DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK EIGHT

Dolfan in NYC

I like how ESPN had an article about Will Levis throwing 4 TD passes in his debut...

And one of the other guys who did that was Mariota, for the Titans.  Gonna work out great!

Chiefs are really out there playing like defending SB champs, too.

Edited by Contentious C

Knowing the rest of the AFC, the Chiefs will probably still limp into the SB again, because the Bills will spaz out, the Ravens will fail to score points, the Jags will turn it over or forget how to stop anyone on defense, and Miami will play the worst game of their season in the playoffs, because the NFL is rigged swingy that way.

• Like 1

I was so mad and frustrated at the end of The Giants game I had to turn football off and play some XBox. Scrolling through here and not seeing it mentioned here either boggles my mind.

On the snap where The Jets spiked it before kicking the tying field goal, The Jets center illegally spotted the ball himself. The receiver ran the ball to him, he spotted it, the ref was sprinting in to pick it up but didn't get a chance to because they snapped it. And it was allowed. Even more infuriating I seem to be the only person in the entire country that noticed. Not a single player, coach, ref, nor commentator has mentioned it. I almost feel like I'm living in an alternate universe.

As we know from the Dak playoff botch, the ref has to spot the ball. And that didn't happen. The time should have run out and that kick shouldn't have happened. The Giants didn't deserve to win. And they have no shot of the playoffs even with a win today. But what the fuck are there rules for if we're only going to follow them randomly?

Outside of that abysmal officiating, I feel like Daboll going for the FG was a mistake. It was 4th and 1 on the 20. Surely Barkley can pick you up one yard. And even still, the ball is 15 yards further back than if you miss the kick. And with how bad Gano missed the one earlier, I suspected he was gonna miss it again.

Infuriating day of football.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
Anger typos
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I was so mad and frustrated at the end of The Giants game I had to turn football off and play some XBox. Scrolling through here and not seeing it mentioned here either boggles my mind.

On the snap where The Jets spiked it before kicking the tying field goal, The Jets center illegally spotted the ball himself. The receiver ran the ball to him, he spotted it, the ref was sprinting in to pick it up but didn't get a chance to because they snapped it. And it was allowed. Even more infuriating I seem to be the only person in the entire country that noticed. Not a single player, coach, ref, nor commentator has mentioned it. I almost feel like I'm living in an alternate universe.

As we know from the Dak playoff botch, the ref has to spot the ball. And that didn't happen. The time should have run out and that kick shouldn't have happened. The Giants didn't deserve to win. And they have no shot of the playoffs even with a win today. But what the fuck are there rules for if we're only going to follow them randomly?

Outside of that abysmal officiating, I feel like Daboll going for the FG was a mistake. It was 4th and 1 on the 20. Surely Barkley can pick you up one yard. And even still, the ball is 15 yards further back than if you miss the kick. And with how bad Gano missed the one earlier, I suspected he was gonna miss it again.

I will never understand why the NFL doesn't adopt the CFL rule of having an untimed down in situations like that. For starters it takes the heat off of the officials if they are slow in spotting the ball.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

While I understand your frustration, I just went and looked at it and technically it was probably correct, or close enough to correct. The rule is apparently that the referee has to "touch" the ball before it is snapped to confirm the spot, not grab it and spot it himself, and a referee did do a drive-by and touch the ball before it was snapped. If you look closely, the sideline referee had his foot on the field where the spot should be, the other referee did a quick touch, and the sideline referee walked back apparently satisfied. I found a quote from last year from the NFL official that said "Seifert noted that by rule, the ball can't be snapped until an official has touched it to confirm the spot on the field" which technically the referee did touch it. Now, that is assuming the center had it at the right spot and the referee confirmed that on the fly would of course he didn't do.

Normally we wouldn't even notice these things if not for the Dak situation, which was a whole 'nother can of weird worms all being opened at the same time on a national game. But I don't think here they broke any serious rules which is why its not being more talked about.

The big reason the Giants not going for it on 4th down was bad (besides making the Jets have to cover more field if you don’t make it) is Gano is apparently hurt and will need surgery… eventually 

So you sent a kicker you know is hurt out in bad conditions when they have already missed one kick on the day

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The big reason the Giants not going for it on 4th down was bad (besides making the Jets have to cover more field if you don’t make it) is Gano is apparently hurt and will need surgery… eventually 

So you sent a kicker you know is hurt out in bad conditions when they have already missed one kick on the day

Question: If the guy is hurt so bad he's not effective why not sign a kicker who is actually healthy while he gets the surgery he needs?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

While I understand your frustration, I just went and looked at it and technically it was probably correct, or close enough to correct. The rule is apparently that the referee has to "touch" the ball before it is snapped to confirm the spot, not grab it and spot it himself, and a referee did do a drive-by and touch the ball before it was snapped. If you look closely, the sideline referee had his foot on the field where the spot should be, the other referee did a quick touch, and the sideline referee walked back apparently satisfied. I found a quote from last year from the NFL official that said "Seifert noted that by rule, the ball can't be snapped until an official has touched it to confirm the spot on the field" which technically the referee did touch it. Now, that is assuming the center had it at the right spot and the referee confirmed that on the fly would of course he didn't do.

Normally we wouldn't even notice these things if not for the Dak situation, which was a whole 'nother can of weird worms all being opened at the same time on a national game. But I don't think here they broke any serious rules which is why its not being more talked about.

I'll accept that as an answer. That's at least SOME kind of explanation. If what happened in the Dak situation was actually wrong and the ref didn't need to pick the ball up and place it like he did there, then I can see how this drive by would hit the letter of the rule just barely.

I find the inconsistency disingenuous at best. I don't think it's fair or right that The Jets center can spot the ball himself and just get a tap on the ball and all is well. I would feel that way even if The Giants got the lucky break. A player should not be able to place the ball where he thinks it should go. How it happened to Dak is how it should have to work, regardless of the time crunch.