DVDVR Message Board

November 2023 Wrestling Talk

currently watching this six man tag that was aired on TV (November 1987 on Worldwide)

Mighty Wilbur, Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson defeated Ivan Koloff, the Warlord (w/ Paul Jones), & Thunderfoot #2 at 10:33 when Wilbur pinned Thunderfoot with the splash; after the bout, Wilbur put Jones in a bearhug until Koloff choked him with his chain, with Wilbur tossing Koloff to the floor; moments later, David Crockett conducted an interview with Wilbur from the apron, with Wilbur saying he wanted to face Koloff at Starrcade

also, watching WWF Superstars of Wrestling from the same weekend and here's a Question and Answer

Q: What will happen to you if you steal something that belongs to Harley Race?

A:

Spoiler

Harley will show up, hit you with your 2x4, and beat you unconscious.

Also the "ramming a 2x4 into Duggan's throat" is a bit more hardcore than you'd expect for 1987 WWF.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

Just went to Google and here’s some basic Sydne Watts info:

She’s a 6 foot tall college basketball player at the US Naval Academy (not sure what sort of obligations the women athletes have at the USNA). She’s the daughter of Erik Watts.

Hopefully she will be able to learn the Oklahoma Stampede as a finishing move.

• Like 2

Just on my way back from Power Struggle in Osaka. It was one of the very best pro wrestling shows I have been to live, both in terms of match quality and atmosphere. My only complaint was it was a.very long show. The Frontier match, featuring Mochizuki's kid, Mochizuki Jr. started at 4:30. Meanwhile, the Japan World Series Tigers vs Orix game started at 6:30. The baseball game was finished before the wrestling show was! I love Hiromu, but I was burned out by the time the semi-main started. Main event 100% brought me back into it, though. It was a GREAT match, certainly for everyone there live. You can hear how hawt the crowd was. Hope the microphones picked that up well. Hope the energy and drama come across watching it on a screen. At the start of the match, the crowd was at least 80% pro-Ospreay, which genuinely surprised me. There were several little Japanese kids who screamed "AWE-SOO-POO-REYYYYY!!!" over and over again for the ENTIRE 40 minute and sixteen seconds. To the point where I was literally laughing out loud. But for the last third of the match the crowd was SOLIDLY behind young Shota. So, to me, that is GREAT crowd work, from both guys. And that table spot was far from the #1 highlight. There was a double cut-off spot that got the greatest double-pop that I have ever been a part of. The trios match was also excellent, in that "everyone slotted into the perfect role" way New Japan sometimes nails. Mox vs  O-Khan made me lose my mind! I ran down to the railing and sat on the floor to watch it.

Spoiler

They battled to a quick DCO, which was legit surprising. Then they restarted it as a "Falls Count Anywhere in Osaka" match and just brawled through the crowd, doing a full lap of the floor while the crowd went NUTS.    

OK. Home now. What else? 

Naito gets so much more love than Sanada, in Osaka. It is funny in a kind of cruel way. Even Tsuji gets WAY more love than the champ.

Mochizuki Junior looks like a blonde Japanese Hook-style dangerous cutie and...

Spoiler

He kicks REAL HARD 😮

There were a TON of cool and good things set up for Wrestle Kingdom. The best of which was an AEW favourite doing a video to challenge Okada after which the crowd...

Spoiler

Did a HUGE. "YES! YES! YES!" chant! !!

But... THE ATMOSPHERE was even better.

It was my friend - who, a few years back, got me to pull my head out of my ass w/r/t Kenny & The Bucks & Modern New Japan, thus opening the door for me to get right into early AEW - who got me the ticket. More specifically, his new girlfriend got three tickets and suggested he invite me. She is really nice! My good friend has a really nice girlfriend who likes wrestling! I am happy for him. Also, I am happy for her because he is a great guy.

On the train there I saw a guy around my age wearing a Desperado t-shirt. We got to talking. Ended up walking to the arena together and drinking beer outside the venue together, while waiting for my friends (and his son) to show up.

I like getting there early. Soak up THE ATMOSPHERE.

SO MANY people wearing New Japan gear. Particularly LIJ, but by no means exclusively. (Almost) Everyone is friendly, because we all have the same weird hobby. 

Best was a very tall and muscular Japanese guy wearing a BCC t-shirt. I said "Nice t-shirt!" at the same time he said " Nice jacket! " while pointing at my AEW hoodie. We laughed and fist bumped.

Also met up with an internet friend of a friend who is touring Japan. We went for yakitori after the show.

Pretty good day.

yPCZB2k.jpg

That's Kazu, the nice guy from the train.

(I'll post a buncha pictures now)

Zwvp5yy.jpg

By showtime, Edion Arena/Furitsu was PACKED. It was a GREAT crowd, even by Osaka standards. Reacted to EVERYTHING for FIVE HOURS.

MTYHnOn.jpg

Friend of a friend. So, basically, a friend.

t8EIuim.jpg

IC9OCpc.jpg

LXuvOfB.jpg

Losing my mind during Mox vs O-Khan

juIuJ6e.jpg

Mochizuku Junior. He seems like a super nice young man. One of his tag partners was dressed like a Machine. Like Super Strong Machine, I mean.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

