DVDVR Message Board

The Marvels - 11/10/2023

So are we not doing individual threads?  Did today/tomorrow get forgotten?

Just got back from The Marvels.

Spoiler

This is not a Carol movie.  This is FIRMLY a Ms. Marvel movie that happens to have Carol and Monica as major players.  A lot of what drives the plot - such as it is, the plot has as many plot holes as it has jump points - is because of Carol, but the tone is all Kamala and the TV show.  So if that didn't hit you right, this probably isn't going to, either.  But it is really funny and it's *ZANY* as Hell.  Probably the funniest MCU movie since Ragnarok.  I had a good time; it'll probably seem lightweight compared to a lot of other stuff, but I'm good with that.

But really, you're here for the big news.  The Really Big News.  Let's see if double-spoilering will work, because it's justified.

Spoiler

THE X-MEN ARE BACK, BABY~!~!~!~!~!

• Like 4

Hell yes to that spoiler review. Kamala is my favorite superhero so that’s got me stoked.

And as for the spoiler within the spoiler…

Spoiler
Spoiler

C’mon man, it’s just Kelsey Grammar’s Beast. 😝

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

So are we not doing individual threads?  Did today/tomorrow get forgotten?

Just got back from The Marvels.

Reveal hidden contents

Eh, you're right.  Here's the thread.  

This was a fun movie.  I haven’t thought over the plot much, but it felt comic booky, mostly in a good way.  They didn’t try to get too specific in explaining the whys/hows of the plot, which I thought helped. The run time was a good thing.  Since this is the Marvels thread, I don’t think I need a spoiler box to say @Contentious Cwas spot on with the Captain Marvel sequel plot with Ms. Marvel tone.

FWIW, my 9 yr old, who’s only seen Ms Marvel and the Captain Marvel movie as far as the MCU goes, said it’s the best movie she’s ever seen.  It may also be the first time watching a comic movie that she didn’t ever ask “who is that” or “what are they doing,” so she was able to keep up with things.

As for the spoilers, I think I was more excited for the last scene than the post-credit scene, but both were unexpected. 

• Like 3

Wow, I’m pretty sure I disagree with almost every part of that review, but the part I think I disagree with most is needing to see Secret Invasion.  There’s essentially no mention of anything from that show, and arguably the Skrull situation in the movie almost entirely contradicts the situation from Secret Invasion.

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Until I hear from people iknow, I’m content to wait for it to hit D+.

That’s probably a safe bet.  It’s definitely a fun movie, but it’s nothing that you need to go out of your way to see unless you’re a big fan of the Ms. Marvel show.

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Rotten Tomatoes: 61%. Roger Ebert site? 😄

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-marvels-movie-review-2023

The Audience Score is like mid 80%s.

Working graveyard over the weekend and finishing up my shift on Monday morning.  I'll get a health / wellness day off on Tueday, so I will check out a matinee after I mend my body clock.

This was totally charming, and it’s about as narratively neat as possible considering all of the moving parts. There’s a Trekkiness to some of it that I don’t recall seeing quite as much of in the other cosmic movies. I tapped out on Ms. Marvel after a couple of episodes, but Iman Vellani is delightful here.  

I like Nia DaCosta. I’m happy she made a solid movie, and I don’t think anyone’s going to blame her for the box office amidst the strike and all of the Marvel Studios hullabaloo in the media right now. 

The stuff they set up at the end was cool, but it’s kind of like speculating about AEW booking right now where I get fatigued even thinking about what’s next. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 4

Wouldn't call this movie "great", but it was absolutely a lot of fun and very charming.  Iman Vellani as Kamala completely carries the movie, and if everyone else had matched her effort level, the movie would have been better for it. Ms. Marvel was easily my favorite D+ MCU show though, so maybe I'm biased. The cameos definitely worked in setting up other things rather than just being like "oh that person is here".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Wow, I’m pretty sure I disagree with almost every part of that review, but the part I think I disagree with most is needing to see Secret Invasion.  There’s essentially no mention of anything from that show, and arguably the Skrull situation in the movie almost entirely contradicts the situation from Secret Invasion.

