DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2024

On 2/27/2024 at 10:57 PM, Curt McGirt said:

The Bouncers On Proving Themselves As A Legitimate Team, The Wrestling  Landscape Creating Opportunity

Brian Milonas! What are these two fatbodies up to now? There isn't any Wiki information past 2017 (which was eight frickin' years ago).

Beer City Bruiser is recently coming back from getting a new hip.

I've been trying to keep up with ROH the best I can. I've liked the Women's TV Title tournament. They're setting up Billie Starks to win so I would be very surprised if she ended up losing at Supercard of Honor.

Eddie Kingston had a great promo this past week for the match with Mark Briscoe. That should be a good fight.

• Like 2

Athena's Elbow Suicida was one hell of a receipt for that stiff elbow earlier from whatever her name was. Could read "OH SHIT!" coming out of the mouth of the guy in front of them, haha. 

Mercedes showing up and Shida getting immediately kicked down to ROH is something else. As Danielson might say, "Fickle!"

• Like 2

Kiera vs. Diamante was a highlight this week.  Evil Uno vs JD Drake was solid. Nice TV title main event with Fletcher defending against Blake Christian. Fletcher vs Big Shotty at Supercard should be fun.

1 hour ago, Kang said:

This will be awesome!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Natural said:

AEW really needs Athena, it's time for her to.

I could her see dropping the women's title at Supercard of Honor, and being "promoted" back up to AEW. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Poignant Mark Briscoe promo:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2rT8E-w2RsE

Watching that video three things immediately came to mind:

1. Holy fuck Mark Briscoe's gonna win the title.

2. Holy fuck I better have tissues for when it gets dusty in the room.

3. Holy fuck I need to see this live.

I was only intending to go to the Dean show and drive home Thursday night.  But I feel a strong need to go to this.

• Like 5

Excellent Athena Squash to open. Holy shit did she beat the ever living shit out of this Nikita. Boom! Shida v Athena is a nice feud for ROH. Lee Johnson promo was weak, but happy to see him get the reps. I don't dislike Lee, but I wonder if letting Shotty spread his wings elsewhere isn't the best play. Johnson v Fletcher needed to be saved for a PPV? Garrison/Karter squash was fine. I sense they'd be better off dropping falls in competitive matches. Karter did look better here than he has. Griff's another guy who would benefit from taking a tour. Maria! Maria! What a boss! Dalton v Comoroto was pretty solid. As MattD said if could've benefitted from a few more minutes, but like what they did with what they had. The Johnny/Dalton storyline has offered some serious wrestlecrap. Hoping they can have an actual really good match to blow if off. Cabana/Cutler squash was mostly fun. A bit of tigentening to this act could produce an actual good team. Andretti/Martins squash was solid. I'd love to see the 6 man tag straps on these guys to defend on the actual ROH show weekly. That'd be neat. I missed DIamante v Kiera. They're both good hands, but... should I go back? Drake v Uno was fine to good at points. Love to see this without the sports entertaining and with some uhh blood. Kyle Fletcher v Blake Christian was fantastic! Really fun. I wish Fletcher would just end his matches with that great looking brainbuster. Blake Christian has an incredible talent to make crowds care about him even if they know nothing about him at the start. The right tag partner could make him far more important to the overall scheme of things. Who do they think is buying Lee Johnson beating Kyle Fletcher for the title? If the play is to get the titles on regularly appearing talent, by all means, find a way to pull the upset. Oh yeah, very solid Mark Briscoe promo. Loved all the Jay cuts. I like to think coming out of this PPV we'll have a roster of Champions that actually appear on the show. Now dear ROH, PLEASE start letting ppl know when the ROH tapings start rather than announcing 730 start time for Dynamite with a half hour of tapings prior. Some worthwhile stuff here between the Briscoe promo, the Athena Squash and the tremendous Fletcher v Christian tv fight. 

• Like 1

Nice to see a Proving Ground match go the limit for a change! Cool set up for a tag title match added to Supercard. 

Really liked Big Shotty vs Nick Comoroto. Was shocked to see there is follow up to that brief bit a month ago with Comoroto and Jacoby Watts which seemed like just a one off thing at the time but I love to see it and hope Comoroto has some kind of angle coming out of it now going forward.

