DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

20 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

So AEW got the top 2 weekly shows, best ppv, most charismatic, best technical, best brawler, best flyer, best non-wrestler, best announcer, most improved, best gimmick, featured/signed the best overall, and the promotion of the year is... WWE?

Back in 2012 IMPACT! Won TV Show of the year and TNA won worst promotion. Which begs the question how can the worst promotion have the best TV show?

For a few years in the early 90s, post-Grunge and pre-Nu Metal, Bon Jovi would win everything at the Kerrang reader's poll. Best Band, Best Song, Best Album, Most Attractive Male, Worst Band, Worst Song, Worst Album, Ugliest Male.

It's the nature of reader's polls. They reward visibility over quality.

Anyway:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AxB said:

For a few years in the early 90s, post-Grunge and pre-Nu Metal, Bon Jovi would win everything at the Kerrang reader's poll. Best Band, Best Song, Best Album, Most Attractive Male, Worst Band, Worst Song, Worst Album, Ugliest Male.

It's the nature of reader's polls. They reward visibility over quality.

Anyway:

My theory that whatever this "boom period" comprises of is really about people wanting to go out and do stuff post-pandemic seems to be supported by these numbers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I’d argue that 2023 AEW attendance average is a little skewed but good stats all around for them

I’ve been wondering with ratings meaning less and less these days if live attendance should be more of a barometer again

3 hours ago, WebConn89 said:

Back in 2012 IMPACT! Won TV Show of the year and TNA won worst promotion. Which begs the question how can the worst promotion have the best TV show?

Per Dave's notes on the best show award: Impact did improve significantly after sacking Russo but the biggest factor was 5 different WWE shows splitting the vote (remember this category is not a 1-2-3 one, only a single vote).

18 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

With how AEW has been actually booked over the last few years yet Kahn winning the awards this is incredibly funny to me.

The awards might have meant something somewhat objectively (or as objectively as possible for a thing like wrestling) at one point like star ratings might have. At the moment it's something to point and laugh at. 

I'm not sure what you mean. I know that I like weird, fun matches more than I like figuring out why Jimmy Uso is emoting. If I want to watch pretty people doing bad acting I'll watch that Outer Banks show on netflix. At the end of the day, it's wrestling. Not "facial expressions."

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

I'm not sure what you mean. I know that I like weird, fun matches more than I like figuring out why Jimmy Uso is emoting. If I want to watch pretty people doing bad acting I'll watch that Outer Banks show on netflix. At the end of the day, it's wrestling. Not "facial expressions."

I’d argue facial expressions are a big part of wrestling but I get your point, it’s not your style

On 2/24/2024 at 11:33 AM, S.K.o.S. said:

New wrestling crossword!

I gotta be honest, I don't always get through these without needing to reveal a letter or a word. This time though, whole thing done in 11:53. My best showing yet, I think. 

Thanks for putting these together. Even if I don't always get through them, I try every one.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Just Dave said:

I get that you prefer a different kind of wrestling, but booking is not about if matches are fun and weird. It's how you get to them, through them and what you get out of them. WWE is certainly not perfect at it, but the actual booking is way above what AEW has done.

If you like the kind of wrestling better, that's totally fine. If you want Toni to have an award for that, he deserves something like match scheduler of the year. I'm avoiding matchmaker, because it is too close to booker IMHO. 

• Like 1

Speaking of "Pretty" Tony Khan, has he done something like this with an AEW champ and Fulham like UFC did with Ilia Topuria and Real Madrid? I mean Topuria apparently gained a million plus followers on IG. I know they've went to games with TK as recent as a week or so ago, but I don't remember anything like this. By the way, Topuria is from the country of Georgia and he's getting cheered like that.

6 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I get that you prefer a different kind of wrestling, but booking is not about if matches are fun and weird. It's how you get to them, through them and what you get out of them. WWE is certainly not perfect at it, but the actual booking is way above what AEW has done.

If you like the kind of wrestling better, that's totally fine. If you want Toni to have an award for that, he deserves something like match scheduler of the year. I'm avoiding matchmaker, because it is too close to booker IMHO. 