Honestly, I think the only thing that is required viewing before seeing this is Wandavision, and even that is kinda pushing it. They do a good job of setting up who Kamala is, but didn't really fill in the blanks for Monica. Also pretty much saw Wandavision though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Honestly, I think the only thing that is required viewing before seeing this is Wandavision, and even that is kinda pushing it. They do a good job of setting up who Kamala is, but didn't really fill in the blanks for Monica. Also pretty much saw Wandavision though.

That reminds me, when Carol and Monica were discussing how Monica got powers, it felt like a perfect moment for an editors’ box saying “As seen in WandaVision ep. 7” or whichever ep it was. 

• Like 3

It was fun. I thought the leads had good chemistry. The action looked good, and Iman Vellani's personality as Ms. Marvel was perfect. That said, the film definitely had some storyline and script issues that kept it from being something more. It glossed over many of its more dramatic and emotional moments. Leaned away from what could've been for some more interesting dramatic moments where Kamala realizes that Carol is a real person and doesn't fit all the ideals she created in her head, along with Kamala also coming to understand that as heroes they sometimes fail and can't save everyone. Those moments were definitely there but jettisoned quickly.

Not to pile on because there are so many people gloating over this film's "failure" right now so much that it disgusts me because I find it distasteful. IMHO the actors and Nia DaCosta were not at fault. I put this mainly on Kevin Feige and Victoria Alonso.

Secret Invasion makes even less sense after watching this film. Watching this film, it's almost like Secret Invasion never happened. What's bad is that Secret Invasion would've made more logical sense if it was set AFTER the events of this film. 

Spoiler

This film actually sets up a proper motivation for the Skrulls anger at humans, Nick Fury, and Captain Marvel.

Once again, if you actually do Secret Invasion, it's not a short standalone miniseries. It's an Avengers level threat with all hands on deck and you need everyone involved. It's another reason why the Skrulls are just problematic characters if you want to use them. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

It was fun. I thought the leads had good chemistry. The action looked good, and Iman Vellani's personality as Ms. Marvel was perfect. That said, the film definitely had some storyline and script issues that kept it from being something more. It glossed over many of its more dramatic and emotional moments. Leaned away from what could've been for some more interesting dramatic moments where Kamala realizes that Carol is a real person and doesn't fit all the ideals she created in her head, along with Kamala also coming to understand that as heroes they sometimes fail and can't save everyone. Those moments were definitely there but jettisoned quickly.

Not to pile on because there are so many people gloating over this film's "failure" right now so much that it disgusts me because I find it distasteful. IMHO the actors and Nia DaCosta were not at fault. I put this mainly on Kevin Feige and Victoria Alonso.

Secret Invasion makes even less sense after watching this film. Watching this film, it's almost like Secret Invasion never happened. What's bad is that Secret Invasion would've made more logical sense if it was set AFTER the events of this film. 

Hide contents

This film actually sets up a proper motivation for the Skrulls anger at humans, Nick Fury, and Captain Marvel.

Once again, if you actually do Secret Invasion, it's not a short standalone miniseries. It's an Avengers level threat with all hands on deck and you need everyone involved. It's another reason why the Skrulls are just problematic characters if you want to use them. 

I was looking for a way to describe the coverage of this film, and you nailed it. Distasteful is definitely the word. It was being called a failure before it ever released and now those same outlets are gloating over their self fulfilling prophecy.  I *do* think it will have some decent word of mouth and finish ok, but it could have an ELEMENTALS type turnaround and still be called a failure.

• Like 3

I watched this over the weekend and enjoyed it enough. 

I, of course, just through my life experience approach this from another POV from the majority of y'all.  So, I need to acknowledge the massive lesbian undertones in the movie.  

There's a weird, unacknowledged tension between Photon and Cap.  The movie like half-glances in that direction when they're having their moment together on the ship.  But in a larger sense, I think the films main issue is the overall tension between those two just in general is mentioned and then... just let go?   Like "I loved you and you just left" and "um, sorry but I was dealing with some shit" just -- I dunno sort of left me flat.  Like that scene could have used another minute or two of them having a true moment of catharsis without Kamala coming into it before it can go anywhere. 

And speaking of which... I know they're presenting it as Kamala being a "fan girl" for Carol.   She is not.   She is *CRUSHING* hard. Again, this is completely unacknowledged, but there's a difference between being a fan, and being in love.  Kamala is *thoroughly* in the latter category. 

Also... yay Beast!  ❤️

• Like 4