DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2024 OFFSEASON

Cobra Commander

19 hours ago, Tabe said:

My guy took a demotion to a different school in the same conference. What a backhand to UCLA, which somehow views itself as a should-be-power in football despite NEVER doing anything in football. 

It's an interesting middle finger from Chip to UCLA. There were rumblings that he was all but fired before the end of the season, and then they didn't (I'm guessing available coaching landscape).  Now, it's even more dire for UCLA because the coaching carousel is all but shut down for the year now. 

• Like 1

UCLA is hiring DeShaun Foster as HC

He literally was hired as the Raiders Running Backs coach last week but instead he returns home

If there’s anything to be learned from Kelly leaving UCLA and Elliott leaving Georgia State, it’s that you should definitely FIRE your fucking coach when you have the chance. Guys are not going to coach out obvious lame duck years anymore. Elliott will now get paid comparable money to be an SEC position coach and not have the stink of “fired G5 coach” next time he wants to go out for a HC job.

Hafley leaving BC was the same deal, too, really.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mister TV said:

In the utterly disgusting but not surprised category, Penn State trustees are meeting in secret to name the field after a chid rape enabler.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/report-group-of-penn-state-trustees-pushing-to-name-football-field-after-joe-paterno/

The inability by a certain subset of the Penn State fan and alumni base to let go of Paterno as their hero is probably fascinating from a psychological perspective, but it's gross from a real world view.

Like, I get his family and maybe some of his former players refusing to admit to themselves that Paterno just didn't care what was happening at his facilities by one of his assistants, but dear God everyone else needed to move past "but Joe won a lot we love him" a long fucking time ago.

• Like 2

So when I heard that the playoff format would be a 5+7 Proposal on this 12 team format, I was completely confused.  After hearing what it is, I am less confused but but still weird as hell.   So it is the 5 highest ranking conference champions and then the 7 highest ranking teams that didn't win are included.  How the seeding of 1-12 is set up I have no idea

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

So when I heard that the playoff format would be a 5+7 Proposal on this 12 team format, I was completely confused.  After hearing what it is, I am less confused but but still weird as hell.   So it is the 5 highest ranking conference champions and then the 7 highest ranking teams that didn't win are included.  How the seeding of 1-12 is set up I have no idea

The 4 highest ranked champs get the top 4 seeds, regardless of where they’re ranked. (So, if the Big 12 champ is ranked 7th but they’re the third highest champs, they’re seeded at 3 regardless of who’s in front of them.)

The fifth highest champ is guaranteed a spot in the field but not a seed, so they could be slotted anywhere from 5-12.

3 hours ago, EVA said:

The 4 highest ranked champs get the top 4 seeds, regardless of where they’re ranked. (So, if the Big 12 champ is ranked 7th but they’re the third highest champs, they’re seeded at 3 regardless of who’s in front of them.)

The fifth highest champ is guaranteed a spot in the field but not a seed, so they could be slotted anywhere from 5-12.

And practically will almost certainly always be 12. It seems highly unlikely a G5 champ will ever be ranked ahead of a P4 champ, and in the unlikely event that does happen, you've gotta figure it'll be a year where a conference all beats up each other and a shock mediocre team wins a tie break and pulls an upset in the conference championship game.

the other question is how are the bowl games figured out.  are they going to take the last 10 or so bowl and rename them for the playoffs?   I mean on one case it would cool if the Pop Tarts Bowl is a first round game but who is going to care about eating a mascot when you are playing for a title.   And there is no way in hell anyone is getting mayo poured on them for advancing 

feels like you could thin the herd for the lower bowl games if the first round playoff games aren't replacing some of the bowls

or some nutjob will try to get bowl games matching up first round losers in a meaningless consolation bowl in Charleston

Edited by Cobra Commander

They really need to do some conference re-naming. Do any of the conferences with numbers in them have a matching number of teams? There are California schools in the Atlantic Coast Conference and Massachusetts is in Mid-America. Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

27 minutes ago, Log said:

They really need to do some conference re-naming. Do any of the conferences with numbers in them have a matching number of teams? There are California schools in the Atlantic Coast Conference and Massachusetts is in Mid-America. Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

The ACC should really change to the All Coast Conference, even though Pitt and Louisville are in states not on the coast, makes more sense than being the Atlantic Coast Conference with schools on the Pacific coast.

I also never understood what the Atlantic 10 never changed to correspond with the number of teams in the conference, why hang onto 10? Atlantic 15 has a nice ring to it.

I mean, I was 11 or 12 (I'm very old now) the last time the Big Ten had 10 teams.

The Big 8 at least had the decency to update it's name when it added four more teams, but now the Big 12 is out here with like 16 teams?!?!?

Edited by Log

To be fair, Amherst is in the left wing of Massachusetts geographically so I’m pretty sure it’s closer to Albany than Boston.

The MAC was closer to the ocean when Temple was a member.

Of course it’s possible UMass might fare better in basketball in the MAC

4 hours ago, Log said:

I mean, I was 11 or 12 (I'm very old now) the last time the Big Ten had 10 teams.

The Big 8 at least had the decency to update it's name when it added four more teams, but now the Big 12 is out here with like 16 teams?!?!?

I think it's consistent branding and all that. The funniest time was when the Big Ten had twelve and the Big 12 had ten.

But none of the conferences have changed their name in several decades except the weird thing where the seven schools that left the Big East bought the name on the way out the door.

(Technically even the Big 8 to Big XII wasn't a name change. Legally on paper both the SWC and the Big 8 folded and the Big XII was a brand new conference.)

• Like 1

Statement from Johnny Manziel

"After careful thought and consideration I will be humbly removing myself from the Heisman trophy ceremony until @ReggieBush gets his trophy back, doesn’t sit right with my morals and values that he can’t be on that stage with us every year. Reggie IS the Heisman trophy. Do the RIGHT thing @NCAA the ball is in your court."

Loving the implication that Arch is such a hardcore gamer that, if he can play as himself in the college football video game, he will care less about playing actual football.

Hilarious that someone in the Manning camp thought this would be a good thing to leak to the press. Just say you wanted more money!