DVDVR Message Board

MONEY IN THE BANK XIV - 7/1/2022

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

I have been racking my Brain all day after MITB which Roman title defense did he use the punch in the dick on a kickout. I want to say Balor but not sure I think it was a Smackdown title defense. 

At a minimum, Jey at Clash of Champions, Strowman at Hell in a Cell and Balor at Extreme Rules

• Like 1

The other problem with two top line championships... why wasn't Damian Priest out there when Roman Reigns was out, beaten by Jey Uso? Just have him approach the ring and have Solo get in the way. I know storywise you want to let Jey have his moment, but Priest comes off as the dumbest dumdum there is when things like this happen.

• Like 2

I just can't see WrestleMania at Wembley, the weather is too much of a risk. I know they've done boxing there at a similar time of year but it's one thing for boxing when a most people are just there for the one big fight, it's another for a 5-6 hour WrestleMania.

The finishing stretch to the main event was fun, but the prologue was so bad.  I think I know why Roman matches are so bad.  A) Roman thinks he has a Hogan-esque connection with the crowd and thinks any facial expression will have an effect on the crowd -- He's absolutely wrong on that and I wonder if this coached into him or he's doing it as "part of his character" but it comes across disingenuous and desperate and B) his selling as always is just terrible.  Hell, even his offense looks dumb most of the time (the guillotine, especially in this match). 

except for maybe the spike / spear.  That was fun. 

Thought Women's MITB was better.  Did Logan Paul die?  Was that a shoot Spanish Fly?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

I think the Sola Sikoa splash was an homage to Umaga's vs. John Cena at Royal Rumble 2007 but that was across three tables. That aforementioned match was terrfic.

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

My all time favorite Cena match.

I need to rewatch it but, on the LWP scale, it was a full 5 stars.

Just watched the finish on YT. Cena's selling is brilliant. Umaga is amazing in this role. Estrada does his part. The commentary team are on point. 5 stars all around.

Reveal hidden contents

"Even a monster's gotta breathe!!" - This might be up there with some of JR's best ever work.

Cody and Roman should steal this finish for Mania.

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

One of the best matches of all time, and one of the most underrated. Easily five stars or whatever

I have Cena/Umaga, Royal Rumble 2007 ***** too.

13 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

The finishing stretch to the main event was fun, but the prologue was so bad.  I think I know why Roman matches are so bad.  A) Roman thinks he has a Hogan-esque connection with the crowd and thinks any facial expression will have an effect on the crowd -- He's absolutely wrong on that and I wonder if this coached into him or he's doing it as "part of his character" but it comes across disingenuous and desperate and B) his selling as always is just terrible.  Hell, even his offense looks dumb most of the time (the guillotine, especially in this match). 

except for maybe the spike / spear.  That was fun. 

Thought Women's MITB was better.  Did Logan Paul die?  Was that a shoot Spanish Fly?

I'm honestly a bit surprised by how divisive the main event was. I stayed away from reading any reviews/spoilers and just finished the show this morning and thought the main event was excellent.

I would absolutely hate if every match the WWE did relied so much on outright acting - facial expressions, Roman or the Usos or Paul Heyman practically delivering a promo mid-match - just like I would absolutely hate if every match featured wrestlers getting distracted by the crowd doing football chants and singing songs, but the Bloodline (and Roman's matches specifically) are unique because of those things. I can understand people not liking how slow Roman's matches start, how much he milks things, but its ridiculous to deny that the live crowds are bored by a single second of it. Saying that what Roman is doing is not working is absurd and willfully ignoring the crowd responses. In the match I saw, based on the crowd I heard, he got reactions for everything he did.

I've not been in love with every single match or every single segment the Bloodline have done, but I think they nailed it here and finally delivered a pay-off that they didn't do with Sami or Cody, after a match that had me engaged from beginning to end.

• Like 5

I disagree. The songs were the crowd entertaining themselves. And the crowd were entertaining themselves because the match wasn't entertaining them. Roman got reactions for everything he did because they were forced to wait so long for him to do anything.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 2:15 AM, The Natural said:

I have Cena/Umaga, Royal Rumble 2007 ***** too.

Bring back Armando Estrada as the anti-Heyman that lures away Solo to become the new Samoan BULL-dozer.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Logan Paul on the Spanish Fly spot in the MitB match

I haven't seen it. Don't think I need to after hearing Logan Paul describe it. Man, he's taken so well to wrestling.

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

I haven't seen it. Don't think I need to after hearing Logan Paul describe it. Man, he's taken so well to wrestling.

Both were extraordinarily lucky to come out of it ok. It was a situation where they were kind of damned if they, damned if they don't.

• Thanks 1