DVDVR Message Board

2023 NCAA Basketball Offseason Thread

RIPPA

On 5/12/2023 at 1:29 PM, Pete said:

Interesting move as Western Illinois jumps from the Summit League to the Ohio Valley. Makes sense financially as the OVC footprint is much more snug... and having been to Macomb, I can venture to guess it won't be nearly as much a bitch for the member schools to get there.

Football team is moving from the MVFC to the Ohio Valley as well. They only won four conference games in the last four seasons, so dropping the competition level a little might help. 

45 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

various Coaching News from the last few weeks

Coppin State hired Morgan State assistant (and former Coppin State star) Larry Stewart as their head coach

Incarnate Word hired Central Michigan assistant Shane Helman

Oh man, if I had known cmu had a coach with that name I would've tried everything I could to get people to start calling Sugar Shane Helman.

Since they don't really have a football team I will put this here

George Washington has finally announced what its new nickname is.... The Revolutionaries

I don't know how you trump Commanders as clunkiest name in this town but they did it

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Since they don't really have a football team I will put this here

George Washington has finally announced what its new nickname is.... The Revolutionaries

I don't know how you trump Commanders as clunkiest name in this town but they did it

Trying to think of a team nickname with SIX syllables and drawing a blank. I'm guessing everyone will shorten it to "Revs" and be done with it.

POY Purdue's Zach Edey had withdrawn from the NBA draft and will return to play for the Boilermakers this season

Others who have withdrawn from the draft

• Dillion Mitchell - Texas
  • Coleman Hawkins - Illinois
  • Terrence Shannon Jr. - Illinois
  • Reece Beekman - Virginia
  • Arthur Kaluma - Creighton (though he is entering the portal)
  • Johnell Davis - FAU
  • Alijah Martin - FAU
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bob Huggins terrible 2023 just got a lot worse as he was arrested on a DUI in of all places Pittsburgh.   making homophobic comments might get you a slap on the wrist.  But seeing your previous demons resurface is grounds for a firing

Huggins turns 70 before this season starts. It feels like a 70 year old alcoholic doesn't really have a lot of time left as a Power 5 Conference basketball coach.

Of course this wouldn't be the first time that Huggins getting a DUI would cause him to get fired over the summer.

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

.21 BAC for Huggins. So he didn’t tiptoe over the legal limit, he blew past it.

That BAC is old enough to drink! Seriously though that's REALLY bad. . . . .close to 3x the legal limit.

Edited by Kuetsar

I'd like to think we live in a world where WVU doesn't get to make the decision on whether Huggins coaches next season - because he's behind bars. 

• Like 1

i've never known for prosecutions of notable people to move that quickly short of situations like Huggins pleading no contest to a DUI when he was the Cincy HC

They might revoke his drivers license and act like that's enough of a punishment for someone who could just do a Billy Martin and get a lackey to drive him around

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

i've never known for prosecutions of notable people to move that quickly short of situations like Huggins pleading no contest to a DUI when he was the Cincy HC

They might revoke his drivers license and act like that's enough of a punishment for someone who could just do a Billy Martin and get a lackey to drive him around

He was arrested in a different state than where his license was issued, he’s going to spend a few weeks in the Allegheny County Jail and pay some fines. 

Huggins was arrested a few blocks from the Taylor Swift concert, he could have easily killed someone. 

Edited by Mister TV
  • Like 2

I just can't think of a coach who had it so easy with moderate level of success and just pissed it all way so damn quickly.   The person who really has to be kicking himself is the WVU athletic director Wren Baker.   Four months ago all he had to do was worry about how to deal with his football coach who didn't know what he was doing and was insanely overpaid doing it.  Now Neal Brown is probably the most stable person in West Virginia sports right now.  😔

not sure if there's a waiting period of pondering the next hire for a program that just had their head coach resign but... it feels like they'd just go to an assistant for at least the next season, and then open it up in 9 months

anyways, Huggins sure did stick around for a long time for someone who didn't make it past the Sweet 16 after Robert Byrd died

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

not sure if there's a waiting period of pondering the next hire for a program that just had their head coach resign but... it feels like they'd just go to an assistant for at least the next season, and then open it up in 9 months

anyways, Huggins sure did stick around for a long time for someone who didn't make it past the Sweet 16 after Robert Byrd died

He's a WVU alumni, so that probably bought him a ton of time and goodwill with the poobahs.

Penny Hardaway has been suspended 3 games for "recruiting violations and violating head-coach responsibility rules."

In September of the recruit's junior year of high school, a Memphis assistant coach conducted an in-home visit with the prospect. Two weeks later, Hardaway also held an in-home visit with the recruit. According to NCAA rules, coaches can only have in-person contact with high school juniors at the prospect's school.

The NCAA penalized Hardaway because of his involvement in the violation as well as his failure to monitor his assistant coach's violation and failure to notify the school's compliance department before the visit.

The Division I Committee on Infractions panel classified the violations as Level II-mitigated, which resulted in a three-game suspension. Hardaway, a former Memphis and NBA star, previously told the NCAA he was unaware of the rule.

8 hours ago, Pete said:

EfuFUd4XYAA9u_C.jpg

I dunno why people are picking on him.  HE RAISED MONEY!  He's not a drunk with beer cans everywhere - HE COLLECTS CANS FOR RECYCLING.

Good lord.

Mark Twain was right.  Bob's daughter should have remained silent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dan Hurley and UCONN have agreed to a new 6 year deal

He will be guaranteed almost $33 million

Deal runs through the 2028-2029 season

Former LSU and current McNeese State men's basketball coach Will Wade was given a two-year show-cause order and a 10-game suspension for three Level I violations, the Independent Accountability Resolution Process announced Thursday.

Wade was found to have made impermissible payments to the former fiancée of a player, while also failing to cooperate in an investigation and failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance.

LSU football was hit with one Level I violation for failing to monitor a representative of athletics interests, which resulted in impermissible benefits paid to the father of a former player. The football program and men's basketball program each received a Level II violation for failure to monitor.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/37899194/mcneese-st-coach-wade-gets-10-game-suspension