DVDVR Message Board

2024 in Pro Wrestling Podcasts

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

There are certainly podcasts where its getter to pick and choose segments than try and get thru the whole thing. Kudos to those people who time stamp their shows. 

at least cornette uploads his wrestling historian bits to youtube as there own videos 

• Like 1

I sadly go back and forth on Bischoff. One of my issues is when people bring up WCW Creative decisions, he continuously states he wasn’t the booker. But at the same time will say the only thing he had his hand heavily in was the creation and rise of NWO and the Cruiserweight division. Which is a great BSing move to stay above criticism he lays on AEW while still taking credit for the 2 great things WCW did.

I usually enjoy when he gets into the deal making and executive stuff. Same with Jarrett. 

One of the annoying this is when he actively dislikes someone or is getting hotheaded about someone disagreeing with him, he can grandstand and overstate his points. I find his AEW stuff to now be unlistenable. 

• Like 2

I'd love to see Cornette's timestamps

00:00 - 00:05 - intro and discussion of fast food

00:05 - 21:02 - casual racism

21:02 - 45:30 - Anti AEW rant to play to my base (NOTE: includes casual racism, misogyny, and homophobia)

45:30 - 52:10 - political discourse where I swear I'm left-leaning despite 45 minutes of casual racism, misogyny, and homophobia

52:10 - 55:40 - Russo death threat of the week

55:40 - 60:00 - more food talk mixed with casual racism and possibly classism if discussing fast food employees.  Also faux outrage because that's my gimmick

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Octopus said:

I sadly go back and forth on Bischoff. One of my issues is when people bring up WCW Creative decisions, he continuously states he wasn’t the booker. But at the same time will say the only thing he had his hand heavily in was the creation and rise of NWO and the Cruiserweight division. Which is a great BSing move to stay above criticism he lays on AEW while still taking credit for the 2 great things WCW did.

I usually enjoy when he gets into the deal making and executive stuff. Same with Jarrett. 

One of the annoying this is when he actively dislikes someone or is getting hotheaded about someone disagreeing with him, he can grandstand and overstate his points. I find his AEW stuff to now be unlistenable. 

I have been listening to 83 Weeks. For me, though Bischoff is consistently full of shit, especially about himself, I enjoy listening to him twist rhetoric in his used car salesman sort of way to support his arguments. He is good at eliding the point and answering in a way that might make someone who isn't paying attention think that he addressed the original point. It's like the audio version of enjoying a Where's Waldo book, but I'm looking for logical fallacies and elided points rather than skinny dudes in striped sweaters. And wizards.

You are spot on about how he insists that the bad booking stuff is Kevin Sullivan's fault (with a weak "I should have overseen it better" to make himself sound reasonable), but the good booking stuff is to his credit.

I also enjoy hearing Conrad recite some scuttlebutt from Meltzer's WO at the time and then taking in Bischoff's response and trying to figure out how much, if at all, Meltz got worked in his reporting.

• Like 2

Guessing these Samoans were T'eo and Tapu? Watched an episode of UWA from '76 and there's a tagteam called "The Islanders" and one member is referred to as "Islander Afa". So this doesn't cloud the issue whatsoever.
Episode downloaded. I'll listen tomorrow. Loving Podcast Addict so far.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 4:35 PM, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

That was probably mixed in with the casual racism.

As an aside, during my 1995 rewatch for the Raw after WrestleMania, Jim managed to sneak in, "Well it's like my good friend Porkchop Cash said..." And I was like, "what the fuck?!"

First off, the fact that Cornette was out here quoting Porkchop Cash and Vince totally no sold it and didn't say, "Porkchop...wait...you have a friend named Porkchop?" is amazing. Second, if Cornette truncated all the bad shit on his podcast (roughly 75% give or take) for nothing but Porkchop Cash sayings, then count me back in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As an aside, during my 1995 rewatch for the Raw after WrestleMania, Jim managed to sneak in, "Well it's like my good friend Porkchop Cash said..." And I was like, "what the fuck?!"

First off, the fact that Cornette was out here quoting Porkchop Cash and Vince totally no sold it and didn't say, "Porkchop...wait...you have a friend named Porkchop?" is amazing. Second, if Cornette truncated all the bad shit on his podcast (roughly 75% give or take) for nothing but Porkchop Cash sayings, then count me back in.

PORKCHOP CASH

• Like 2

3 hours ago, driver said:

Guessing these Samoans were T'eo and Tapu? Watched an episode of UWA from '76 and there's a tagteam called "The Islanders" and one member is referred to as "Islander Afa". So this doesn't cloud the issue whatsoever.
Episode downloaded. I'll listen tomorrow. Loving Podcast Addict so far.

It's Tapu and another guy. I'm not home to check the book. 

• 3 weeks later...

Cornette's podcast is the only wrestling related pod I listen to,anymore. I'm guessing Brian Last has given up on the 605 Superpodcast, since a new one hasn't been dropped in over a year. A real shame, cause I enjoyed those a lot. I guess we'll never find out the true identity of Yomamba the Jungle Savage.

I used to enjoy Between the Sheets, but Bixenspan is insufferable and just miserable to listen to. Zellner is cool, though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Speaking of which,  yeah Corny got some explaining to do with the latest thumbnail he used to talk about Swerve Strickland 

Even if he had no idea about it or even was complementary to Shane, it REALLY tells what he thinks about his cult that THAT was needed to get your attention 

Without knowing exactly how the process works, I’d think it’s more down to Last or the artist. Although the thumbnails are usually based on the audio. But given his history, most people are not going give JC the benefit of the doubt. 

disclaimer: haven’t heard said audio. I usually don’t listen to the AEW recaps. 

On 4/27/2024 at 8:54 AM, ChrisM said:

I used to enjoy Between the Sheets, but Bixenspan is insufferable and just miserable to listen to. Zellner is cool, though.

In the early days Zellner would joke about how people were surprised Bix was still apart of it because it seemed Bix podcast partnerships didn’t last lond. At times you can tell Kris gets frustrated with Bix from time to time. I’m sure they probably missed out on a lot of good guests because of the enemies Bix makes lol. Zellner is well enough respected for people to tolerate Bix and be apart of it anyway. I’m sure he wishes Bix wasn’t so active the way he is on twitter. It’s still one of my favorite podcasts though because of the format and how good Kris is he seems way more likable, Bix seems to hold them back in certain ways 

• Like 4

A few weeks ago, my friends and I had the pleasure of talking with Ray Lloyd, aka Glacier, about the movie The Unbreakable Bunch that hit select theaters on April 19th.  Ray was extremely nice and just a joy to talk to.  We're hoping to have him back on in a couple of months to talk his experiences in UWFi.  https://spotifyanchor-web.app.link/e/F6GgGi05fJb

• Like 4