DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/21 - 2/27/2024 - Rhythm of My Julia Hart

1 minute ago, GodzillaPerez said:

I've mentioned before that I've seen a beard vs beard match live. It was Cody Deaner vs "The Bearded Dragon" Scotty Turner. Deaner won but refused to cut Turner's beard due to it's gloriousness and asked him to be his tag partner instead. Turner agreed and then retired a few months later meaning they ignored the stipulation for nothing.

Pro wrestling baby

Sucky Americans. Do that in Tijuana (or, god forbid, San Juan) and people would be pitching full cups of piss at the ring, like they should.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Yes, it was. It was... something.

Spoilered for those easily grossed out like myself:

Spoiler

E4lBOehXIAAHYs1?format=jpg&name=small

This is somehow not on the top 10 craziest things Risa has done. Don't know how.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

What, did they shave George Steele? 

-Your first deathmatch was the "human hair deathmatch" from "Risa Sera Produce" (06/24/2015).

Sera: Since there were people in Ice Ribbon who were against the use of Fluorecent lamps, I decided to make a Death Match that only I could make, So I came up with the mentally distressing “Human Hair Deathmatch”. We went to beauty salons all over Tokyo, Saitama and Kanagawa by rent-a-car and collected 6 cardboards boxes worth of hair! After that, we also gathered pollen to put in balloons, we used sandpaper, a board full of lit candles, to make death matches no one ever thought.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Sucky Americans. Do that in Tijuana (or, god forbid, San Juan) and people would be pitching full cups of piss at the ring, like they should.

Canadians so we apologized to them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Things I remember from this week's edition of AEW Dynamite:

Hey another time limit draw, this time between FTR and Cesaroxley. I forget if we're at 3 weeks in a row with matches ending without a winner since I don't recall if Page/Swerve was on the 7th or January 31st. Anyways, interesting idea lately.

Orange Cassidy with some fury as his feud rolls on. Also Jake Hager is freeing himself from Jericho.

Ric Flair is talking to the Bucks

Christian unleashes his micwork on Daniel Garcia

Darby and Sting have a message for the Bucks

Back to back women's matches, where Deonna almost kills her opponent and we get a Deonna/Toni showdown

Wardlow is mad

So the main event is Joe (heel), Swerve (heel going face) and Cage (heel) vs Page (heel), Hook (face) and RVD (face). Well. okay. Was about to comment on the Woo Energy cans lasting 2 hours on the desk before Page put Swerve through the table. Maybe RVD and Hook being the only friends Page can get is part of the story. And after all that, Joe beats RVD.

And we never saw Ric Flair again.

So, a lot of the talent couldn't make it to Tulsa for various reasons?

• Like 1

I missed all but the first 30 minutes.

Deonna Purrazzo managed to injure Madison Rayne or come close to it with a dangerous move she shouldn't ever do again.

I don't buy Daniel Garcia against Christian. I don't really see Christian as a champion or a wrestler either but more of a manager. I thought he was too broken down to wrestle anymore but I guess not.

Orange Cassidy vs Mike Bennett was boring and meander quite a bit as a match. I don't see Orange Cassidy as a champion either, but Tony Khan does, so we get to see it.

Wardlow's rant I thought would lead to a wrestler coming out and splashing cold water on it (Miro would have been perfect there for that). Instead, he rants about how he doesn't have the World title (without the Undisputed Kingdom coming out and asking him what's going on), he leaves, and I felt like it was pointless.

The main event was decent but a mess. Audrey Edwards manages to hog the spotlight when the World champion Samoa Joe is standing there victorious. Didn't see why Joe didn't start yelling at her to get out of the ring, but whatever.

The upper part of the arena was darken and I didn't see that many fans when the camera would cut over to the commentator's side of the arena.

Just now, For Great Justice said:

In this week’s edition of TK Still Lurks, hey that backwards hat does wonders for Wardlow 

The question now is "Did Wardlow shave the head". 

Here you go: Short Takes!

Spoiler

Per usual I missed about the first ten of the open because I was watching the crapulous ending of The House on Sorority Row ('80s version). Mistake. FTR are really, really, really good at those double-teams, aren't they? Anyway this was not as hot as it could have been but still good. The double back suplex from Claudio was so "carny strongman". Ridiculous. Shame to see Butcher is having to moonlight as security to pay the bills, I thought he was a big rock star. 

