DVDVR Message Board

No Mercy XIV - 9/30/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Live from... ugh... Bakersfield.   NXT presents No Mercy!  

THE CARD~

FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Carmelo Hayes (c) vs. Ilja Dragunov

EXTREME RULES MATCH FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Becky Lynch (c) vs. Tiffany Straton

FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP (with Special Guest Referee Dragon Lee)- "Dirty" Dominick Mysterio (c) vs. Trick Williams 

FOR THE HERITAGE CUP - Noam Dar (c) vs. Butch

FATAL FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE NXT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The Family (Lorenzo / D'Angelo, c) vs. OTM (Nina / Price) vs. The Creeds (Julius / Brutus) vs. Los Lotharios (Carrillo / Garza)

Bron Breakker vs. Baron Corbin

Kelani Jordan vs. Blair Davenport

It's Kelani Jordan, but that's not the point. She's recently been featured as Dana Brooke's sorta protege but with Dana getting FE'ed I assume they're throwing this match out to further the Blair/GiGi feud since Blair jumped GiGi this week like an Akuma Raging Demon attack.

• Like 2

Blair/Kelani was such a random match to throw together on the pre-show, but I could easily see why they did the second it began. That was an excellent showcase for Jordan and a good one for Blair. It had no right being as good as it was and you could tell how impressed the crowd was with all of it. Its well worth checking out. If Kelani can find a decent character she will be set be it in WWE or anywhere else.

Bron/Corbin really over delivered and was easily the best Corbin match in years. Just a good mix of brawling and bomb dropping with Bron looking like a badass throughout. I kind of like that Stone got a bit of revenge for Wagner at end.

Dom/Trick was pretty solid with some nice action and general face/heel dynamics. I do wish they toned down the overbooking since it was such a big victory for Trick. It didn't bring the match down much, but it could have been an even better moment for Trick when he won. Still Trick sis over enough the crowd reacted big when the 3 count was finished. I'm sad to see Dom's reign end, but Trick was the perfect choice to end it.

Tony's injury brought an interested crowd down, but they did a solid job dragging them back in. And they fully recovered when tony came back out even if he was limping the whole time. Fun match despite the injury.

Butch/Dar was good. The falls were mostly well done, and it was nice to see a title match finally go the full six rounds. The finish was alright in theory,but probably would have worked better if two earlier matches didn't involve hijinks as well.

Melo/Ilja II was fucking fantastic. Loved Hayes having to eat Ilja's intensity and drag up his own to match. Loved Ilja having to go deep to finally get the pin. The shock at Hayes kicking out of the first murder forearm was perfect as everyone bought it as the finish. Would have loved to see Melo continue on, but Ilja was a great choice to finally drop the belt to. Will be interesting to see what comes next for both.

Tiffany/Becky was another good match between the two with Stratton getting in plenty of great moments to showcase and taking some crazy bumps. Other than the hilariously bad barbie dolls moment this was damn good. I can see why they went the route of Extreme Rules as I think they would have had a hard time following Melo/Ilja under normal circumstances even as good as they are.

Another good-great Takeover overall with everything being worth a catch. Melo/Ilja II was MOTN, but the women, Corbin/Bron, & Butch/Dar all delivered. Tag titles match and Trick/Dom were both really fun despite their weaker moments.

• Like 3

I haven't watched a full NXT show in years before tonight and this show delivered in a big bad way. There was some stuff that made me roll my eyes, but overall it was a great show. Dom vs. Trick was a personal favorite because Dom has become an amazing performer, and Melo vs. Dragunov was fucking great.

• Like 4

Another MOTYC between Carmello Hayes vs. Ilja Dragunov with the right result, Dragunov the new NXT Champion. Think I might have preferred their match at The Great American Bash. Really good match in Becky Lynch vs. Tiffany Straton. Wanted Dominik Mysterio to retain and stay NXT North American Champion for longer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This was a fantastic show pretty well top to bottom. Dragunov/Hayes was the new generation epic main event style and it delivered. LOVED Dar vs Butch and Dom/Trick. 

Really not a miss on this show with everything pretty well making sense. 

LETS GOOOOOO NXT!! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

I only got a chance to see the main event and came away very impressed by Tiffany Stratton, which was the first time I'd seen her. She absolutely does not wrestle like someone who's only been doing this for a couple of years.

She has always shown a good bit of talent and potential, but she really hit next level in these matches with Becky. You should check out the first one from NXT tv and her matches with Thea hail and Lyra Valkyria if you have the chance.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 7:39 PM, Eivion said:

She has always shown a good bit of talent and potential, but she really hit next level in these matches with Becky. You should check out the first one from NXT tv and her matches with Thea hail and Lyra Valkyria if you have the chance.

Lights Out match with Wendy Choo was a lot of fun as well.

• Thanks 1