don't say, "well, everyone can't take the grind...glad I didn't hire you.". That's some nonsensical Dana White stuff. And not even more media trained Dana White. Dana White from like fourteen or fifteen years ago.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

(2) every corporation now has based their MO on work life balance even if they're outright lying and don't want you to have proper work life balance

"Team: Just a reminder that the pizza party in the break room is for Smackdown employees only."

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Octopus said:

I’d take a flaming table spot for a lukewarm slice of za.

That Pizza Hut sponsorship coming in handy.

If they REALLY want to go back to old WWF days, they should replace catering with cheap cold cuts and sandwich bread.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I’d take a flaming table spot for a lukewarm slice of za.

Octopus, after watching one Matt Tremont vs Judge Joe Dred match.

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If they REALLY want to go back to old WWF days, they should replace catering with cheap cold cuts and sandwich bread.

Breadsticks instead of kendo sticks?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Octopus, after watching one Matt Tremont vs Judge Joe Dred match.

Nothing makes me hungrier than a brown stained mat. 

I don’t want someone to work here that can’t handle working many dates. Now shove this meat lovers deep dish down your gullet, you pencil necked geek. The Capri Suns are for the veterans, kid. Now change in the hallway with the reality star and the terrified intern.

1 hour ago, Hamhock said:

Breadsticks instead of kendo sticks?

I hope that’s marinara dripping down his forehead. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

"This Sunday at Some Saudi Prince Throwing Away Gobs of Cash King of Summerfest Mania, I am coming for you Seth...

And by the way, nobody out pizzas the Hut!"

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The last thing they want is having all the folks getting paid millions to sit at home injured

Don’t want to steal TK’s gimmick, brother. 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

"This Sunday at Some Saudi Prince Throwing Away Gobs of Cash King of Summerfest Mania, I am coming for you Seth...

And by the way, nobody out pizzas the Hut!"

Just keep feeding Solo Sikoa Pizza Hut and have him go by his middle name, for the Prince!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Don’t want to steal TK’s gimmick, brother. 

WWE has like 900 people on the roster between the main roster and NXT. I guarantee you they have more people sitting at home or catering than AEW. I mean AEW has to jam 150 matches in between Rampage and Collision. And 1/4 of the people who aren't wrestling regularly are following people to the ring. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Slamaniafest

No, that is a Coliseum home video release in 1994 with 5 Mantaur matches on it. I checked.

• Haha 3

Mick Foley has bowed down to common sense and doctor's advice and is now not having a 4th or 5th retirement match.

• Thanks 1

Waiting for the ghost of Lou Thesz to chime in and say he isn't coming back for one more match.

That said, some billionaire whose grandad was a fan back in the day is going have AI Lou Thesz wrestling AI Buddy Rogers. However, they will demand you pay real money for it.

Waiting for the ghost of Lou Thesz to chime in and say he isn't coming back for one more match.

That said, some billionaire whose grandad was a fan back in the day is going have AI Lou Thesz wrestling AI Buddy Rogers. However, they will demand you pay real money for it.

"We can do it the AI easy way or the AI hard way" - AI Lou Thesz

James

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1