DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

1 hour ago, SirSmUgly said:

While I liked the Rude/Warrior trilogy much more than Technico, I do think he's spot on with his assessment of Warrior and Hogan.

My favorite match of the Warrior/Rude trilogy is SummerSlam ‘89. Rude just absolutely bumps his ass off and the crowd is just molten hot.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If I had a choice I'd say Shieky Baby/Slaughter is more important than Slaughter/Patterson. There has to be a Superstar Graham match on the list, right?

You could argue him beating Bruno, but I'd say Koloffs win over Bruno is more important historically. 

That said, Bruno v Pedro could be worth discussing, since it soured Vince Sr on doing face v face matchups. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, onelegbrynn said:

My favorite match of the Warrior/Rude trilogy is SummerSlam ‘89. Rude just absolutely bumps his ass off and the crowd is just molten hot.

I can’t remember which is which, but whatever the second match in the series was, was the best for me.  Warrior had his rare working boots on and never came close to fucking up and killing Rude, which is more than I can say for the other two.  Seeing the third match actually regress was depressing.

30 minutes ago, onelegbrynn said:

It's certainly the best of the trilogy, though unfortunately, it's not the match that Warrior needs at that point because no one thinks Rude is on his level. I wrote something about this match awhile back. I think probably Savage should have been Warrior's feud partner for SummerSlam and not Rude. 

• Like 1

The thing is, Rick Rude was awesome. Rude could have a great match with a plank of wood. If Warrior's "he could have a good match if he wanted" evidence consists entirely of Rick Rude matches, that says nothing for Warrior Warrior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

The thing is, Rick Rude was awesome. Rude could have a great match with a plank of wood. If Warrior's "he could have a good match if he wanted" evidence consists entirely of Rick Rude matches, that says nothing for Warrior Warrior.

Yes!  The fact that he had three matches with Rude and only one was any good is the telling part.  I need to dig through the WWE network thread and find my notes.  Rude was so awesome and Warrior almost killed him at least twice.

• Like 1

The question is what is Warrior's best non-Rude/Savage/Hogan singles match? 

He's got the HTM and HHH squashes, both awesome and hilarious for totally different reasons.

Then, uh, I'm drawing a blank. Nothing from Dallas, nothing else from WWF, and I don't think my upcoming re-watch of Hogan/Warrior at Havoc '98 is going to sway me to thinking that match will be any good. 

What people said about Goldberg back in the day is actually true of Warrior. He's completely, 100% presentation and spectacle. Which works sometimes! Spectacle is not the same as needing smoke-and-mirrors, IMO. Spectacle comes from within, and Warrior was good at spectacle. Warrior/Savage WM VII doesn't work unless Warrior shows that self-doubt and has to consult with the heavens to see if the warrior gods have spurned him. That is the sort of dumb shit that few wrestlers can pull off, but Warrior did it. 

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

He's got the HTM and HHH squashes, both awesome and hilarious for totally different reasons.

Then, uh, I'm drawing a blank. Nothing from Dallas, nothing else from WWF, and I don't think my upcoming re-watch of Hogan/Warrior at Havoc '98 is going to sway me to thinking that match will be any good. 

What people said about Goldberg back in the day is actually true of Warrior. He's completely, 100% presentation and spectacle. Which works sometimes! Spectacle is not the same as needing smoke-and-mirrors, IMO. Spectacle comes from within, and Warrior was good at spectacle. Warrior/Savage WM VII doesn't work unless Warrior shows that self-doubt and has to consult with the heavens to see if the warrior gods have spurned him. That is the sort of dumb shit that few wrestlers can pull off, but Warrior did it. 

The Porkchop Cash squash where Porkchop punches the Intercontinental belt and hurts his hand.

(Which is more due to Porkchop than Warrior, admittedly.)

• Like 3

Ultimate Warrior: The most positive representation of Polytheism in mainstream American media ever.

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

Does that leave the royale rumble match with slaughter?

On 3/23/2024 at 2:38 PM, Technico Support said:

All this but swap Austin/Bret double turn match for Austin/Michaels.  Maybe honorable mention to the screwjob, too.