London Lightning vs Evil Uno was solid.  Fun in ring segment setting up the two women's title matches, both should be excellent. Epic sitdown with Mark and Eddie, then a fun trios main event to finish. Final Battle was one of my favorite shows of last year so I'm very much looking forward to Supercard tomorrow.

Final card for Supercard of Honor as of now:

Spoiler

ROH WORLDS HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Eddie Kingston(c) vs. Mark Briscoe

ROH WOMENS CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Athena(c) vs. Hikaru Shida

ROH WOMENS TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Billie Starkz vs. Queen Aminata

ROH TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS MATCH
Undisputed Kingdom (Matt Taven & Mike Bennett)(c) vs. The Infantry (Shawn Dean & Carlie Bravo)

ROH TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Kyle Fletcher(c) vs. Lee Johnson

FIGHT WITHOUT HONOR
Johnny TV (w/ Taya Valkyrie) vs. Dalton Castle

STARDOM SHOWCASE
Mina Shirakawa, Maika, & Mei Seira vs. Tam Nakano, AZM, & Saya Kamitani

ZERO HOUR PRESHOW:
Angelico & Serpentico vs. Cole Karter & Griff Garrison

• Like 1

Really, really hoping the ROH titles start becoming a regular fixture of ROH TV. I'd love to see the TV work as a way of organically building challengers to all the many titles, and then having said title matches on the actual weekly ROH TV show.  

Andretti and Cartwheel feel like the same create a wrestler with palette's switched. I mean just visually. Obviously Cartwheel does more Cartwheels and Andretti does more 1997 Junior Heavyweight offense. I was watching this in the background while doing work but feel like I need to go back at some point for Johnson vs Comoroto. I swear Comoroto, with the changed look, should be the Elite's heater right now, not working some weird proselytizing angle.

• Like 2

Another lackluster ROH on Honorclub. Kingdom v Infantry was fine, but hardly in need of more time or a rematch. Not something I would Pay per a view. Speaking of which Kyle Fletcher promo was going fine til Lee Johnson stunk it up. Lee has little to offer with a microphone. He seems lost more than most. Its hard to imagine any of the local jobbers having less aptitude in front of a mic. Lee v Kyle wouldn't be something I'd go out of my way to see on the weeklies let alone the Supercard. Really weak booking. It's hard to imagine what Kyle says in this promo not to be true. Lee certainly didn't give a reason otherwise. Still part of me does hope Johnson steps up and proves himself worthy. Skimmed Anna Jay v Nikita. Glad to see Anna repping on ROH. She's quietly one of their best prospects. Dalton/Johnny promos were far better than the incredibly weak creative they've been doing week to week. Curious to see the blow-off, but again, not something I'll pay per the view. Comoroto v Johnson was fine. Glad to say I wasn't yet in the crowd when the Toronto faithful decided on a 'Shave your body' chant. Why should he shave his body, Toronto? I wonder if this Lee v Kyle match was booked after Toronto gave a Lee Johnson match some rare heat. I'm wondering if we should blame my hometown for the poor choice of Johnson as challenger to Fletcher's TV title? Carter/Garrison/Serpentico promo where if I'm correct from my skimming thru - Serp tricked them into signing a contract for a match? ROH Creative is really something. Carter and Garrison are terribly lucky to have dodged the cuts. Ffwd passed Nyla v Alexia Nicole. I wonder if somebody like Nyla wouldn't be better off taking an excursion. She's already lost to Athena and the act is more than a bit stale. Jacoby Watts/Comoroto promo was lame. I don't sense Watts has much to offer this program. Skimmed Uno v Lightning. Uno seems to be in late career Hacksaw Duggan mode. Maybe an excursion is needed for the remarkably stale Uno. I had no interest in the Athena/Billie/Amanita/Shida contract signing. Why is Billie still being labeled a 'Minion in Training'? Regardless of my total lack of interest in this segment, I look forward to both title bouts. Kingston/Briscoe sitdown was fantastic, and the best thing on this show by a long, long, long shot. This is a thrilling main event and worthy of Paying per the view. I skimmed Daniels/Sydal/Cartwheel v Red Eye Flights. I like Sydal he's a good hand, but he and Daniels as a unit are very challenging to get excited about. I was interested in seeing how Cartwheel would work with the Flights and Andretti in particular. Cartwheel would be a better challenger to Fletcher than Johnson. This show was pretty shitty. Maybe I ought not watch this carelessly booked show every week. Goddamn Riccaboni rapping Will Smith was the cherry on top of this rotten show.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Sad 1

the Premiere Athletes are back in full with Ari Daivari even. They looked good as a trios here.   Black Taurus is now THE BEAST MORTOS! Great to see him back after loving the Vikingo match at Final Battle, good stuff here with Blake Christian.