Just on my way back from Power Struggle in Osaka. It was one of the very best pro wrestling shows I have been to live, both in terms of match quality and atmosphere. My only complaint was it was a.very long show. The Frontier match, featuring Mochizuki's kid, Mochizuki Jr. started at 4:30. Meanwhile, the Japan World Series Tigers vs Orix game started at 6:30. The baseball game was finished before the wrestling show was! I love Hiromu, but I was burned out by the time the semi-main started. Main event 100% brought me back into it, though. It was a GREAT match, certainly for everyone there live. You can hear how hawt the crowd was. Hope the microphones picked that up well. Hope the energy and drama come across watching it on a screen. At the start of the match, the crowd was at least 80% pro-Ospreay, which genuinely surprised me. There were several little Japanese kids who screamed "AWE-SOO-POO-REYYYYY!!!" over and over again for the ENTIRE 40 minute and sixteen seconds. To the point where I was literally laughing out loud. But for the last third of the match the crowd was SOLIDLY behind young Shota. So, to me, that is GREAT crowd work, from both guys. And that table spot was far from the #1 highlight. There was a double cut-off spot that got the greatest double-pop that I have ever been a part of. The trios match was also excellent, in that "everyone slotted into the perfect role" way New Japan sometimes nails. Mox vs  O-Khan made me lose my mind! I ran down to the railing and sat on the floor to watch it.

Reveal hidden contents

They battled to a quick DCO, which was legit surprising. Then they restarted it as a "Falls Count Anywhere in Osaka" match and just brawled through the crowd, doing a full lap of the floor while the crowd went NUTS.    

OK. Home now. What else? 

Naito gets so much more love than Sanada, in Osaka. It is funny in a kind of cruel way. Even Tsuji gets WAY more love than the champ.

Mochizuki Junior looks like a blonde Japanese Hook-style dangerous cutie and...

Reveal hidden contents

He kicks REAL HARD 😮

There were a TON of cool and good things set up for Wrestle Kingdom. The best of which was an AEW favourite doing a video to challenge Okada after which the crowd...

Reveal hidden contents

Did a HUGE. "YES! YES! YES!" chant! !!

But... THE ATMOSPHERE was even better.

It was my friend - who, a few years back, got me to pull my head out of my ass w/r/t Kenny & The Bucks & Modern New Japan opening the door for me to get right into early AEW - who got me the ticket. More specifically, his new girlfriend got three tickets and suggested he invite me. She is really nice! My good friend has a really nice girlfriend who likes wrestling! I am happy for him. Also, I am happy for her because he is a great guy.

On the train there I saw a guy around my age wearing a Desperado t-shirt. We got to talking. Ended up walking to the arena together and drinking beer outside the venue together, while waiting for my friends (and his son) to show up.

I like getting there early. Soak up THE ATMOSPHERE.

SO MANY people wearing New Japan gear. Particularly LIJ, but by no means exclusively. (Almost) Everyone is friendly, because we all have the same weird hobby. 

Best was a very tall and muscular Japanese guy wearing a BCC t-shirt. I said "Nice t-shirt!" at the same time he said " Nice jacket! " while pointing at my AEW hoodie. We laughed and fist bumped.

Also met up with an internet friend of a friend who is touring Japan. We went for yakitori after the show.

Pretty good day.

yPCZB2k.jpg

That's Kazu, the nice guy from the train.

(I'll post a buncha pictures now)

Zwvp5yy.jpg

By showtime, Edion Arena/Furitsu was PACKED. It was a GREAT crowd, even by Osaka standards. Reacted to EVERYTHING for FIVE HOURS.

MTYHnOn.jpg

Friend of a friend. Now, a friend.

t8EIuim.jpg

IC9OCpc.jpg

LXuvOfB.jpg

Losing my mind during Mox vs O-Khan

juIuJ6e.jpg

Mochizuku Junior. He seems like a super nice young man. One of his tag partners was dressed like a Machine. Like Super Strong Machine, I mean.

Cool finding out you attended NJPW Power Struggle 2023. Thank you for sharing, my friend.

Spoiler

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JxzljTb3OT0

Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada 2 at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18! The first match at AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2023 was hampered by Bryan Danielson badly breaking his arm and the seizure sell to buy time. It was still a great match. Hopefully Danielson gets through this one without injury. Danielson tapped Okada out, it's only the second time in 11 years that's happened since Okada returned from excursion as the Rainmaker at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 6. Shinsuke Nakamura was the first. Even Zack Sabre Jr was never permitted to submit Kazuchika Okada and Submission Master is his gimmick, it's in his old entrance video. I'm sure the rematch will surpass the original.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

Gunther news, c&p from f4wonline.com:

"For the next six months, WWE Intercontinental Champion Gunther will only be allowed to wrestle in the United States.

Krone, Austria's largest newspaper, published a story on Gunther this week after speaking with him on WWE's tour of Germany. It was noted that Gunther isn't allowed to leave the US for the next six months due to strict residency regulations. Gunther was born in Austria and now resides in Orlando, Florida."

57 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I’m sure the WWE has tried to get tall women wrestlers to perform dropkicks with varying degrees of success

Lets compromise: She does the STF AND starts yazuka kicking people. She's Masa Chono.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

He apparently is Hirata's son. I haven't watched DG in years. How do Strong Machine J & Mochizuki Jr compare to their fathers?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Just went to Google and here’s some basic Sydne Watts info:

She’s a 6 foot tall college basketball player at the US Naval Academy (not sure what sort of obligations the women athletes have at the USNA). She’s the daughter of Erik Watts.

Hopefully she will be able to learn the Oklahoma Stampede as a finishing move.

Does Chad Fortune have a daughter? Prepare for Tekno Team 3000!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This short interview mentioning her time at the summer camp mentions that her godfather was also in the industry so I wonder which wrestler was the godfather for at least one of Erik Watts children (I don’t know if there’s a limit for how many children you can be a godfather for)

51 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

According to Alexa Bliss dropkicks aren't very popular for women because they apparently have a tendency to make them pee themselves...

How does that work? Is this really a thing? Just seems weird since the entire joshi scene has never really had an issue with dropkicks.

• Like 1