Also, it’s wild that maybe 97% of the matches mentioned so far are Attitude era and earlier.  Almost nothing WWE did after killing all their competition matters at all, it’s just content.  Some real Ozymandias shit, nothing left to conquer.

So much of the last 20 years runs together, honestly the last real “important” match I can think of is Cena winning the title for the 1st as it’s the start of his era

• Like 3

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

Does that leave the royale rumble match with slaughter?

It does! My argument is that it's a perfectly acceptable match that is memorable for two reasons:

1. The pre-match angle with Sherri trying to seduce Warrior into promising Savage a title shot if Warrior wins.

2. Savage's determination to interfere in the match because he really does sell that he's desperate to get that title shot and will find whatever way he can to get it onto the guy who promised him a shot in Slaughter.

It's secretly an awesome Randy Savage and Sherri performance even though neither of them are actually in the match. 

• Like 1

I agree that Hogan vs Piper was a good match. I don’t remember much wrestling going on there but Hogan was working perfectly as a heel entertainer in that match and Piper was feeding off of it. Let’s be real though alot of it was just the fact that it was Starrcade, which they had managed to put together without the title being on the line. We knew Hogan was going down and we just wanted to see it. The other fans knew it to because Piper’s return was pretty epic, however boring he became later.

I’ll tell you a good match like the matches we’re talking about though. It’s from the same dang show. Luger vs The Giant. Luger could work when he wanted to and so could a young, game Paul Wight. That match was the biggest payoff in the whole NWO vs WCW feud since we didn’t get Sting vs Hogan. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

An update from Ugandan pro wrestling...

would we wanna know what SGW Uganda would book if MJF showed up there?

EDIT: seriously, Lord White sounds like the name of a Kamala heel manager on an indy because you couldn't suit someone up as a fake Kim Chee

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Haha 2

Different African country, but I am surprised there ain't been a King Leopold II type character in wrestling. I guess Colonel DeBeers was the closest. 

That reminds me that I believe Scorsese was once attached to a movie about King Leopold II and that was several years ago. Man, if folks think Killers of the Flower Moon is fucked up....OH BOY.

28 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I remember The Comandant cutting a pretty racist promo on an episode of Shotgun Saturday Night

The only real time I remember him is his debut which was done to complete silence cause 90% of the crowd didn't learn about Apartheid in South Africa or was born after it was ending/ended. He cut a few short promos on Raw and that was pretty much it before Callis replaced him.

However, it's crazy that he was the 1st victim of the "we need you to be able to wrestle even though we hired you to just manage".

• Like 3

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Wasn’t the Commandant just a South African actor that Bret knew and not a worker? 

Yep.

I am still trying to figure out why that group was a thing in the first place when the person who was actually South African and like a legit actor who was suppose to be a mouthpiece lasted only three months. The funny thing is....they never feuded with the black stable cause they were themselves were heels. Couldn't feud with the Puerto Rican group cause they're heels as well. At Gang Warz in Montreal, their match was against the "skinhead" group. I guess it was for control of the White Supremacist sect in wrestling. I dunno.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I guess we should be happy they didn't try to make them babyfaces. 

You say that but DOA was over as babyfaces in a lot of towns. Probably cause of the bikes (which makes the American Badass stuff a couple years later kinda fascinating in hindsight), but they would get cheered whenever they would just randomly fight people. I guess they just happened to be the de facto babyfaces out of those stables.

I know there was an idea that never went into the planning stages where Sable and Austin were suppose to be an item cause their brief interaction got some cheers. However, I wonder when DOA started to get those babyfaces pops briefly if they would have ever done something with DOA being Austin's backup. I am guessing Austin being the ultimate lone wolf would have not made make any sense, but they always gave Austin random tag team partners. Like that one time Billy Gunn tagged with him. 

• Like 2

I think you could have paired Austin with the APA, at least the poker playing, fourth wall breaking door, era of the team. You can certainly believe he would hang out with Ron and John.

• Like 1