I guess I just don't agree that every match needs to be "booked" to. Like, big ones do. This Page/Joe/Swerve has been pretty fantastic. I look at it like UFC; there usually is an overlying issue between fighters for big time, main event fights. Sometimes it's a title, sometimes it's a giant pile of money, and sometimes there are personal issues between the fighters. On the undercard, I just assume unless told otherwise that the matchups are just comprised of two guys who want to win their way up to the main event. Not everything has to be built to. Maybe it's a matter of personal preference, but I'm not sure I need to know why Bronson Reed and say, Giovanni Vinci are having a match. You can just say "hey, they're having a match." It's a wrestling show. It's ok to watch the wrestlers wrestle.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Just Dave said:

Maybe it's a matter of personal preference, but I'm not sure I need to know why Bronson Reed and say, Giovanni Vinci are having a match. You can just say "hey, they're having a match." It's a wrestling show. It's ok to watch the wrestlers wrestle.

It is totally fine to watch wrestlers wrestle but every match is better with stakes and let's hope the ranking system gives AEW that feeling. For a long time the impression was that they were trotting out random guys to have random matches that don't really matter because there was no storyline for them

2 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Watching a wrestling match without stakes to it is like watching a preseason sports game. Like yeah, great for the guys to get reps, but ultimately the only thing that ends up mattering is when people get hurt.

I just hope both teams have fun.

• Haha 7

I would posit that all wrestling matches have a stake: whether you win or lose. Even exhibition matches are to show off someone's skill as use as a stake in further matches with either the same or other opponents. But this is me picking nits, because I do that. 

• Like 6

WrestleMania XXXVI was the first two night WrestleMania which got me thinking. If WrestleMania XXXVI - WrestleMania XL was a one night show, which match would have gone on last? Here's my go:

WrestleMania XXXVI: Brock Lesnar vs. Drew McIntyre for the WWE Championship.

WrestleMania XXXVII: Sasha Banks vs. Bianca Belair for the WWE Smackdown Women's Championship.

WrestleMania XXXVIII: Steve Austin vs. Kevin Owens. A rare WrestleMania main event without a world title. The only others: WrestleMania, WrestleMania VIII, WrestleMania XI, WrestleMania XXVI, WrestleMania XXVIII, WrestleMania XXXIII and WrestleMania XXXIX.

WrestleMania XXIX: Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes for the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship.

WrestleMania XL: Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes for the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Watching a wrestling match without stakes to it is like watching a preseason sports game. Like yeah, great for the guys to get reps, but ultimately the only thing that ends up mattering is when people get hurt.

Solution: Everyone gets a title. Have a title belt drawer like the old days. Random people up and down the roster walking around like they've won the J*Crown tournament.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

I call dibs on the British Commonwealth Junior Mid-Heavyweight Title.

Randy Orton, it's really time to follow in your father's footsteps and claim your birthright as Mississippi state heavyweight champion. Not everyone can represent the Magnolia State.

Ok, who forgets they have a title just out floating around and ends up in a rival organization? I mean at this rate, the AEW Welterweight television Brass Knuckles intercontinental title probably ends up on NXT TV in 2029, right? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Randy Orton, it's really time to follow in your father's footsteps and claim your birthright as Mississippi state heavyweight champion. Not everyone can represent the Magnolia State.

Ok, who forgets they have a title just out floating around and ends up in a rival organization? I mean at this rate, the AEW Welterweight television Brass Knuckles intercontinental title probably ends up on NXT TV in 2029, right? 

You'd think there'd be more Brass Knuckles titles these days. Is this because they're banned in Illinois and AEW runs Chicago so frequently? "Hotel Room Soap Covered In Tape Title" just doesn't flow as well or give people excuses to wear kneepads over their jeans along with a free t-shirt from a radio station.

Just now, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

You'd think there'd be more Brass Knuckles titles these days. Is this because they're banned in Illinois and AEW runs Chicago so frequently? "Hotel Room Soap Covered In Tape Title" just doesn't flow as well or give people excuses to wear kneepads over their jeans along with a free t-shirt from a radio station.

Man, there is a right and wrong way to blade. Then, there is Manny Fernandez and Black Bart out there blading ON CAMERA multiple times everytime they get hit. I feel like Mox is ready for that challenge. 

• Like 2

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Man, there is a right and wrong way to blade. Then, there is Manny Fernandez and Black Bart out there blading ON CAMERA multiple times everytime they get hit. I feel like Mox is ready for that challenge. 

And Mox seems like the kind of guy that'd appreciate a free radio station t-shirt too. This is a good call. Book it, Coach.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2