DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 - WEEK NINE

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The rest of tyre story is that the traps weren't supposed to be loaded. One of the players loaded up a trap and stuck it in Traylor's podium. 

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

That answers my "how did the Michigan staff not notice this guy being gone every weekend while he was going to games?" question. 

It feels like, to be anyway, this is going to turn out to be one (or two) rogue people with the rest of the staff not exactly killing themselves to find out where his information and skills came from. 

• Like 2

Either it's on Stallions and he used this to get himself an actual paid job after being a volunteer the last 7 or 8 years.

Or Stallions is a complete idiot that let himself be set up as a perfect fall guy.

(The biggest question is going to be if he was reimbursed for these tickets.)

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Either it's on Stallions and he used this to get himself an actual paid job after being a volunteer the last 7 or 8 years.

Or Stallions is a complete idiot that let himself be set up as a perfect fall guy.

(The biggest question is going to be if he was reimbursed for these tickets.)

Yea that to me is the big question and if they can find out will determine if Michigan gets a slap on the wrist or something more serious. Getting paid 55K a year, either he was being reimbursed by someone (follow the money!) or he was incredibly dedicated to Michigan winning games. I make more than he does but if I drive two hours in my own car for a work trip I put in an expense report for my company to pay me back, he'd be out many thousands of dollars flying around, getting hotels, and getting the tickets.

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea that to me is the big question and if they can find out will determine if Michigan gets a slap on the wrist or something more serious. Getting paid 55K a year, either he was being reimbursed by someone (follow the money!) or he was incredibly dedicated to Michigan winning games. I make more than he does but if I drive two hours in my own car for a work trip I put in an expense report for my company to pay me back, he'd be out many thousands of dollars flying around, getting hotels, and getting the tickets.

Yeah. It's probably a better question if there is proof he was being reimbursed and not getting money under the table from a booster or whatever 

Or, I guess, maybe he comes from a rich family. No idea.

I was waiting to bring it up since it was a... thing... locally last week

James Madison is still undefeated (7-0) - that is a record for a team doing the transition from the FCS to the FBS. They have also beaten six FBS teams which is also a record for a team in year two of the transition.

The entered the AP rankings this week (#25)

Here is the.... thing

They are ineligible for a bowl game because they are in year 2 of the transition from FCS to FBS

And the kicker - they are ineligible for the Sun Belt Conference championship game because Sun Belt by-laws say a team that isn't eligible for a bowl game is ineligible for the championship game.

So right now - the only way the can make a bowl game is if there aren't enough other bowl eligible teams to fill all the bowl spots.

The NCAA already denied JMU's appeal back in April - and in typical NCAA fashion - made it harder for teams to transition from FCS to FBS

Only one of those programs is in danger of missing the postseason this year. Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares, a JMU alumnus, even weighed in on the Dukes' plight, writing a letter last month to NCAA president Charlie Baker, imploring him to allow James Madison to play in a bowl game.

The letter didn't work.

Baker responded to Miyares in a letter on Wednesday, congratulating him on JMU's 6-0 start and writing that the Division I Transformation Committee ordered a review of the FBS membership requirements over the past several months, which led to the "adoption of significantly increased financial aid requirements and an increased fee to reclassify from FCS to FBS." The increased fees will not apply to JMU, according to Baker.

"The Division I Board of Directors and council believe clear standards and timelines for reclassification processes will promote strategic membership growth and allow for a uniform experience for all reclassifying institutions," Baker wrote. "The board and council agreed that if changes to the FCS-to-FBS reclassification process are warranted, these should be handled through legislation that applies to all schools reclassifying from FCS to FBS."

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

James Madison is still undefeated (7-0) - that is a record for a team doing the transition from the FCS to the FBS. They have also beaten six FBS teams which is also a record for a team in year two of the transition.

Here is the.... thing

They are ineligible for a bowl game because they are in year 2 of the transition from FCS to FBS

And the kicker - they are ineligible for the Sun Belt Conference championship game because Sun Belt by-laws say a team that isn't eligible for a bowl game is ineligible for the championship game.

So right now - the only way the can make a bowl game is if there aren't enough other bowl eligible teams to fill all the bowl spots.

The NCAA already denied JMU's appeal back in April - and in typical NCAA fashion - made it harder for teams to transition from FCS to FBS

The Sun Belt's bowl tie in's outside of the New Orleans Bowl are pretty grim, there'a a chance they could end up going to a better bowl if one of the bigger conferences like the ACC don't have enough eligible teams.

In making that stupid joke, I came across a bit of actual news. 

Jimmy Kimmel will no longer be the named sponsor of the LA Bowl.  

Marcus Freeman has a couple sons playing flag football. Their head coach, Tim O'Malley, works for Irish Illustrated. At his press conference Monday, in a truly hilarious moment, turned around after answering a couple questions from O'Malley to ask him questions about his coaching in championship games.

https://youtu.be/fJCxCgYkmqE?si=f6ev--88uXodgXmX

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Marcus Freeman has a couple sons playing flag football. Their head coach, Tim O'Malley, works for Irish Illustrated. At his press conference Monday, in a truly hilarious moment, turned around after answering a couple questions from O'Malley to ask him questions about his coaching in championship games.

https://youtu.be/fJCxCgYkmqE?si=f6ev--88uXodgXmX

Holy cow, a college football coach that comes across as really, really likeable. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. 

My current thoughts on the Michigan scandal: I do not understand how this could possibly both have been so complex (scouting all over the country, including multiple potential playoff opponents) while also being so dumb that this guy bought tickets in his own name.

Like if he had just had his network or whatever buy their own tickets and then sent them the money on venmo, it's entirely possible he/they never get caught. How in the hell is this guy smart enough to have graduated from the Naval Academy, and either been the point man on or have put together himself an elaborate college football spy ring, and yet not know that you don't leave an obvious paper trail.

Unless he's intentionally allowed himself to be positioned as the fall guy.

It's too late now, but we really should've had a separate Conference Carousel thread with the comings and goings of schools (and conferences!)  

Anyway...

Army is going to join the AAC for football only.   This ends their 19 year run as an Independent.  

The only independent FBS schools left are Notre Dame, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. 

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

My current thoughts on the Michigan scandal: I do not understand how this could possibly both have been so complex (scouting all over the country, including multiple potential playoff opponents) while also being so dumb that this guy bought tickets in his own name.

Like if he had just had his network or whatever buy their own tickets and then sent them the money on venmo, it's entirely possible he/they never get caught. How in the hell is this guy smart enough to have graduated from the Naval Academy, and either been the point man on or have put together himself an elaborate college football spy ring, and yet not know that you don't leave an obvious paper trail.

College Football is full of blindly loyal weirdos so can see this goof being a G. Gordan Liddy type and be willing to take the fall. Forgetting to "scout" TCU was also a drastic mistake on their part.

On 10/24/2023 at 11:06 AM, RIPPA said:

Here is the.... thing

Jacksonville State is in a similar situation... they can go to 7-2 with a win over FIU tonight and there's a realistic chance they could finish with 10 wins (yes, that includes their game with the other Gamecocks next week), but they're in their first transition season so they will stay home come bowl season barring a lack of eligible teams.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that SEC Shorts' dramatization of how this went down is 100% correct.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Army is going to join the AAC for football only.   This ends their 19 year run as an Independent.  

The only independent FBS schools left are Notre Dame, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. 

Interesting little tidbit

The Army/Navy game will remain in place and will be played as a non-conference game between the two schools despite now both being in the AAC

So if they two schools somehow ended up in the AAC championship game - they would play on back to back weeks

Army (like Navy) will also keeps its yearly game against Air Force