Mariah May vs Momo Kohgo was short but awesome to finish out the Zero Hour. Momo's tornado DDT was epic leading in to a great finishing sequence. 

Fletcher vs Big Shotty was an awesome opener! Loved it. Lee got a lot of really good near falls. Finish was killer, great stuff. 

Stardom tag was a blast, absolutely loved all of this. Thought everybody looked great and Mina shines big again, definitely hope we get more Stardom/ROH crossover. 

Tag title match was solid. Finish was a little weak but made storyline sense.  Aminata/Billie was a fantastic match as expected, didn't love the finish but a big fan of both. 

Big pop for a surprise Archer & Suzuki reunion!  Dalton/Johnny was fun.  Thought Athena/Shida ended up really good. 

HUGE pop for GIMME BACK MY BULLETS! for Mark's entrance, amazing. Incredible bloody main event and what a moment for Mark! Not long ago it seemed like it wasn't in the cards anytime soon and now Mark Briscoe is ROH Champ. Excellent.

the ROH PPVs always deliver the goods, this show ruled.

full results Supercard of Honor

Spoiler

ZERO HOUR
*The Premiere Athletes (Ari Daivari, Josh Woods, & Tony Nese) def. Adam Priest, Rhett Titus, & Tony Deppen (8:05) when Nese pinned Deppen

*The Beast Mortos def. Blake Christian (8:40) after a press slam off the ropes

*Cole Karter & Griff Garrison (w/ Maria Kanellis) def. Angelico & Serpentico (8:29) when Karter pinned Serpentico via rollup with tights pulled after taking his mask

*Mariah May def. Momo Kohgo (6:14) after a running knee strike. 

ROH Supercard of Honor - April 5, 2024 from Philadelphia, PA

*Kyle Fletcher(c) def. Lee Johnson (19:43) after the twisting corner brainbuster to RETAIN the ROH TV Championship.

*Mina Shirakawa, Maika, & Mei Seira def. AZM, Saya Kamitani & Tam Nakano (14:20) when Mina pinned Saya. Afterwards, Mariah May joined the winners to celebrate with champagne.

*The Undisputed Kingdom (Matt Taven & Mike Bennett)(c) def. The Infantry (Carlie Bravo & Shawn Dean w/ Trish Adora) (13:51) when Bennett pinned Dean after interference from Wardlow

*Billie Starkz def. Queen Aminata (17:50) via rear naked choke submission after faking an injury to WIN the ROH Women's TV Championship

*Bullet Club Gold (Jay White & The Gunns)(c) def. Lance Archer, Alex Zayne, & Minoru Suzuki (15:30) when Jay pinned Zayne to retain the ROH Trios Championships. After the match, Billy Gunn & The Acclaimed came out for a brawl.

*Dalton Castle def. Johnny TV (w/ Taya Valkyrie) (22:04) after the Bangarana into thumbtacks following interference from Paul Walter Hauser in a Fight Without Honor

*Athena(c) def. Hikaru Shida (22:29) after a second O-Face to RETAIN the ROH Women's Championship

*Mark Briscoe def. Eddie Kingston(c) (24:25) after the J Driller to WIN the ROH Worlds Heavyweight Championship. After the match, Mark's family and members of the locker room came out to celebrate.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 4

I forgot Supercard was tonight and tuned in right before the main event, so I'll have to go back and watch the rest.

Briscoe/Kingston was an MOTYC though. You've got two guys who are near the top of this generation in the "I don't believe this is real but I believe this person" criteria and have a really emotional storyline going into the match. They beat the shit out of eachother, Chicken got color, they didn't do anything too ridiculous and had plenty of FIGHTING SPIRIT telling the story of a guy who never made it to the top and is trying to do his brother proud against the guy who took the long, hard road getting where he is. The match seemed like an actual struggle and even though the outcome was a bit predictable, it was a hell of a ride.

• Like 3

They also replaced the boys.

"SARA KAMITANI" lol. Mina and her unit drank with Mariah May.

Spoiler

Well that's it. Eddie lost the ROH World title to Mark Briscoe. 

He only has the Strong belt left.

• Like 1