"YOU WILL GIVE ME WHAT I WANT" in the commercial always reminds me of Big Dave.

Hager as Arnold to Orange's Danny DeVito would be cute. Renee breathlessly reciting all of Orange's history for the past year without a break is A #1, that's why they keep her around, Jack. She's the best. 

Flair should have been wearing house shoes. I bet he skinned that whole sofa in a minute flat to wear its pelt. UPHOLSTERY MAAAAAAAAAAN...

Garcia gets the Christian Treatment. Sting comes out later and cuts a good, sober promo about losing his own dad. Christian definitely should have walked out to the ring during the break after to an enormous chorus of boos, said into the mic "I can't even do it" and walked off. Would have been such a beautiful mind-fuck. 

Billie Starkz has an enhancement talent clone? I missed half of the Purrazzo match but man, poor Madison was wrestling like she was concussed, if that move (DDT?) didn't give her one as is. Toni was about to pull a Roy Orbison tape out of her boot, hand it to Dr. Looser and say "LUTHER... CANDY COLORED CLOWN!"

We now need a Meat Madness Tournament for the All-Beef Superheavyweight Title. Call Calvin Tankman! Get Akebono to be a judge! (Did Don really call Sammy a cuck? Why?)

Main was perfectly fine. I like Hangman a lot more as a guy who just comes in to do his highspots instead of try and string them together for a match. Probably should have been a Parejas Increibles tag to have him and Swerve hating on each other as partners, but the hate was still there in waves. Joseph hit the Flying Refrigerator tope of death, all is right with the world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tonight's card was at the BOK Center in Tulsa. Wrestletix has AEW selling 3124 tickets in a building set up for 3262 seats. I would have called it the "BOCK Center" if I didn't hear them say Bee-Okay.

Anyways, the BOK center seats 17,000 for basketball/hockey, if that gives you any indicator of how much of the building they used. The BOK Center was also where Trump held his first 2020 rally post-COVID outbreak with a "lower than expected" turnout.

But yeah, I'd imagine that only using 1/6th of a building is gonna look a little weird on TV.

24 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

So, a lot of the talent couldn't make it to Tulsa for various reasons?

Ah, so that's why they referenced UWF (Mid-South) and said JR should be there tonight. 

I'm also asking the question, who was injured, otherwise where they at, etc.

21 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Deonna Purrazzo managed to injure Madison Rayne or come close to it with a dangerous move she shouldn't ever do again.

That was all on Madison Rayne. Purrazzo was doing a basic leg sweep/flat liner, and Rayne took it like a DDT. Rayne looked awful the entire match before that too, honestly.  Not sure how she is one of the coaches...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I hope Risa is a heel because taking all that hair away from cancer kids is pretty mean. 

Hey, those kids don't know how to work.

I dunno about being a heel, but she straddles the line of borderline crazy and pro wrestling crazy. Lets see:

- A legit trained voice actress before pro wrestling.

- Has a youtube gaming channel of herself playing Harry Potter games hours on end.

- Hit Rina Yamashita with a huge wheel of light tubes to the point it didn't look real. We're talking some Industrial Lights and Magic CGI.

- With the help of protege Suzu Suzuki, pranked her promotion's Youtube channel content curator/producer by standing in his apartment closet and then delivering the iciest thousand yard serial killer stare when he opened the closet door. Poor guy looked like he was about to go into cardiac arrest. That's going to be nightmare fuel for him for several years.

- Reviewed her own action figure and tested it for authenticity by wearing her death match ring gear (the same attire the figure had) during the review.

- Makes it a point in every match for her promotion Prominence to get color like she's Bobby Jaggers.

- In addition, in several of those matches, lets men much larger than her beat the crap out of her for several minutes.

- Was married to another wrestler named Orca, who in the time since cheated on her allegedly and is now divorced from her. I am thoroughly surprised he is still amongst the living and wasn't chopped into several pieces based on the closet prank. Now that I think about it, he might be in some landfill in Japan. Someone do a wellness check on Mr. Orca.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

That was all on Madison Rayne. Purrazzo was doing a basic leg sweep/flat liner, and Rayne took it like a DDT. Rayne looked awful the entire match before that too, honestly.  Not sure how she is one of the coaches...

Yeah that whole match was sloppy and in slow motion, Rayne was rustier than a Cybertruck after a rainstorm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1