DVDVR Message Board

2023 NCAA Basketball Offseason Thread

RIPPA

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Former Creighton point guard Ryan Nembhard is transferring to Gonzaga

His brother Andrew is currently playing for the Zags

Wyoming center Graham Ike also announced he was transferring to Gonzaga

Gonzaga also landed Graham Ike, a forward who averaged 19 & 9 for Wyoming two years ago but missed all of last season. And Steele Venters, POY for the Big Sky conference just down the road at Eastern Washington. 

Various news

Montana State hires Matt Logie (D2 Point Loma Nazarene head coach)

Austin Claunch left Nicholls for an assistant job at Alabama. Nicholls hired Tevon Saddler (a Nicholls alum who was coaching at Maryland)

So the open jobs according to Wikipedia: Coppin State and Incarnate Word.

Also there's a Conference realignment news too..

Le Moyne College of DeWitt, New York is moving from the D2 Northeast-10 to the D1 Northeast Conference, as a replacement for St. Francis-Brooklyn. DeWitt is a suburb of Syracuse.

• Like 1

For clarity - the human weasel who sent that to Wicks was apparently upset that Wicks left his job as Wyoming's ASSISTANT coach to take the head gig at Green Bay.

These people. These fucking people.

As somebody who has always had a strong dislike of Bob Huggins:

Screw him.  

Of course, his friends all rushed to his defense with the usual "gee, I've never heard him say anything like that before" comments.  Yeah, he's never said anything like it, he just said it twice and then explained himself with a double down right after, but, sure, he's never said anything like that before.  Yep.  Uh huh.

Huggins is in Bobby Knight mode in West Virginia.  He has been so successful in an area that frankly hasn't had many winners that he kind of runs the place.  And the fans are basically asking the same way they did for Bobby went he finally went too far.    Also helps that he is in a state where calling people the F word isn't looked on like most states.    Do I want to see him fired no but the reality is that if Neal Brown (football coach) said this he would have been gone before the sun went down.  

17 hours ago, Zimbra said:

WVU using this as an opportunity to negotiate his contract down feels kinda scummy even by the standards of college sports.

Yeah. If they were going to donate the million dollars to LGBTQIA+ charities, that would be a gesture. This is just then using him being a dick to save some money while not rocking the boat for team success/ticket sales.

10 hours ago, hammerva said:

The three game suspension is kind of funny given their first 3 opponents I am not even sure they are Division 1 schools.   

Look, I realize I'm biased because I'm as big a fan of the Colonial Athletic Association as any other girl but you don't have to down Monmouth like that.

... okay Monmouth was trash last year. It's a fair shot.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Mike Anderson is suing St John's, on the basis they only fired him in order to hire Pitino.

He's seeking $45.6 million

He almost certainly was fired for that exact reason but I find it interesting that St. John's is saying one of the reasons they fired him is that he's experienced cognitive decline to the point that he's "about gone" mentally. That... is a pretty serious allegation. 

16 minutes ago, Tabe said:

He almost certainly was fired for that exact reason but I find it interesting that St. John's is saying one of the reasons they fired him is that he's experienced cognitive decline to the point that he's "about gone" mentally. That... is a pretty serious allegation. 

What I think is going to really hurt St John's case is that they reportedly offered him a buyout for less than the $11.4 million still on his contract, and only fired him "with cause" after he declined the offer.

• Like 2

Interesting move as Western Illinois jumps from the Summit League to the Ohio Valley. Makes sense financially as the OVC footprint is much more snug... and having been to Macomb, I can venture to guess it won't be nearly as much a bitch for the member schools to get there.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 2:20 AM, Tabe said:

Reportedly some of his credits didn't transfer and he wasn't accepted to the school.