DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK THREE

Dolfan in NYC

48 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Was reading a Defector article on the RB's grievance and it had a link to Chubb's injury(no, i'm not posting it-I like it here thank you very much), but his career is probably over. . . 

That sucks,  I'm actively not trying to see the injury. Chubb is my favorite Browns player since Eric Metcalf, and I hate that this shit happened to him. Thankfully he's one of the few running backs who got a big 2nd contract,  but he's the Browns entire offense.  I hope this isn't the end,  because he's absolutely a hall of fame talent who was well in his way to living up to that potential. 

It's why I hate the don't pay running backs talking points. A great back can carry your entire offense,  especially if you don't have a top tier quarterback. I don't think you should ask someone to carry the load for your team and just discard them when the bills come due. It's bullshit, but capitalism.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

As a reminder - there are two MNF games again this week

ABC says they're adding 10 MNF games to offset effects of the writers strike. So 2 games per week looks to be the new norm. 

5 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Was reading a Defector article on the RB's grievance and it had a link to Chubb's injury(no, i'm not posting it-I like it here thank you very much), but his career is probably over. . . 

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

That sucks,  I'm actively not trying to see the injury. Chubb is my favorite Browns player since Eric Metcalf, and I hate that this shit happened to him. Thankfully he's one of the few running backs who got a big 2nd contract,  but he's the Browns entire offense.  I hope this isn't the end,  because he's absolutely a hall of fame talent who was well in his way to living up to that potential. 

It's why I hate the don't pay running backs talking points. A great back can carry your entire offense,  especially if you don't have a top tier quarterback. I don't think you should ask someone to carry the load for your team and just discard them when the bills come due. It's bullshit, but capitalism.

Things I read about it (I'm definitely not watching it either) suggested Marcus Lattimore levels of bad (for my money the worst of those injuries I ever saw and the one that turned me from rubberneck-at-the-car-crash to squeamish).  And it was the same knee that got obliterated in college; he was fortunate to be able to come back from it, then.  He's probably done, which really fucking sucks.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

ABC says they're adding 10 MNF games to offset effects of the writers strike. So 2 games per week looks to be the new norm. 

It’s not the new norm. The ten they’re adding are the weeks that we’re scheduled for only ESPN. So the games will just be simulcast.

In order to do what you’re suggesting the players union would have to give their approval and that’s not something you can change two weeks into the season.

And it's the same knee that he dislocated and tore his PCL, MCL, and ACL in 2015 when he was in college.

There's been some speculation already that it's going to take two surgeries just to repair the damage.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LF2 said:

It’s not the new norm. The ten they’re adding are the weeks that we’re scheduled for only ESPN. So the games will just be simulcast.

In order to do what you’re suggesting the players union would have to give their approval and that’s not something you can change two weeks into the season.

The NFL moves games around all the time so I figured that's what was happening here. Thanks for the correction. 

Why yes... that WAS the Jaws theme you heard emanating from Soldier Field...

The "Alan Williams situation" he refers to is that Chicago's DC is on leave from the team, is possibly AWOL, and something may be up that will ensure he never returns...

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Why yes... that WAS the Jaws theme you heard emanating from Soldier Field...

The "Alan Williams situation" he refers to is that Chicago's DC is on leave from the team, is possibly AWOL, and something may be up that will ensure he never returns...

There are plenty of teams that aren't very good,  but for most of them I can at least point at something that they're trying to do and understand why they're trying to do it. The Bears look like the only explanation for anything they do is that everyone involved is just bad. You can't evaluate what they are doing because it seems like no one is actually good enough to accomplish anything so you can't even see what they're attempting to do. That sucks,  because they have a few talented players,  but they don't have any opportunity to show that talent. Football malpractice. For instance,  Justin Fields is a pretty flawed quarterback, but he should be viable in the run game. They've called exactly two designed runs this season so far. How does this happen? You have a quarterback who seems completely lost as a passer, but he's shown himself to be a great runner, but they only use him as a passer. Everybody should be fired. You can't tell me any of these people have any idea what they're doing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Okay...  this is going in the other thread because if what I'm seeing is true...  oh man.

• Like 1